| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fantastic Young Hawaiian Talent
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 12:17 am    

His name is Zach Lum, he's a senior at Kamehameha High School.

I first saw him perform a couple of months ago. I sat in awe of his beautiful, rare old-style singing and rhythm guitar work.

On thursday night, I got to hear him sing and play the steel. Again I sat in awe. This young guy can play with the best in the islands today. He's got feel in his playing that surpasses most Hawaiian steel players twice or thrice his age. In fact as I sat there, the only guys his playing brought to mind were my dead heroes. It's that sort of thing that gets you choked up... to sit there and hear this classic style performed so well by such a young person... to realize that these traditions (despite whatever propaganda this or that forum or association may be spouting) are very much alive... and will continue on.

I'm really excited to hear more from this guy.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 11:52 am     Oh man...

This kid sounds really exciting, Jeff. Are there any files you can link us to? It's really encouraging to hear that these kids are out there keeping that style alive. I remember being really blown away by Abe Lagrimas, Jr.'s muscial talent when I first heard him a few years ago. He's not a steel player (yet), but ukulele, vibes, percussion... amazing. I'm guessing that if he ever starts steel, he'll be amazing on it in very short order.

Would love to hear some of Zach's playing sometime.
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 11:59 am    

Hi Jeff!

Haven't seen you here in a long time - I hope you are well!

Like Todd said, some links to this player would be really cool - and so would some new music from you! Smile

All the best,

Fred

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 3:41 pm     Thanx for the info!

Is he one of Alan Akaka's students? I've heard the name.

Where can we on Oahu catch him?

Does he have a myspace or similar?

He and you are the type of players I'd like to see drop by Neil Smith's steel class to give some encouragement, and a bit-o-playing. They can relate to another young'un.

Does he surf?

It amazes me that any kid can ignore the girls and whatevers enuf to focus on getting this far on the steel.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 4:57 pm    

What is this all about?
Quote:
(despite whatever propaganda this or that forum or association may be spouting)
Andy Barlo

Schererville, Indiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 8:34 am    

I too would like to hear some sound clips of this young man's style. Is it possible for you to record him and post it on the forum? Who knows, he could be our next guest player at the AISGC convention.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 6:22 pm    

I'm sure the old traditional Hawaiian style is alive and well. It just isn't in the mainstream, and it's not likely heard by the tourists at the Waikiki hotels.
Good to hear that a young man is dedicated enough to pursue it. Smile
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 7:10 pm    

No, it's not. But it's getting some good CPR and the brain ain't dead yet. So, there's still hope.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 8:57 am    

Jeff says,
Quote:
On thursday night, I got to hear ..(Zach Lum)sing and play the steel. Again I sat in awe. This young guy can play with the best in the islands today. He's got feel in his playing that surpasses most Hawaiian steel players twice or thrice his age. In fact as I sat there, the only guys his playing brought to mind were my dead heroes. It's that sort of thing that gets you choked up... to sit there and hear this classic style performed so well by such a young person... to realize that these traditions .... are very much alive... and will continue on.

Ron asks,
Quote:
Is he one of Alan Akaka's students?

I communicated with Alan Akaka and ask him about Zack Lum. Alan is a teacher at Kamehameha High School where Zach Lum goes to school. This means that Zach is part-Hawaiian. Alan said that Zack was his student and he started playing the steel guitar in 8th grade. Alan showed him some things on the steel at that time and Zack would practice on Alan Akaka's steel in the classroom. He started taking lessons a little more than a year ago and progressed rapidly. He said that Zack is an outstanding student and can pretty much play any instrument that he picks up. On top of that he has near perfect pitch and can sing quite well. Zack is around 15 or 16 and is a junior at Kamehameha. He has a great potential and a lot to look forward to.

Hope this fills in a little more of the story.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 12:58 pm     Zach Lum

Let's hear him. Someone should be able to get a recording of him. Don't make me come over there.
Wally Whoa! Rolling Eyes
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 8:43 pm     I know, it's not the answer you want to hear...

