| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner coming back to the Forum
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 9:40 am    

I just reinstated membership in the forum. Several years ago I developed an intense interest in the non pedal steel guitar, bought different instruments, visited some great people like Ray Montee here in Portland and Tom at the Sierra factory when it was here in Portland. I even wrote Jerry Byrd and received a reply (which I still have framed and treasure greatly). The problem? I was a beginner, couldn't get any moral support from my church or family members so I let discouragement take over. I sold all by steels but kept a couple of books and never went any further. Though I din't pick up an instrument during that time, every song I would hear either at church or on the radio would cause me to think how much better that would sound if someone added a steel to it. Well, I'm back! Not letting the discouragement win out, I purchased a post war Rickenbacher B6 on ebay for $435 with no breaks or cracks, needs some TLC which I will take gental care in restoring, and resuming the learning process on how to play, becoming intimately familiar with the fretboard. Sometime in the future I might list all the steels that I was privileged to own (not owning all at the same time) however at present it would make me cry since I don't have them any more. Next post will be on restoring my new B6. Very Happy Very Happy
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 9:50 am    

I think alot of us are in the same boat. I played non pedal and a little pedal in the mid to late seventies up into-well, now that I think about it the early nineties. Then I quit. I picked it up again around 2003 or so with more enthusiasm than ever. I'm a better player now than I ever was. I feel like if I can just devote enough time to it I can do anything I want with it. So have at it. And good luck to you.

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 10:41 am    

Welcome back to the world of Steel Guitar Steven.
It's too bad you sold your guitars - I remember every guitar I ever had that I don't have now.
But you're off to a good start with the Ricky.
Just don't rely on others for your inspiration, even loved ones will let you down in this regard.
They have their own considerations and priorities.
The inspiration has to come from within you.
To succeed at Steel playing, you have to put it first - before everything else you're doing.
That's not to say you have to forsake family, friends, faith etc - but these things are already of the utmost priority.
It just means you have to give it a lot of thought on a consistent ongoing basis, and reserve time for it every day.
Even on those days when you don't feel like it . .

BIG STEEL
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 10:55 am     Support.............I can give you..

Honored to notice MY NAME in your post. How kind of you.

Feel free to call any time. Anything I might be able to help you with, is as near at the phone.
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 11:03 am    

Thanks Ed for the reply and encouragement. Glad to see that I'm not alone in setting aside the steel for a couple of years. Thanks also to Rick Alexander for your wisdom. I've been following alot of your threads here on the forum and occasionally see some of your stuff on ebay. Keep up the good work.
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 11:07 am    

Thanks RAY for your reply. I remember coming over to your place to show you my JB Frypan (engraved on the back by JB himself to another person). One of those steels that I sold that now makes me cry. At least it was purchased by one of JB's former students in Hawaii who was very glad to get it. Thanks also for the advice you gave on my efforts to rejuvinate my new B6.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 11:20 am    

Steven, you are very fortunate to have a player of Ray's caliber living in your area and willing to help you.
If I were you, I'd take full advantage of it.
Ray is one of the best players I've heard.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 4:37 pm    

If I still had every steel I ever had, Rick would be jealous of my collection. But as it is...... Confused

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 8:15 am     Beginner coming back

You might try Rick Alexander's instructional materials. You are sure to learn something that you didn't know. Laughing Laughing