| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seriously... Would You Do It Again?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 12:30 pm    

Looking back on 20 or 30 years of chasing licks and styles of other players, only to learn that there are those that prevent the majority of players from
reaching such goals. The accumulated efforts on the part of steel guitar players justifies the inquiry. If you've failed in reaching specified goals, would you do it again, should it be possible to do so?
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 1:06 pm     Chasing the "Byrds" sound !! = a failure !!

Hi Bill , I started playing Hawaiian guitar in 1945 and when I first heard Jerry Byrds music in 1946 or 1947 I just had to have that "tone" !! After 63 years of changing guitars , amplifiers , new speakers , tone gadgets etc etc I realize that I have failed and will never ever attain that "sound" !! But I have enjoyed just playing so all was not lost !! Eddie "C" ( the old non-pedal geezer )
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 1:29 pm    

quote:

"only to learn that there are those that prevent the majority of players from reaching such goals"

Would you elaborate on that please?

I guess I have always failed because as soon as I reach one, I put another in front of me...Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 2:57 pm    

Honestly, no. Neutral
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:50 pm    

John,

The sky is the limit as far as the subject of elaboration goes. This thread is intended for those who may have second thoughts about spending a lifetime of serious practicing, only to achieve minimal levels of expertise. Finding a favorable niche that results in high levels of accomplishments, could be the answer for endless hours of practicing. I find it hard to believe that anyone could enjoy "playing" the steel more than I. Still, reality is a powerful force to turn away from.
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:07 pm    

Bill,
I don't do that - never have. This might be very conceited of me, but I play what I want for the most part. I hate copying licks. I know there are some "signature" licks that make the song what it is, but for the most part, I play the melody, and make up my own variations of it. If playing music was 100% copying licks I would have never started.

I suppose you'll never see me on the Opry or any other big venue, but, thems the breaks. At least I enjoy what I do play.

Joe
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:25 pm     Chasing those licks!

Had it not been for Roy Wiggins, who first caught my attention on all of those great Eddy Arnold tunes, I likely would never have discovered the fabulous SOUND of Jerry Byrd.

THAT elusive SOUND was so compelling....I just had to achieve it, even if only one time.......

Studying those many "back-up" phrases that Jerry did on those fabulous old 78 rpm records of Neil Burris, Hawkshaw Hawkins, The York Brothers, Cowboy Copas and the hundreds of others with whom Jerry recorded. Those sounds were the foundation for my learning experience.

Had I not had them to chase, the steel guitar would have been little more than just another instrument. It was more than just sitting down and playing tab. It took hours of 'digging' to discover each new phrase.

NOW, having invested so many years and hour upon hour into studying and attempting to perfect THAT SOUND.....I feel I've failed miserably in my attempt to become "SOMEBODY" in the music world. I'm very disappointed in my outcome and yet, I CAN SAY, that
all of this playing and the many musical disappointments that came with it, is what gave me
the will to go on another day.

There were indeed many wonderful highlights along the way and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:46 pm    

I'd not only do it all again, if I could live my life over, I'd start playing steel 15 years earlier than I did.

I think taking up the steel was one of the best decisions I ever made in my entire life.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 7:04 pm    

I'd do it all over again with one addition, I think I'd concentrate on singing a lot more. I sang a bunch when I was a kid and for the first couple of years of my musical career and then just quit it altogether. Years later after a lapse of over twenty years I tried it again and couldn't hardly carry a tune. If I'd kept it up I might have had a passable voice to help get gigs. I've been passed over by lesser guitarists for a gig because they could also add some vocals to the show!..........JH in Va.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 4:58 am    

Mike,

Artistic abilities become a matter of concern after three decades of wishful thinking, in terms of making the grade among the best in the business. For those who may have had signals early on, that reaching levels of perfection, might never become a reality, consolation of any sort doesn't help. There is a great need for heeding those early signals that something is amiss, unless mediocrity satisfies personal requirements. For most, there exists that common competitive force that tempts a player to keep trying to excel.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 6:50 am    

I agree with Joe. I have never tried to imitate another artists style, or licks. I hear the song, play the melody, add a few licks, whatever comes to my head, and for myself, and anyone listening, it sounds like the song. Everyone is a individual. Why try to duplicate that style of someone else. Also when I play my 5-string in traditional bluegrass, I do not try to imitate, or copy annothers style. Yes, I do Scruggs style, but I don.t pick note for note of his picking. Be yourself, and let the music flow out of you, as your inner self is the artist doing it.

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 6:51 am    

I refuse to beat myself up over my limitations!

As with anything in life, priorities control our situations...I have not taken my musical career to any heights what-so-ever...but I have balanced my music with staying home and raising 6 kids and now 17 grandchildren along with 44 years (Today is my anniversery)of marriage to my good wife and best friend.

I have played with many, many good friends and played a whole lot of fun music...at much smaller venues than most of you...but it satisfied my "Need to play".

