| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Montee Playing Howard White?
Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 9:27 pm    

I was visiting the Jerry Byrd fan club site and came upon Ray Montee playing a song called Rosette. I'd never heard the song before and I must have listened to it a dozen times. Beautiful playing by Ray and a beautiful song. I decided to google the song title and kept coming up with the song recorded by a steel guitarist named Howard White in the 1960s. I couldn't find any sound samples, but is this the same song? And what about Howard White? Is anyone familiar with his playing? Apparently his career was stopped short by mental illness.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 9:37 pm    

It's a good thing Howard isn't into computers, or he'd probably take issue with you big time! Howard is alive and well and still playing very well! I just spoke to him tonight and I think he said he has a gig coming up this coming week-end! Howard has a long long list of artists that he has recorded with in the past. One of them being Hank Snow!
Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:09 am    

Please don't misunderstand, the last thing I ever intended was to insult anyone on this forum. While searching for info on the song Rosette I found a short bio on amazon.com which starts...

"Howard White might well have been a potential country music star, but for a mental disorder that he never properly understood, growing out of a nervous condition that was a direct result of military service."

For the entire bio
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-White/e/B000APWW9C

I became intrigued about Mr. White after reading his biography and discovering that he played with many of the greats in country music. I was surprised that I had not heard of him until now.
John Bechtel

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 9:47 am     Howard White

The first time that I can ever remember hearing of Howard White was way back in the late 50's or early 60's, when he was playing a pedal-steel with Hank Snow on a show at a theater in Phila., Pa. The Hostess of the show was Sally Star, wife of Jessie Rogers (Ranger Joe-Cereal) at that time.
Kevin Brown

England
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 2:10 pm    

It was hearing Howard white back in 94 that first got me seriously interested in lap steel, Steel Guitar Dove, Ensonata, Rossette and Steel Guitar swallow (i953)bewitched me for 15 years untill I finally took the plunge 3 years ago. I should think 90% percent of forumites might have heard his name but never heard him play, which considering his touch tone and inspired playing leaves me rather saddened in a way. A great dobroist too. Any further info much appreciated, there is somewhere on the web an interview he gave on a nashville radio show I believe. Great to see his name up here on the forum, probably my favourite 'unsung hero'
John Bechtel

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 6:15 pm    

Here's something that you might not be aware of! Howard White and Jerry Byrd were life-long friends and actually studied and practiced steel guitar together! They each bought one of the very few Trot~Mor 7-string Lap-Steels at the same time! The Trot~Mor with the Horseshoe–P/U was the forerunner to the Rickenbacker steel guitar. Howard White played his Trot~Mor up until he sold it just about 2-yrs. ago, to another well known Forumite! I played a non-pedal set on my Fender T-8 Custom, together with Howard, on his Trot~mor, Don Helms, on his Gibson Console and Billy Robinson, on his S~10 Derby at our n.t.s.g.a. Super Jam in Oct. ’05. That Trot~Mor really had a sound, but; he only played about 3-Tunes! Not near enough! (IMHO!)
Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 9:53 pm    

Does anyone have a sample of Howard White's music that they could post here on the forum?
Kevin Brown

England
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 10:40 pm    

I have those files if someone can put them up for me, thats if ok legally.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 7:00 am     Howard White...............my friend

THANK YOU for the undeserved compliment about "Rosette" that is currently playing on the JERRY BYRD - Fan Club.com. It was very nice of you.

The player of that tune on the JB-FC is none other than HOWARD WHITE, playing that tune as only he can.

All four of Howard's recorded instrumentals are top drawer......all on Hickory lable.

I'm proud to be the 'new' owner of that very guitar and altho' I can play the tune note for note, I'm no Howard White. He does a splendid job!

Howard and JERRY BYRD used to play with a bunch of artists on a local soft ball team. Howard claims that he could knock anyone of Jerry's pitches out of the ball park. Read more about it on the JERRY BYRD-Fan Club.com site.