| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Selecting a Resonator instrument.
Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 6:40 am    

I already have a Reissue Tricone Roundneck made by National which I love. I am considering getting a Single Cone instrument.

-How do the National Style O w/ 14 frets Guitars compare to Duolians and Triolians?

-Are there competitive instruments (Republic, Amistar or other {not Johnson or Dean-no offense}) that are close to National Sound and reliability?

-Any input, feedback, experience will be appreciated.
Feel free to write directly to me at: buckdilly@yahoo.com

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 1:29 pm     Re: Selecting a Resonator instrument.

Buck Dilly wrote:
-Are there competitive instruments (Republic, Amistar or other {not Johnson or Dean-no offense}) that are close to National Sound and reliability?

Hi Buck,

Michael Messer - UK slide guitarist and long-time National player and aficionado - is just putting out his own range of budget resos, and the idea behind them was getting the closest possible to the original 1930s Nationals on a budget. The first two models are called "Blues" (Duolian) and "Lightning" (Style O). He has sound samples and info on his website:

http://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/MICHAEL%20MESSER%20RESONATOR%20GUITARS.htm

I have nothing to do with the sale of these guitars and have not played one, but they seem to be stirring up quite some interest (there is a 14-page (!) thread about them on Michael Messer's forum here).

The "Blues".

The "Lightning".

Hope that is of interest!

Cheers,

Fred

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 1:44 pm    

Gotta disuade the offerring of off forum/personal contacts. We all want the info and ability to discuss the matter/s.

I'd like some input as to who makes a very sweet sounding resonator, as opposed to the way too common more harsh tones by most I've tried.
I recently had the opportunity to try an early 3 digit serial # National #4 tri cone that was incredibly mellow and smooth singing, sounding like an electric at times.

Who makes an accoustic like this?

I'd rather have a softer volume with nice tone than loud but harsh.

Thanx for the link and Messer products, Fred!
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 2:01 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
I'd like some input as to who makes a very sweet sounding resonator, as opposed to the way too common more harsh tones by most I've tried.
I recently had the opportunity to try an early 3 digit serial # National #4 tri cone that was incredibly mellow and smooth singing, sounding like an electric at times.

Who makes an accoustic like this?

I'd rather have a softer volume with nice tone than loud but harsh.

Thanx for the link and Messer products, Fred!

Hi Ron,

Here are more links for you! Smile What you ask about is pretty much what I look for too, and I know the man who makes the sweetest sounding Tricone I have heard - Mike Lewis of Fine Resophonic in Paris, France:

http://www.fineresophonic.com/

His instruments ain't cheap, but he's amazingly good at what he does! I have had the pleasure of visiting Mike's workshop a few times over the last year, and have played his squareneck maple Tricone - it is a wonderful instrument with a very well rounded tone - not harsh at all. Here is a pic of me the last time I played it, at a guitar show in London in June:

It was modelled on the hollowneck original Tricone design (I think it has the same measurements) but made out of maple instead of German silver.

And here is Mike outside his workshop with a 1930s National Estralita he restored:

Believe it or not, this is what it looked like before the restoration:

Shocked

So, that's the second "heads up" in an hour from me about a product I have no financial connection to Smile, but as this is a guitar I have played and love it is one I can wholeheartedly and highly recommend!

Fred

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 2:10 pm    

Ron,
"I'd rather have a softer volume with nice tone than loud but harsh."
You might wanna look for a Dobro from the 1930's then. I bought my 1935, M-32 for $800.00 about 5 years ago. The National single cones have a rather harsh sound. That's what they're known for. Bright. The old Dobros have the cone facing in the other direction, and have a very sweet, and not as loud sound. Much more akin to a Tri-cone.
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/dobro.html

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 2:26 pm    

You should pick up a copy of the National Resophonic catalog directly from National Resophonic Guitars. It includes an audio CD with samples of all their guitars.
http://www.nationalguitars.com
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 4:59 pm    

Quote:

Ron, I'm curious as to what guitars that you've tried that you would characterize as "harsh." It's kind've difficult to make recommendation if we don't have any idea what constitutes "harsh."

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 5:15 pm    

Mark, can't give you a bunch of names, but I give a quick strum to every one that I come accross here in resonator scarce Oahu, and they give a differing but always blarring clang that isn't at all pleasant. Like that is what they are made to do these days. Doing the same on the National I mentioned doesn't come off that way at all. About the best so far was a Fender, and it wasn't all that sweet.
Even Greg Sardinha played my friends Nat. and said it was really sweet sounding, more than any other he's come accross, and he should know.