I was asking Alan about Zach last week at The Shorebird show (w/Isaac Akuna), and Zach doesn't play out much. So seeing (not to mention taping) him is nearly impossible, but I'm hoping to asap.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 7:43 am    

Ron,
Alan Akaka has communicated to me that he does want to provide a venue for Zach Lum and other students to play at the Steel Guitar Sunday at the Outrigger Reef Hotel. In fact he has already had a couple play on stage. He also encourages Zach and other students to get out and play with others.

Alan also said that he has two new 8th grade students in Hawaii who want to learn play Hawaiian steel. He said that he has had quite a number of students from Japan and the U.S. Mainland who have taken Hawaiian steel guitar lessons.

Altogether this is a more encouraging picture with some young people wanting to learn Hawaiian lap steel.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 10:32 am    

Yes, Don, things are looking a bit brighter for the steel in regards to new blood. Bobby Ingano has been getting more inquiries for his (limited) time in teaching, as well.
He and Derrick Mau will be the featured guest speakers/players in Neil Scott's steel classroom (near the UH), on the 30th. This will be a semi-regular occurrance, with one or the other doing the guesting duties.
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 3:14 am    

Quote:
Neil Scott's steel classroom (near the UH),...

"near UH" is good enough for big farts and handgrenades, ....but no cigar for finding the door.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 3:29 am    

Back to the original posting subject:

I find it greatly rewarding to hear of and/or see people who put the real stuff into becoming the real stuff; Especially young folks who often aren't living in the best total environment for such accomplishment.

I would be delighted to help Zach in any way I can with limited resources.

I also applaud and tip my hat to Neil Scott. I have been around to several high school band teachers to non-intrusively inform them about resources available to them to include Steel Guitar in their programs; And the results each and every time has been (rather interuptively) (sic) "oh yea ...ho-hum ...I got my own thangs going". I suppose there are those that do have the right stuff, and them that can't / don't or don't want to quite get it. It's amazing to me how often opportunity knocks ....on heads way to hard to realize it.

OK, ...off with my john 3:16 T-shirt and on with my target T-shirt.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 11:13 am    

hey Jeff,
thanks for this news - glad to know young musicians are choosing steel too. Very exciting. Look forward to hearing him sometime.
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 3:07 pm     New Young Hawaiian Talent

[/quote][/b] Hi Jeff, with Alan's Kamehaha Talent coming forth, perhaps the Waikiki Hotels will be staging more Hawaiian Steel than presently there.

As far as hearing some new talent on recordings Jeff,
we still want to hear more of you -- do you have a recording or one that you are on a few cuts. Would appreciate knowing.

Keep up the scouting.

Warren
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 9:23 am    

I wonder what Zach Lum is up to these days?

Here is another young man. He is 14 years old.
His name is Evan Tom. Has anybody heard of him or know anything about him?
He is playing somewhere unknown to me. I can't quite tell what kind of steel he is playing either.

I think there is still the possibility that something could spark a fire in the Hawaiian Steel Guitar scene yet.

Take a listen to this young man.

Evan Playing Hilo March

Evan Playing How D'Ya Do

Aloha,
Don
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 11:33 am    

Man its great to read about and listen to young people playing straight steel. thank you thank you cc
Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 12:18 pm     Young Steel Player --- Even Tom

Don, I never heard of him but he is an inspiration to a lot of young steel players. Let's hope he continues his playing, learning and studying. Where was this, Hawaii, California, Japan, etc. The only negative, I think the sound engineers didn't do him justice.

Perhaps, Kamaka might know of him.

Warren
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 9:09 am    

I want lessons!

Smile
Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 9:42 am     young talent

Right on, checking the other videos he also can rip the ukulele.The notes say that the Evan Tom Band is from the SF Bay area.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 11:29 am    

It's just nice to see Jeff's name pop up again---even if it is only "resurrected" He doesn't post nearly enough anymore. Crying or Very sad
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 12:03 pm    

You think that's sad, Scott, try being on Oahu and still never getting to hear him!
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 4:50 pm    

haha. Thanks guys. Just taking my mentor, Bobby Ingano's advice to spend my free time practicing steel instead of runnin my mouth.