| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A point that begs for an explanation..................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 3:47 pm    

This will be primarily for the more knowledgeable individuals with a possible background in Rickenbacher steel guitars.

In another post, a Forumite has started the clean-up and refurbishing of an olde post war Rick....and has just had the metal plates re-done.

On that specific guitar, the photo's show a push-button on the player's side of the g'tar.

I purchased a prewar Rick some years back that had two of those push-buttons.

WHAT WERE THEY FOR? WHO most likely would want to interupt the natural flow of the Rickenbacher sound?
He has one and mine had two........so what's the difference and why the variation? Were these factory or later mechanics at work?
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 7:22 pm    

Is this the one you were referring to? STEVE
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 9:13 pm    

Looks like a stutter switch. They're cool about once - maybe twice a night,but cool nonetheless in rockabilly and western swing. I don't think I'd drill a hole in a ricky plate like that to mount it though. There's other reversable ways do do it with push/push switching pots and such. But hey I've butchered guitars much worse than that back in the day when they could be had in hock shops for $50. Who knew?
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 10:49 am     The push-button thingie.............

Yes Steve, that's the one.
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 3:03 pm     Re: A point that begs for an explanation..................

Ray Montee wrote:
This will be primarily for the more knowledgeable individuals with a possible background in Rickenbacher steel guitars.

In another post, a Forumite has started the clean-up and refurbishing of an olde post war Rick....and has just had the metal plates re-done.

On that specific guitar, the photo's show a push-button on the player's side of the g'tar.

I purchased a prewar Rick some years back that had two of those push-buttons.

WHAT WERE THEY FOR? WHO most likely would want to interupt the natural flow of the Rickenbacher sound?
He has one and mine had two........so what's the difference and why the variation? Were these factory or later mechanics at work?

Ray,
I don't think I've ever seen one added button and certainly not two. What kind of sound effect do they have on your steel?
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 3:56 pm     Actually..................

With regard to the two electronic buttons on my Ric, to be perfectly honest I noticed NOTHING BENEFICIAL.

With one of them depressed, I got the impression I had FULL TREBLE turned on somewhere.

With the other one depressed, I got the impression I had FULL BASS turned on somewhere.

Aside from that, I noticed nothing worthwhile. I could not make mine do an 'electronic cut-off' as some have speculated about.....Speedy West style.

I put them inside my hollow body g'tar and forgot them.........