| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LapSteel Intensive w/Campbell & Cashdollar Oct.2-5
Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 10:22 am    

We have finally got registration set up for this weekend of lap steel instruction with Cindy Cashdollar and Darick Campbell. Details and sign up can be found here... http://www.centrum.org/slide/lap-steel.html

Cindy is a master of western swing, country , and blues styles and Darick is a leading proponent of Sacred Steel, a rocking, gospelly genre that moves audiences into a spiritual frenzy. I'd say if you play lap steel this is pretty much a once in a lifetime chance to study with players and teachers of this caliber.

The student population is limited to 20 and folks are already signing up so don't hesitate. This is another presentation of the Port Townsend Slide & Steel Workshop that I am directing. This will be our last one for 2008 and in 2009 we'll be having a week-long session in July with instructors for dobro, lap steel, pedal steel, and bottlenck slide.

I hope to see you there...oj
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 12:38 pm    

If I had any more money to spend on such things, this would be the thing I'd spend it on. My experience with the summer Dobro Intensive was extremely positive. If you want to learn from these people, get thee to Port Townsend!
TonyL

Seattle. WA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 8:34 am    

Argh, I wish I had a little more notice on this one... I'll have to make it down in July.
Ariel Lobos

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 12:21 pm    

Hi,were is townsend located ? I mean the state....maybe the next year I can. regards
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 12:47 pm    

Port Townsend is in Washington state, on the Olympic Peninsula.
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 6:02 pm    

How "beginning" is "beginning"? Obviously the more I know the more I'll get out of it, but will I hurt the class if I'm completely clueless?
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 8:18 am    

We had a wide range of expertise at the Dobro Intensive, from pretty good guys like Lynn and myself to people who had never seen another Dobro player before. One of the things I really liked about the workshop was seeing how people improved. We'd have group jams where everyone takes turn soloing; by the end of the workshop, people who would say "pass" when it was their turn were soloing as well, and doing a pretty good job!

Here are some hints I wrote to someone who asked me in an email about the workshop.

Once you arrive at the Seattle/Tacoma airport, rent a car and drive AROUND the bay. I went down to Tacoma and back up the eastern side of the peninsula. It's a beautiful drive, much better than fighting traffic into and out of Seattle (and cheaper!). Plan on at least 2-1/2 hours. Here's the map:
http://tinyurl.com/5ue5xw

The town of Port Townsend is a great little tourist town with some interesting shopping. Plan on spending at least a bit of time there as well. I got there early and had an ice cream while walking around.

You'll have no problem carrying a lap steel on your flight. I carried my Wechter Scheerhorn resophonic guitar on Virgin, and they were very helpful.

Suggestions for improving your experience at the workshop?
1) Bring paper and pencil or pens. If you read music, bring music sheet paper. Expect to use it. Write down your "ah ha!" moments. You'll thank yourself later.
2) If you have a recorder of some sort (such as the Zoom H2), bring it. You'll want to record at least part of the lessons. Even a cassette recorder will be helpful when you listen back to what you've done.
3) Don't be afraid to ask questions, even stupid ones. I surprised myself with what I didn't know, and the teacher appreciates it if you don't understand and ask for clarification.
4) The rooms where the workshop is held are basic and functional. Find the most comfortable chair you can, and sit close to the teacher without blocking the other students' view.
5) The rooms where you stay are decent. You'll share a room with two to three other students. You'll find the other students pretty friendly if your experience is like mine.
6) The food is GREAT. Try any of the vegetarian items - I usually liked them better than the meat-based dishes, and I didn't expect that.
7) There's a Safeway just down the road in case you need to buy beer, wine, etc. for the late night jams. There will be late night jams. Join in and make noise, or sit back and enjoy. (I prefer to join in!)
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2008 3:52 pm    

Sounds like a terrific time and a once in a lifetime opportunity to get instruction from a couple of world-class players. Even though I'm definitely a beginner lap steeler I'm going. Can't wait!

M.E.
William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 3:12 pm    

I will miss this by two weeks in a trip to the northwest...damn! I took a workshop with Cindy at Fur Peace Ranch a few years ago....she is a very well-organised teacher and warm human being. Port Townsend is a pretty town. I attended the jazz festival there quite some time ago and probably due to Bud Shank's involvement there were stellar acts given the size of the festival. I wish I could relive several pleasant experiences by signing up for this seminar! Crying or Very sad
Judson Bertoch

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 3:50 pm    

Is this going to continue to be an annual event in Port Townsend (future planning purposes)?

I wish two things:

1) there were about 10 more of these seminars- but held at various points across the US for accessibility.

2) Steel w/o Pedals had their own 'Events' category so I could more easily track what's going in my neck of the woods.

Quite jealous of those attending. Please give an overview after you return!
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 11:16 am    

Thanks for the news. I'll make one of these someday. The stars need to line up - time, work, money etc. Smile
Sounds great - thanks for setting these sorts of things up! The more advance notice the better. Do you have a mail list for announcing these?? If yes, sign me up studio@seldomfed.com

chris
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Lynn Oliver

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 11:33 am    

The first slide and steel event was a week long workshop, summer before last, that included slide, reso, lap steel, pedal steel, and sacred steel. If you do a search you can likely find some detailed comments; it was a great experience for everyone involved.

Instructors included Darick Campbell, Bobby Black, Mike Dowling, Sally Van Meter, Orville Johnson, Freddie Roulette, &c.

Since then there have been a series of weekend "intensives," including the recent dobro intensive and the upcoming lap steel intensive. Next summer the week-long inclusive workshop returns, so plan ahead. I don't think you'll want to miss it.
Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 2:38 pm    

If you want updates on the workshop go here...

http://centrum.org/slide/

Look about halfway down the page on the left and you'll see a place to enter your email address to get on the mailing list.
Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 8:56 pm    

Bumping this back up. I can't believe this but we still have spots available for this workshop. hope some more of you might be able to make it...oj
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 1:28 am    

I'm amazed there are still spots available. Current health problems are absolutely the only reason that I didn't sign up when this was first posted. Tried to get on one of Cindy's courses at the Fur Peace Ranch one time, and it had already been booked out for months!
Nick
Lynn Oliver

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:42 pm    

Sadly, I have to report that the Lap Steel Intensive has been canceled. There just were not enough people signed up to make it work.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:48 pm    

we need to do one of those here.
Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 12:33 pm    

I'm really disappointed that we lost this event. I'm sure our national economic distress (thanks a lot, G.W. and your Wall St cronies!) has something to do with it but I'm still bummed. Thanks to those that did sign up and I'm sorry we couldn't pull it off...oj