| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  9th. string lower ??
Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 12:28 pm    

I have been away from the steel scene for 6 years and now I'm noticing that most all players are lowering the wound 9th. st. 1/2 tone on the e/9 . Can someone tell me how this is mostly used and what pedal is the change hooked to? Thanks
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 12:37 pm    

Most put it on the knee lever that lowers the 2nd string to D/C#.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 12:52 pm    

Hi Ben. Generally, it is on RKR with the 2nd lower to D/C# per Richard's post. Adding the ninth string lower to C# makes a sorta nice feel half stop for the 2nd string change as I'm sure you already know.

Try this as an ending lick. Play strings 6, 8, and 9...engage B pedal raising 6 one half step, then lower 9 a half tone with that KL, in that order, as strings are sustaining. Very pretty.

I remember your name from several years ago as being pretty heavily involved with the pedal steel community, so I'm sure you'll be back on top of things in no time Smile
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 1:08 pm     Sus 4

The lowering 9 string is a very useful change. When playing a major chord with a Dom7 on string 9, makes a great counterpoint resolution to the 1 root with A+B.
Releasing the 9th string with A+B gives you a min3 from the open 10 string, giving you a SUS4 change as well...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 4:16 pm     lotsa good stuff!

...also, for slow pretty stuff, try this arpeggio 9,8,6,5,4, with the B pedal down...then pull the 9th string lower in whilst it's all sustaining Cool
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 3:54 am    

My opinion is that it is best to understand what it does, It lower the 9th string 1/2 tone to the same note as the natural 10th string with the B pedal engaged.

D to C# 9th string

B to C# 10th string

the most simple usage is swapping the 10th string in a 10,8,6 AB pedal ending pulling UP to the 10 the string C# for the resolve chord vs using strings 9,8 and 6 with the AB pedal and lowering 9 to the C# resolve.

Lower down to the resolve rather than raise UP to it. totally different tonality.

On my website are a few project songs that use the 9th lower and described as so.

Silver Wings has a few variations... you can hear them on the lower string chord resolves.

www.tprior.com

great change

tp
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 7:05 am    

I've got at least 6 tabs on this and a lot more uses in some of the songs I've recorded and tabbed out on my web site. The tabs listed below also have audio files so you can hear what they sound like.

My Web Site Main Page

Tab Page 1 E9th - Key of C - 6/9 Chord Ending
Tab Page 4 E9th - Nice Chord Sequence! - Key of C
Tab Page 5 - E9th - Drop 10th String A Full Tone - Key of C - Plus 6/9 Chord! (K also drops string 9 a half tone)
Tab Page 6 - E9th - Practical Use of 2nd And 9th String 1/2 Tone Lower - 2 Examples
Tab Page 9 - Tab 405 - Key Of E - Use Of 9th String 1/2 Tone Lower And 10th String 1 Tone Lower - New sounds!
Tab Page 9 - Tab 439 - E9 - Key Of D - More C6 sounds on E9

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger