| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1947 Dickerson amp now working!
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 1:01 pm    

In the Magnatone thread of a few weeks ago I posted pics of this amp in pieces and in need of a speaker recone. I found a gentleman, Hank Brazeal, in Hoover, Alabama that could repair the speaker. The problem was, for other recone shops, the speaker was a 7 1/2 unit that no one had parts for. Hank is a antique radio speaker repair man and he had parts for my speaker! Here is the speaker after he worked his magic:

This little amp got its power cord rewired and a few ugly solder joints refloated while I was inside the chassis. It has all original caps (scary I know) but they look fine and there is no hum. I cranked it up and it sounds fantastic. It is fairly loud for what it is and breaks up real nice when you push it. It will make a neat recording amp. It will no doubt sound even better after the speaker cone breaks in a bit. Here is pic of the completed amp with the matching '47 Dickerson lap steel.

Hank recieved my speaker on a Friday (ups tracking) and called my the following Tuesday that the speaker had been completed! The total cost was $67 including return shipping. What a cool deal. Hank is 85 years old and does this in his "spare" time. If anyone has something with an old and weird speaker in it, I would highly recommend Hank Brazeal for a recone. You can email me for his phone #.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 2:17 pm    

Cool little amp and a great find for the re-cone ... I love a happy ending Smile
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 5:25 pm    

Good to hear you really found someone to fix that odd-ball speaker!! Very Happy
Gary Stevenson

Northern New York,USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 6:23 pm    

So very kool to retrieve an old amp and not toss it out for some new amp without the soul.