| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modifying a B6th tuning for a S8 lapsteel...
Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:48 pm    

A forum member posted that the B6th tuning could be used without pedals. That got me thinking about adding some more "chords" to the basic open tuning.

What I wanted were some E9th and/or E6th-type chords.

So I kept strings 1 through 4 as-is, then added the E and C# notes. Adding the A note made sense. And then after putzing around with the 8th string, I settled for a F# note. Then it dawned on me that E-C#-A-F# are the notes in an A6th chord. So the B6th and A6th chord notes provide the E9th and E6th type chords I was looking for:

1st = D#
2nd = B
3rd = G#
4th = F#
5th = E
6th = C#
7th = A
8th = F#

The strings gauges on my steel aren't an issue. I'm assuming that tab/instruction materials would be an issue. But I'm wondering if there are other problems with this tuning that an experienced player obviously "sees" that I'm over-looking e.g. problems with slants, grips, licks, single-note runs.

Your helpful comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

Dennis
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:06 pm    

F#m13 Question Very cool idea. Cool
Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:22 pm     Holy F#m13 Batman!

Hey b0b!

Lol, the only time I ever saw a 13th chord was in a Guitar Chord dictionary Wink

I was thinking more about how to get simple chords and progressions like E, F#m, G#m, A, B and C#m all on the same fret.

Although there are a gazillion tunings in existence, I was wondering if this one could be "useful". And if not, what are the draw-backs.

For example, would someone who plays hawaiian, country and/or rock music think: "this wouldn't work for me because the intervals, timbre and grips are limiting or don't sound right"?

I'm just looking for some constructive feedback and an opportunity to learn more about steel guitar and tunings.

Thanks.

Dennis
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 9:34 pm    

Well, it would confuse the heck out of me, but don't let that stop you.

I looked at it at the first fret for simplicity, and it looked like a combination of C6th on top and Gm7th on the bottom. Those aren't chords that normally go together in the kinds of songs that I play.

I think I'd probably raise the 7th string 1/2 step, just to keep my bearings. What you have might be real useful, though, if you can get used to it.

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 6:49 am    

If you were to take the top four strings and put them on the bottom instead you'd have a B11 (though the G# is a nonstandard note). B11 has been a very popular non pedal tuning over the years. Especially among Hawaiian players. According to a certain book that gets occassional mention around these parts, B11 is what is on Don Helms's second neck.

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 4:47 pm     I-IV-V Chords At The Same Fret...

Quote:
I looked at it at the first fret for simplicity, and it looked like a combination of C6th on top and Gm7th on the bottom. Those aren't chords that normally go together in the kinds of songs that I play.

b0b, thanks for that feedback. I should have provided examples of the grips for the chords I'm trying to get at each fret in this tuning.

Here is an example of the I-IV-V major chord grips in the open/no bar position.

I Chord "E"
1st = D#
2nd = B
3rd = G#
4th = F#
5th = E
6th = C#
7th = A
8th = F#

IV Chord "A"
1st = D#
2nd = B
3rd = G#
4th = F#
5th = E
6th = C#
7th = A
8th = F#

V Chord "B"
1st = D#
2nd = B
3rd = G#
4th = F#
5th = E
6th = C#
7th = A
8th = F#

Does this example make sense?
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 9:18 pm    

B11 is known as a terrific tuning for chords. There are probably some Hawaiian style players right here on the forum who can give you some further hints if you seek them out. Or you may already know what you want to do.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 7:28 am     C Diatonic

Hi Dennis,

Yes, it makes sense, but the IV chord is an octave lower than the other two. Have you thought about Jerry Byrd's C Diatonic in those terms?
Tab:
   E     E     E
   C     C     C
   B     B     B
   A     A     A
   G     G     G
   F     F     F
   E     E     E
   D     D     D   (not included by JB)
  -I-  -IV-   -V-
JB played it as a 7-string tuning. Most people use a C# for the low string, but I charted a D to demonstrate the V chord at the same fret. If you tune it to C#, you have a nice V7 chord two frets lower.

You could lower it 1/2 step. The IV chord would be your familiar E chord. The big advantage is that, on the IV chord strings, bar slants are really easy because of the wide spaced grip.