I have frustrated myself at times because I haven't spent as much time in the "Woodshed" as I should have but that's life...I wouldnt change a thing.

I have "Got it all!! Smile
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:20 am    

I haven't started on PSG yet but after 40 years of playing guitar I am to the point where I could stand on stage with anyone who plays in my genre, and that is a good feeling.
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:26 am    

I'm to lazy to copy other players or their licks.
I've kicked myself for it many times, but i guess that's what makes me sound like me in the end.
I've heard more than one player sound like Paul Franklin, and as much as i respect their skills i prefer the original.

I do try to figure out and adapt what it is that makes a certain player or song sound a certain way, but to me that's more about understanding music and musical expression than copying notes.

And yes, i would defentively do it again!
And i'd start much earlier.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:52 am     Re: Seriously... Would You Do It Again?

Bill Hankey wrote:
If you've failed in reaching specified goals, would you do it again, should it be possible to do so?

I have not achieved the artistic goals that I set for myself some 60 years ago.

I have been moderately successful on the commercial side, as I have made enough money to give my family a better lifestyle and to enjoy a few things that my "day job" would not have allowed.

So, would I could do it all over again?

YES. It has been worth the frustrations and disapointments. [/b]
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 8:16 am    

I have a couple philosophies that I would like to share:

-Set your expectations low and you will rarely be disappointed.

-Leave the masters to masterful work and just be good at doing the simple stuff.

We are all masters of something and realizing what that is can help avoid unwanted frustration. Just learn to master the simple stuff and you will be working non-stop as a steel guitarist. Let's face it the average patron of a club does not want to hear fancy stuff. They want the simplest thing you can imagine. Once you learn to that you can trick them all by mastering simplicity.

Once one comes to the realization that we will never play as good as Austin Stewart, then we can achieve the next level, acceptance and move on to mastering the simple stuff.
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 10:18 am    

Ulf Edlund wrote:
I'm to lazy to copy other players or their licks.
I've kicked myself for it many times, but i guess that's what makes me sound like me in the end.

And yes, i would defentively do it again!
And i'd start much earlier.

My feelings exactly!

Joe
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 10:27 am    

same here...start sooner, practice more!

i've never been good at playing like anyone else...i steal whatever lick i can remember and throw it on the fire...it all burns up and comes out as whatever i could make happen at the time...i've had a great time for close to 40 years.....i've forgotten every instrumental i ever learned so i don't frequent steel guitar jams!!
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 2:19 pm    

I wouldn't have changed a thing. Everything seemed to fall into place as it must have been meant to be.

Jack Francis,
Your reply was "Outstanding" as to your thoughts of your family.

Definitely Admirable. "Happy Anniversary on your 44 years as well..." Cool
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 3:22 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
I'd not only do it all again, if I could live my life over, I'd start playing steel 15 years earlier than I did.

+1

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 3:26 pm    

Matthew Prouty wrote:
mastering simplicity

One of the most profound things ever.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 5:11 pm    

yes, I would do it all again and I would set harder goals earlier in the game !

last night I was jamming with a friend for an upcoming gig, I was playing mostly on the 6 string.( tele)

I was playing things that go from the 1 to the 4 and 5 to 1 within the same fret positions with brief solo's and phrasings. TJ remarked..how and when did you figure that stuff out ?

I said..way too late..It all came to me probably 15 years after I had been playing. I was too busy trying to look cool with long hair while playing way too loud and not paying attention the music Sad

Early on I was just trying to learn what others were playing then finally I came to my senses and started learning where that stuff was coming from. From there the stuff I was hearing just kinda arrived ( within reason of course ) .

next time around I'm gonna learn the Instruments and where the music comes from first, it's way easier that way..at least for me..
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 5:18 pm    

I would do it over again except with less wives and more guitars.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 9:35 pm    

Bill Hankey
Quote:
For most, there exists that common competitive force that tempts a player to keep trying to excel.
I may not ever excel but I'll guarootee I'll have a good time.
http://stuartlegg.com/stuartlegg2/Gig.html
sometimes too good of a time. http://www.boleggs.com/boleggsmoose/Gig.html
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 12:20 am     psg

Would I do it all over again. Sure. I used recordings of steel guitars for years to draw from, as well as, picking up little things from most everybody I played with over the years. When I started learning back in 71', there wasn't a lot of courses or teachers around. What I do nowadays to draw from is play at and attend steel shows where the big boys are playing. The internet has also opened a lot of doors for learning new things, as well as, relearning some of the old stuff. Bobbe Seymour & Mickey Adams have probably done more to help steelers learn licks, etc. than anyone ever has. Of course, this is due to access on the internet. I hadn't forgot Jeff Newman either. He was a pioneer in teaching pedal steel guitar throughout the years also. If he was still with us, I imagine he'd be right there with Bobbe & Mickey teaching folks about the greatest instrument in the world. Steel Guitar!