| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap vs Pedal
Anthony Minstein

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 10:52 am    

I'm curious: What are the advantages of lap steel vs pedal? Is it the natural order for lap players to want to move onto pedal? Or, is it more versatility compared to complexity?

The reason I ask: I sold my pedal some years ago as I just could not spend the time trying to master...I want to get back into steel and am trying to decide between a lap steel, a table dual neck or pedal...opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks, Anthony
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 12:13 pm    

Hello Anthony,

Since you've given up on pedal steel guitars some time ago, perhaps a lap steel guitar or a double neck console steel guitar is the one for you. Smile

Roger
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 12:35 pm    

I think it all depends on the type of music you want to play. Straight non-pedal steel (lap or with legs) is the king of Hawaiian, Western Swing, '50s and earlier country. Also, some blues players prefer them. They are also good for some older swing and big band type jazz, and rockabilly. And these days some rockers are using some straight steel.

Pedal steel has the essential sound of modern country (late '50s forward), country-rock ('70s forward), and is favored for modern jazz. And it seems pedal steel is favored by those experimenting with non-traditional steel genres, such as classical and new-age.

I'm not sure difficulty should figure into the decision. While non-pedal steel seems simpler and easier at first, once you get into slants, complicated chord progressions, and chord substitutions, non-pedal steel is as difficult as it gets. It is actually easier to get a lot of that stuff on pedal steel. The extra strings, pedals and levers were added by former non-pedal steelers who wanted easier ways to get that stuff. Playing simple, traditional, pedal-mashin' stuff can be a lot easier than playing advanced non-pedal steel. There are tons of pedal steelers who can't do diddley on non-pedal steel.

However, pedal steel has some advantages in versatility. You can play a pedal steel in a lap steel style. It's hard to do the opposite.
Anthony Minstein

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 3:55 pm     Lap vs Pedal

Well, Guys....I think I'm going back over to the dark side: I have a line on a single 12 - 8/4, the White Whale that took me leg on a previous voyage.

If the single falls through, I might just head into a lap or table.

And I stand corrected David...In my many years of playing all kinds of instruments, I find every instrument to be equally difficult to play well....I should have said I thought the pedal especially difficult to learn. Though simpler when I just worked the strings and only a pedal or two.
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 4:39 pm    

I'm going to try pedal again 4th time in 20 yrs. I've been playing laps for about 10 yrs. The thing that kills me on pedal is there's so much going on hands, feet, knees, 10 strings. But bottom line is ya just can't get "that" sound on a lap steel. And I love "that" sound.
Will
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 7:05 pm     LAP STEEL vs. Pedal Steel

I started on a Gibson lap steel in about 1948. Moved up to a triple-8 Fender in about the 1950's. The Bigsby 4-neck then captured my heart for many years. My dbl-10 Emmons P/P has more than paid for itself.

My recent love has been my Rickenbacher Bakelites, both 6-7 strings; My Trot-Moore and Ric Fry-Pans.

Regardless of some of the comments herein, I can play all night on any of the aforementioned pedal guitars and most Forumites would likely not be able to tell if it was a pedal guitar or lap steel.

This is not to discredit ANYONE! But HOW the G'tar is played has little to do with WHO manufactured it, what it looks like sitting there or on someone's lap.

You PLAY what you want to hear. The guitar is merely the messenger. YOUR picking style and technique is where it's at.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 7:52 pm    

Well, for me the advantages of the lap steel are that it is cheaper, lighter, and less mechanically complicated. Also, I do a great deal of acoustic playing. While Mr. Doggett's assessment of what has been done on the various types of steel is 100% accurate, I don't let that worry me. I'm going to play whatever comes up on my little 6 string lap guitar. But in my case you will definitely know that it is not a pedal guitar.

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 6:21 am    

I have to throw in my 2 cents...
You see I love all kinds of music, and to my ears some songs just yearn (cry out for pedal steel) I have tried for many years to cheat this with palm pedals,a B Bender, home made bicycle cable contraptions etc. I have finally come to the conclusion that I need 3 different instruments to get all the sounds I hear in my head!

1. Pedal Steel for "that" sound.
2. Lap steel(A6 or C6)for jazz, swing etc.
3. Resonator for acoustic (bluegrass) stuff.

And so each time I am called for a recording session, I have to bring these 3 sounds.

I hope this doesn't make it worse for you, but you asked the question!

Dom Wink
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 6:35 am    

I think I'm gonna print out David Doggett's explanation and frame it just so I don't have to explain the difference for the millionth time when I get asked this question. Thanks David!