| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need some schoolin' please
Judson Bertoch

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 2:55 pm    

Hi all,

Been lurking for awhile and what a great group and scary level of skill and knowledge.

Newbie hack coming over from the regular guitar world. The world where you can get by with tab and chord diagrams. Not so in this universe...

So I'm starting out. Got past the extremely intimidating choice of what tuning and strings. going with Open E (rock/blues stuff though I would like to be able to lay down some other styles at some point).

Music theory has always been my archilles heel - don't know why but it "bounces off me and sticks to you". I must have a caveman brain when it comes to this...Now I must learn, from a kindergarten level (and speed) how to transpose Open G, D, songs to Open E. Heck, I also need to learn "enough theory" to play the right lead over the I/IV/V.

Any recommendations on books or DVDs or whatever schoolin' for arguable the worst theory student to walk the earth?

PS: anybody from Norfolk/Virgina Beach area here that teaches lap?

Many thanks to all!

PS2: gotta love the forum that doesn't cycle over and over:
Martin vs Taylor
Gibson quality control sucks
Les Pauls are the best/worst guitar ever
How to sweep arpeggio
Botique snob vs. cheap gear guy
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 3:16 pm    

Hi Judson, welcome to the forum.
You don't need to be apprehensive about venturing into the realm of steel guitar.
It's fun at every skill level, a never ending adventure of discovery.
The best tutorial for your particular needs would be Arlen Roth's Lap Steel VHS Tape - I don't think it has been released in DVD format.
It can be hard to find, but there are some copies out there.
He teaches in E tuning and G tuning, and deals with Blues, Rock and Hawaiian genres.

You can check out some of my tutorial videos at http://youtube.com/rickalexander47
They're mostly geared for A6 tuning, but you may find them helpful.

b0b has some great instructional material at http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction/nonpedal.html

BIG STEEL
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 5:33 pm     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 20 Jun 2012 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary Stevenson

Northern New York,USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 6:06 pm    

I have been using open E tuning for over a year and half.AND I am a newbee also. My advise is try and learn either C6 or E9. Unless your talented at finding notes wherever they are on the steel, it may be daunting. What little I have been able to learn on C6, I can already see that it is more suited to pickin leads and fills.My style has ended up being based around the chords with open E and my playing has suffered somewhat.I do ok,but again I would suggest learning C6 or E9. I am up and down the fretboard with open E and with c6 that is not the case. The pockets for chords and notes are closer together, once you learn them.Just my two cents Very Happy Very Happy
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 7:07 pm    

I highly recommend "Edly's Music Theory for Practical People." http://www.edly.com/mtfpp.html
Judson Bertoch

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 5:07 am    

Thanks everyone!

Seems that my attempts to "get theory" are thwarted because people that teach theory know it so well it and it's so ingrained they can have a hard time just doling it out in bits and end up providing too much information too fast with too many tangents. Of course I could be completely wrong about that!!!

Lynn, that's one of two book I just ordered - thnx.

Gary - most helpful information. Man are you right about material. I have 4 or 5 things coming (based on searches of the forum) about Open E but beyond that it's a) try too adapt electric slide material to lap or b) learn theory and be able to play everywhere and transpose anything.

I may just take your advice and switch to C6 or E9, if George can promise that i can indeed get away with blues in that tuning.

I've been mostly successful in things I've undertaken in life but music is the most elusive and hardest things I've ever tried. Should have been one of those hobbies I started at a young age...

Thanks again folks, I just want to make the right choices early on and get on a path to becoming semi-competent and not get frustrated and give up.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 6:12 am    

Welcome to this Great Forum Judson Very Happy

http://dennysguitars.homestead.com/092901_5.html

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/003549.html

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/006204.html
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2008 8:14 pm    

You can get away with anything in C6. You just need the patience to learn it. IMHO the most versatile tuning available.

As for theory, I always recommend beginning with, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory," even if you're not a complete idiot. It doesn't get any simpler than that for beginners. And there are suggestions for further reading in the back.