Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 2:44 pm    

Not a sho-bud still a classic..

Last edited by Fred Sicherman on 7 Aug 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 3:33 pm    

Yes indeed! When it comes to visual impact, there are two brands: Sho-Bud, and Others.
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:01 pm    

Looks alot like mine. the price for such beauty is the heaviest freaking mofo ever.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:04 pm    

Oh No! That's my foot in the picture! I should have worn my good shoes that day!

This guitar went to a new player in Richmond VA.

Bobbe
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:09 pm    

Hey bobbe, i'm still loving your Webb that Tom let me borrow (makes my tele sound like a beast). I just wish he didn't have my steel so i could play my bud thru it... but i am sure it will play like butter once Tom's done with it.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 8:19 pm    

A thread dedicated solely to a pic of a Pro II Custom proudly displayed on the floor of Steel Guitar Nashville. I love it! I drooled over that guitar until the day it was removed from Bobbe's site. It's nice to see it again.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:12 am    

On my monitor, the color of the guitar appears to be kind of a faded, pea-soup green. Hopefully, it is prettier than that.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:22 am    

Barry,It looks they have fluorescent lights overhead? which seems to wash out the real color. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:51 am    

Fluorescent lights notwithstanding, there's a good chance the guitar is faded, pea-soup green, like a great many green Sho-Buds. Some of them look almost brown. Blue ones seem to suffer a similar rate of fading.

I wonder if steel builders today still are using the same stains for green and blue? I would hope they would learn from the past, but maybe there are no good alternatives. We have a nice wooden bowl in our house that was bright peacock blue when we bought it maybe six years ago. It has sat next to a window, and now everything except the bottom has faded to a bluish grey, with a purplish tinge on the most exposed areas--just like my formerly peacock blue lacquer '94 Mullen (which was faded already when I bought it from SGN). (Actually, I think I like the way it looks now better than the original color!) (Are those your good shoes, Bobbe? Very Happy )
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 11:27 am    

It was my understanding back in the day, (no pun intended,) that Sho-Bud used ordinary food coloring to stain their guitars. I don't know if there was any truth to this at all. Maybe Bobbe can enlighten us ...
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 12:14 pm    

My Desert Rose is very similar to the green that Sho-Bud used,I'm not sure what kind of stain Chuck Back used on it? Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 6:34 pm    

Aw, don't be that way, Ted. Just think of how such beauty lightens the heart!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 7:29 pm    

Yep. Food coloring
Sean Ray

Madison, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:20 am    

Call me crazy but that pea soup green is my favorite Sho~Bud color. I have that exact guitar in red and I would trade it in a heart beat for that burned out 70's green.

They really used food coloring?
That's hilarious.

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:41 am    

After Sho-Bud and Gretsch went together, Sho-Bud started using the Grestch guitar dyes made in Memphis TN. So the later Sho-Buds were brighter more vibrant colors.

The earlier Sho-Bud steel guitars were stained with "McCormic" Cake dyes. As were the very first MSA guitars, and probably several others. I can remember staining some bodys with strong coffee.

Bobbe Seymour
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 10:50 am    

Bobbe is that where the color MSB came from?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 1:34 pm    

I thought they made the reddish brown stain by soakin' Red Man chaw in "shine!" I've actually used that on gunstocks. Walnut shells too. Add a bit of Rit red dye to redden the color up a bit.
Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:08 pm     Techno Pedal Steel Questions

Team,

THanks for all the great comments... Bobbe you are the man! and yes that is your foot. It adds authenticity! Thanks for the use of it.. Thank you for that Pro II at a great price!

Since getting the Sho-bud (and matching T shirt), I have been experimenting with different amps and picks and bars etc. I have also aquired some original Mint National finger picks from the 60's. You would not beleive what i had to pay for them..

and I know that are real because they hurt like hell but sound great. Upon comparrsion the remakes are just as good. .... I like the Jeff Newman picks and the remake Nationals with the script writing on them all 025 or 026 gague.. you pros may have your own preferences as well..

And I am so committed that I am continuing my lessons Buddy Charlton whos brother just passed away by the way. My good friend Dave Berry reccomended him to me as a newbie so I went to see Buddy. so many thanks to Dave.

Being a Yankee from Queens Ny transplanted to Richmond VA , I need all the help I can get.
I would appreciate any adive on Amps and speakers. as Guitar is way diff than Pedal steel.

the Amps:

One is an original 1967 Showman through a two 15 cabinet. Very clean..Breaks up when pushed too too hard. I think I am going to find some JBL D130s and replace the scorpian plus's that came in the single showman cabinet.

One issue that the 2x 15 showman cabinet is closed. that in itself may be an issue for Pedal steel. I could use some advice on speakers to purchase to replace the showmans old Peavy Scorpion plus's currently installed. if not the original JBLs.D130s.. (Round 500 .00) what would be able to take the punishment?

To tell you the truth, i would have to believe that in todays technology there are speakers that are better than the JBL 130's.. but Since I only know guitar Its hard to judge. THis showbud is so powerful it blows out amps that normally are made of Kryptonite. So I am having a ball testing . I will say I was suprised with the solid state Steel King.

And I am using a Boss DD3 Digital delay on all, I am getting some interesting variations of sounds on that new Fender. Also good for the Es 355 and tele i have.

Like a twin on steroids is a good way to classify the steel king. Also the XLR out is perfect for my linear studio I built here in Richmond. Its totally computer based.on a honking macintosh.. Mostly Rock and country based CDs..

. THat was another reason to buy a pedal steel because i love that sound and want it in my recordings. Since i play all the instruments I have to learn the steel ~period.

SO thanks for listinging and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Can you tell that I am a guitar player? Also I use my favorite guitar through the amps ..
Heres a picture of my best axe in the Fredman collection..

any thoughts would be appreciated..

Fred

[img]http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix0806/7730_es_355_2.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Fred Sicherman on 9 Aug 2012 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:18 pm     Sho-bud coler

Heres some other pictures of the same sho-bud.. You may notice its really light walnut brown. in real life.. ..and not the green it looks like in the pics..

I wonder what year this thing is the serial number is 11334

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:47 pm    

Fred,What part of Queens are you from?Stu Winking
Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:13 pm     Quens

I am from Flushing and Fresh Meadows
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:22 pm    

Me Too! Winking
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:05 pm    

Take off the black knobs and put on a set of 60s gold ones. I did that to my Custom Shop 355 and it looks so much more classy.

Nice looking guitar. I play mine every Sunday on my Church gig.
Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:25 pm     Gold knobs

I agree, I cant decide to use the exact same in gold, or the vintage ones with the tone and volume inserts.

Good feedback thanks..
Fred Sicherman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:25 pm     Queens

I graduated Francis Lewis in '76 and lived on 64th circle by the grove...

Freed