| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what is the grand ole opry coming too??
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:12 pm    

I heard a performer on there tonight that would make roy acuff or ernest tubb roll over in there grave. the grand ole opry has turned into pure pop if its even that. some guy that won american something sang tonight and it was downright terrible. I thought well this first song might just be a bad pick but lord the second one was worse.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:18 pm    

That's easy,a rock and roll show,with very BAD rock and roll.DYKBC.

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 8:08 pm    

Whadda ya mean what is it coming too ?
It's already there.
It's been there now for quite some time Evil Twisted Alien
Ray Jones

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 8:45 pm    

They nearly broke their necks to get Carrie Underwood inducted as fast as they did. She may be a beautiful pop singer but I don't think she belongs on the Opry. She really is not country. But I guess that doesn't matter with her looks.
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 9:55 pm    

Gotta love a nice fresh topic!

Quote:
That's easy,a rock and roll show,with very BAD rock and roll.DYKBC.

There has always been a mixture of styles on the Opry if you'll study it's history; why do you let the parts you don't like define the whole show for you?

Great country and bluegrass acts like Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Jack Green,, Del McCoury, Connie Smith, Gene Watson, Elizabeth Cook, The Timejumpers, Jimmy C. Newman, Emmylou Harris etc. are a part of the Opry too, to repeat the same negative rants over and over doesn't change that reality.

And while y'all are talking about how bad the Opry sucks Tommy White is sitting there playing his heart out (and his ass off!) every week! Cool

Last edited by Pete Finney on 9 Aug 2008 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:20 pm    

Most of the programming on TV is garbage. I take that as given, so I don't even bother watching CMT or the Grand Ole Opry.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 2:29 am    

We're doomed.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 5:49 am    

David,your statement is the epitome of simplicity and it reminds me of the famous last words of the Titanic's Captain where he asked "How much time do we have".
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 6:04 am    

Doom & gloom!

When I hear some of the older artist still on the GOO, I cringe!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 7:13 am    

I think it's just the TV part of the show that most of 'em are griping about and the producers are trying to get the most viewers that they can. I've been to the Opry several times in the last few years and it's still a great show and I agree about Tommy W. sitting there "playing his @$$ off" cause he does on every performance. I'd suggest if you're in Nashville to go to the Tuesday night Opry. The last time I was there I saw John Conlee, Jesse McReynolds, Jack Green, Terri Clarke, and a couple of younger artists who were actually pretty good.....JH in Va.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 7:42 am    

Quote:
... to repeat the same negative rants over and over doesn't change that reality.

You mean this isn't the "REAL Country Steel Guitar Rant Forum"? I musta' taken a wrong turn in Louisville or somethin'. Laughing

Quote:
I think it's just the TV part of the show that most of 'em are griping about and the producers are trying to get the most viewers that they can.

I agree. "TV" and "quality" are largely oxymoronic these days, to my tastes.

For a while, when I first came on this forum, I hadn't been to the Opry in a while and comments here made me think that it was a just a steady stream of Bon Jivy clones in torn jeans. Wrong - just look at the tentative calendar here - http://www.opry.com/TicketsAndInformation/Calendar.aspx

Look - the Opry has evolved over a period of many decades. There is no choice. I'm also bummed that we can't see DeFord Bailey, Uncle Dave Macon, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Faron Young, Johnny Paycheck, Ernest Tubb, Hank Snow, Lester Flatt, Bill Monroe, Patsy Cline, Gary Stewart, Johnny Cash and June Carter, and many others. But I'm very sorry to report that they're not coming back. We're gonna have to move on - time waits for noone.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 8:51 pm     Goo

I don't have a problem with new acts coming on the GOO but for goodness sakes looks like the opry would try to keep it country at least. Some of the performers I've seen don't have anymore business on the GOO than a swimsuit contestant would. Tommy White is one reason a lot of folks even watch some of this mess. I believe there should be more groups like the Timejumpers and more singers like Jack Greene, Jeannie Seely, Jimmie Dickens, etc. out front. It appears to me that it's not about the music anymore. Maybe I missed the boat!
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 9:13 pm    

Bill Anderson told me the other day that they were gonn start a Thursday nite Opry CLASSIC COUNTRY ONLY !!!!!!!!!!
We'll see !
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 9:34 pm    

Quote:
Bill Anderson told me the other day that they were gonn start a Thursday nite Opry CLASSIC COUNTRY ONLY !!!!!!!!!!

From the forum, just a week or so ago:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=138588&start=0
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 10:35 am    

ok..just a coupla things...leslie..nice shirt..my dad was born in ituna, saskatchewan...anywhere near you?

theresa..goo should be lots better when your favorite nashville star contestants get on!

did gary stewart die? if so, i'm bummed..anyone know the details?
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 11:32 am    

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, Chris - this happened 5 years ago, self-inflicted gunshot wound. Wikipedia has the story on Gary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Stewart
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 7:50 pm    

thanx dave, sorry to hear that. i was inspired greatly by gary.
Geoff Brown

Nashvegas
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 9:17 pm    

The current state of affairs at the Opry is nothing new. Patsy Cline was not a country artist. Unlike Carrie Underwood, I can listen to Patsy sing all day (well, maybe part of a day)...but she was not a country artist. People like Patsy, Jim Reeves...they sang nice pop songs that appealed to the masses and sold records. How many artists did Chet Atkins produce at RCA, who stood on the Opry stage who were more pop than country artists?
Country music has always had a strong crossover element to it's makeup. I think some of today's "country" (i.e.: the manufactured music that is fed to the sheeple) is some of the worst pop music I've ever heard. But it's not like it's uncharted territory for the genre.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 1:37 am    

Maybe we could watch Charlie Pride singing with his son again on the TV portion, I'm thinking that even the sponsors changed the channel when that happened !
Ellis Miller

Cortez, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 9:36 am    

Years ago Hank Thompson told me a story about not being able to take drums on the Opry. At the time he had a hit on "Whoa Sailor" which had a very definitive drum lick. According to Hank, they finally let him use the drums but they were placed back stage and out of sight of the audience.

It seems like there is always somebody pushing the evelope.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 10:22 pm    

Pete,

I agree with you 100%. I really dug you on the GOO a few weeks ago with Patty.

Your Nashville peers (musicians) deserve more respect than they receive here among "friends".

Keep up the great work you do on stage.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 8:19 am    

When I complain about the goo,IT'S about the tv portion,There are thousands like myself that can not make it to Nashville often,I am NOT talking about the great pickers like Pete or Tommy,these guys are cream of the crop,Once in a while you will see a REAL country artist on the TV portion,But MOST is just warmed over 70's rock and roll,whatever is in the top ten on the so-called country charts.Same on the awards shows,when they have guests such as Elton John [Elton is one of my FAVORITE pop artists]but he's not country,that's like having a heavy metal awards show and Earnest Tubb [if he was still alive]as a guest.DYKBC.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 9:53 am    

I generally prefer Prairie Home Companion.

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 10:03 am    

I'm with b0b on this one.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 1:03 pm    

The Opry stays young but a lot of the members have changed....They got old and some have out lasted their talents..I guess its safe to say that 95 years of age is the current manditory retirement age Smile .It would be nice if things lasted more than ones lifetime..But even the audience only has one lifetime Wink The Opry has to retool the talent to continue or start playing old syndicated tapes..I'd like it to be a little more Country and I got my wish thats all thats left now is a little Country. But whats to complain it was what I loved in my lifetime..well lets not use that lifetime word too much Sad Darn it My 1968 chevy won't run guess I'll have to get a new one..This time I'll get a 69 chevy... Laughing