I'm also wondering if the change to a new and beefier tail piece would have been a factor to this particular Nat's. sounding nicer. It was (almost) totaly hammered and repaired by National, and they added the heftier tail piece.

Fred, those do look awesome. Mahalo!

Thanx, Brad, and John!
AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 6:24 pm    

Fred, he's in the US the price hike for your suggested dealers would be astronomical with the exchange rate. Republic is US and somewhat the same as the Michael Messers. Johnson and Dean, I'd pass too. fine resophonic, another category of quality and price point as are vintage ones.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 6:56 pm    

Yeah, the price thing was something I was trying to ignore...
Maybe it's time for an 8 string Wishenborn... www.wishnevsky.com

Or,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjjymj9ivCg

Then again, just checked out the Ellis page, and the prices are above my dreams.
AJ Azure

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 10:27 am    

Speaking of tailpieces..what do you think of this for a tricone?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/caophatagofo.html

seems beefier
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 1:27 pm     I wouldn't...

Not only would it be a drastic contrast to the body, it looks to need redrilling the body to fit.
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 1:42 pm    

Here is another place that might be worth asking around!!

http://www.resohangout.com/

It is kind of new but it is growing like a weed!!!

Fred,

I think you would like it there also!!
AJ Azure

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 3:48 pm     Re: I wouldn't...

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Not only would it be a drastic contrast to the body, it looks to need redrilling the body to fit.

Yeah I was hoping that bottom screw hole was the right positioning. there are other similar models with a strap button hole that might work. I really do not like the stock tailpiece looks wise nor for the fact that it is so thin AND the popping out balls (I know lol) as you re-string.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 4:18 pm    

Hey Buck,

If you are looking for a single cone instrument, with a round neck, does it have to be a metal body?

Because if I were you, I would check out www.Beardguitars.com

In addition to their squareneck guitars for which they are most well-known, Paul and company are making some killer roundneck, wood body resos.

Paul had a booth out here last year at our Healdsburg Guitar Festival. I was mostly into the squareneck guitars (had to wear a drool cup around my neck while taking some of those for a test drive so that it wouldn't drip onto the guitars!), but in addition to the squarencks, he brought some great roundneck resos as well.

And if you don't want to go full boat on the real Beards, you should look into the Asian built Goldtone Beards, also available in roundneck, some good bang for the buck.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 4:40 pm    

Again. I would suggest an old Dobro. Both of mine are round necks. This one is a Regal-built Dobro from 1937. It was $700 last year. It's the best-sounding reso I've ever heard! Why buy a new one when you can get a great old one for less moola? One's gonna increase in value, the other ain't!

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 5:20 pm    

John, we can feed Buck all of these different opinions, but he really needs to play guitars from different categories.

I have a 1930 squareneck Dobro(I have had it since 1976), sounds sweet, but it's not my main instrument anymore, that would be my Clinesmith.

I love old Dobros, but on some of the quality modern resos, the sustain and the use of the whole body to generate the sound, instead of it mostly coming out of the center because of the soundwell design on the old Dobros, is something to be considered.

Pre-war Dobros seem to be taking a turn back up in value from where they were a few years back (which is good for John, and good for me), but personally, that would be one of the last things on which I would base my buying decision - it's not like you can buy one for $1,000 and it'll double in a few years, and then you sell it for a profit - it won't appreciate anything like that.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 12 Aug 2008 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 5:20 pm    

I pretty much concure, John, but in these parts of the Pacific, we ain't got a lot to pick from, and without trying them out, it'd be a losing proposition, for me anyway.
Plus I want 8 strings, so that takes me out of most ball parks, and cheap, which about eliminates it.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 5:31 pm    

Ron, if you're looking to find something with eight strings, along the price of the Fender you earlier posted about, as you said, that just about eliminates it - not only on Oahu, but for the entire country!

I've come across some of those Fender resos that are some of the worst things I have ever heard.

That said, luthier Gregg McKenna who is a member here posted one time on one of the forums that he took a Fender squareneck, gave it some new "innards" with a high quality cone etc. and mad it sound pretty good.

Now here is an option for you: One of my local dobro buddies got an 8 string squareneck from Gregg that was sort of an unfinished kit form, and took it to a local guy that did a nice job on the finish, I couldn't tell you how much $ he had into the thing, but it was a lot lower in cost than an 8-string Beard. And Gregg McKenna makes some nice guitars.

www.mckennaguitars.com

Of course, we now have two threads going here at once -a roundneck for Buck, and an 8 string squareneck for Ron! Smile

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 6:01 pm    

Great ideas, Mark!

Between that and Jim Wishnevsky, I might end up with something before Buck does!

Well, I have been having some interesting dreams lately...