| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SNAKEGRINDER
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 10:07 am    

A mid-70's rock band from Delaware that used pedal steel in a then-unheard of hard rock format. Anyone wanna fess up to being the steeler on this lost gem of an album I found?
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 11:25 am    

Some quick googling yields the name Tommy Eppes who apparently is now living in Las Vegas. So far the trail goes cold there, though...

I'm intrigued.

Anyone else know more of the story?

Last edited by Chris Bauer on 29 Jun 2008 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 12:14 pm    

Tommy is a forumite, if he sees this thread he may respond.
I don't remember that band, but he was also with The Bullets and Kenny Jones' NAshville Connection among others..
Mike Phillips

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 1:14 pm    

I have done some horse trading of gear with Tommy Eppes, and he's a super cool guy. I can confirm that he does reside in Vegas, but he never told me about SNAKEGRINDER - just about the coolest band name ever.

Sounds like that fictional band from the movie "Almost Famous". Snakegrinder... man that is awesome.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 2:01 pm    

I thought so too, Mike. They had one album then nothing. Their one album was called "...and the Shredded Field Mice". I have given it a closer listen and it is very country-rock oriented, sort of like an Outlaws/Kansas bastard lovechild.
Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 3:40 pm    

There is a whole series of videos of a concert in the 70's on youtube. Looks like its a sho-bud. I am not sure what kind.
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 5:42 pm    

There's a general band history, pics, and more at: http://www.snakegrinder.com/ .

I'd still love to hear more about 'em, though.
Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 9:07 am     I confess

Hey Keith, I stumbled on the Snakegrinder post late last nite (much to my surprise)and figured I'd best own up. Those "sandwich men" are wonderful musicians and great people that I'm happy and proud to have had the opportunity to live and play music with! They were very patient with me and I learned much from them.
I know Bo (great player and horse lover)from the Honky-tonks of south Jersey in the mid '80's (pre Vegas) Most don't know that the nations oldest ongoing rodeo is at Cowtown, NJ. right across the river from my home state of Delaware and a few miles in the other direction was Sunset Park (the nations oldest ongoing outdoor Country Music Park)now closed.
Fertile territory for a young biscuit boarder.

Howdy Mike, "Snakegrinder" is 2nd only to "Primeval Slime" as coolest band name ever!

Brian, It's an old red Pro-1 that has a funny story of it's own.

and finally Chris, the trail went cold because after moving to Las Vegas in '96 to do the "Country Tonite" show MC Paul Delicato 86ed my last name after some confusion at a meet & greet where a lady asked if I were Tammy's son. Seems she heard Tommy Wynette instead of Tommy Wayne(middle name)Eppes.

Thanx guys, the interest is truely flattering. Some where along the way I've gotten to where I can play!
TW
Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 1:51 pm     bring her up once more

wanted to be sure the guys who posted see it. TW
Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 4:49 pm     Ttt

once more for Bo
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 6:59 am    

Thanks for the compliment Tommy.
I got to play the Cowtown Rodeo gig a couple weeks ago with Dave & the Wranglers, sitting in for Barefoot Ernie Trionfo. It's a great gig, we played about 4 tunes through then no more than 25 seconds of vamping anything else that Dave calls then Happy Trails to close the performance.
To clarify for the rodeo fans out there.. the Cowtown Rodeo in NJ is the longest continous weekly PRCA sanctioned rodeo in the US. I believe the Pendleton Roundup is the oldest and Cheyenne Frontier Days is also older but they are not weekely rodeos. I think this is Cowtowns' 52 year. It runs every saturday night from the end of May until late September.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 6:22 pm    

I'd give a weeks pay for a T-shirt from one of those shows... Very Happy
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 8:15 pm    

So is it true that someone ordered a steak grinder and the name, misheard by a bandmate, stuck? Musta been some good weed in Delaware...