| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro?
Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 12:10 pm    

Hello Guys,
I hope this is the right place for this topic. For an entry level Dobro, how is the Morgan Monroe MSQ-100 squareneck?
Thanks,
Bryant
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 4:31 pm     Go Gold Tone

Bryant -- I don't know much about those instruments, but if you don't have a lot of dough to spend, I would recommend spending just a couple hundred dollars more, and get a much better sounding and more playable instrument with the laminate Gold Tone Beard:

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/product-p/gt-pbs.htm

If you're really new to playing lap style guitar, and just want to test the waters, then you may want to first try a nut-raiser on an old acoustic, and see how that feels. But if you already have played lap style, and just want a lo-dough resonator, then I recommend spending just a few dollars more, and get a very decent quality instrument that you'll be satisfied with for a good long time.

Just my .02! Good luck with whatever you get.
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 5:20 pm    

I haven't read any mention of the Morgan Monroe online, so your best bet is to get someone experienced to help you check one out at a store. If it is playable out of the box it's probably a good deal, since some of the others in that price range really need a pro setup ($200) to sound good.

Failing that, I'd suggest sticking to a known quantity, perhaps a used mahogany Beard Gold Tone. Try to get one that was set up at the Beard shop.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 5:49 pm    

Bryant, there are quite a number of respectable sounding dobros out now for less than $500. Jerry
Dunbar bought one, a Beanblossom (import) from Greenville Guitars and took it to Bobby Wright,
www.customresosetup.com, and it sounds great. If you
come over, I'm sure he'd let you play it.

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 3:43 am    

Music 123 has a 15% off sale on Goldtone Beard Resonators. That puts the Goldtone PBS Beard Signature Series Resonator Guitar at about $490 with free shipping.
Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 10:06 am     Thanks!

Thanks guys for your input.
Clyde, we have talked about this often. I think I'm leaning towards a Regal. There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between the Regal and the Morgan Moonroe. The Morgan Monroe has vertical tuning keys like a Steel. I really like that. I also really enjoyed your topic on dobro and steel technique. I'm really hooked on the Forum.
Thanks,
Bryant
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 10:25 am    

play a nice Regal reso........it is of course, not as good as one of the "$1000+" ..models...but, sounds good and plays well....(as well as I can play)
good starter guitar...have a luthier do a set up and fine tuning so you get the best out of it....
good luck...keep on pickin..
ch

deep in the heart of texas
Tobie Schalkwyk

South Africa
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 9:28 pm    

Carroll Hale wrote:
play a nice Regal reso...good starter guitar...

I respectfully disagree - well, as far as my 1930's Regal is concerned. It's got a unique, addictive raw sound to its 3 & 4 strings which I can't get from my W/S, so I just have to play it now and again for certain songs. Smile