| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel on Billboard Top Ten Rap/ Hip-Hop CD
Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 10:19 pm    

I did a session last year for Platinum Souls, a Christian rap group. They wanted a rock guitar vibe on one of their songs, so I did all of the pre-requisite metal-aggro licks and riffs. After a few passes they had everything they wanted, and asked me if I heard anything else. Naturally I happened to have a lap steel with me, and played a few notes with the track. To my complete amazement they loved it, and I played the following take, of which they used every note. It gave me hope for the future.
The title cut off of the album "Dey Don't Know" went to #2 on the Billboard Rap/Hip-Hop charts.
LAP STEELS RULE!!!!

http://www.ourstage.com/music/archive/entry/DYNGRHRRHLZU-great-god-feat-steve-cunningham

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 1:26 am    

Hope for the Future indeed Very Happy
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 1:40 am    

Congrats, great job Steve! Very Happy

Steinar
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 4:10 am    

Just goes to show how versatile the lap steel can be. Your playing and tone seemed to fit really well with the song and the artist obviously thought so as well. You're doing a great job of carrying the instrument into the future.
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 5:26 am    

Great job Steve....It's all good for the lap steel...there is hope!!!
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 6:39 am    

Good work! Not only is your playing great, but you've opened up a whole new field of employment for us lap steel players.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 8:04 am    

Cool Steve ... slowly but surely, lap steel is re-taking the world Cool
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 8:28 am    

That's really cool. I like how they mix the sample from "Vehicle" from the Ides of March with the lap steel. Good job, Steve!
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 10:18 am    

Wow! Awhile back I said if you ever hear a steel guitar on a Hip Hop hit, it's future will be assured. Well, here it is already! So many barriers broken here. Steel on a rap hit. Christian rap #2 on Billboard. Now what will all the vehement Forum critics of rap say?

Although there is a lot of spoken poetry with rhythm backing on this song, there is a melodic part; and the steel plays it and embellishes it. And it's religious talk instead of trash talk. Rap is simply the more rhythmic part of the spectrum of rhythm-and-blues.

If this genre is not someone's cup of tea, no big deal. Everyone doesn't have to like every kind of music. But this completely blows away the common criticisms that it's noise and not music, and that it's all anti-social trash.

The world of music is wide open for steel guitar these days. While it is no longer universal in commercial country the way it once was, it is still in many top modern country radio hits. Lap and pedal steel are common in alt-country. The Campbell Brothers are one of the top R&B/gospel groups touring the country. Robert Randolph has taken steel to the top of the blues-rock world. There are some fairly prominent jazz steelers out there. People are playing steel with symphony orchestras and chamber groups. And steel is increasingly used in experimental music. Steel may never again rival guitar as the lead instrument in a whole genre, the way it once did in country music. But the music world is wide open for anyone to play any genre they choose on steel. Good for you Steve! Very Happy