| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stereo steel amplification
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 6:12 pm    

Anyone using a stereo syetem?......if so,what type?.....Also, has anyone ever A / B 'd a Walker Stereo Steel Amp vs. a Sarno Revelation?

FWIW: I've got a Walker combo SSA which I'm really enjoying.......I'm actually using one side as a monitor (speaker placed out front and aimed back at me) with the other 15" speaker placed in back to cover the audience. (This is a concept first suggested to me by my wife, and one that fellow formite Doug Jones,uses with excellent results). It is as close as I've come to having that bedroom/studio tone onstage.)
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 7:26 pm    

I split my signal out of a Digitech RP150 to two separate amps almost always now. Some gigs one amp on either side of the drums, however I prefer the sound and effects of sitting in the sweet spot with both amps behind me.

Even though it's a little extra equipment, and very few other than myself hear the stereo effect, I'm having fun with it!

I don't own any of the single chassis type stereo amps, if that's where you were going. I'm sure they're sweet...

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 2:11 pm    

Hi, Tony, I've been using the Walker Stereo Steel system for years now, and before that a Peavey ProFex II into mosvalve stereo amps. I think a good processor in the effects loop is a big part of the equation- T.C. Electronics M One for me.

The Walker is easy to use, excellent sounding, many features and pretty bulletproof. One of the things I most like is how similar it sounds in almost any venue. Although I do enjoy the stereo stew myself onstage, (it's inspiring!) Many of the venues I play mic it in stereo to a stereo P.A. and it really adds to the presence and impact of the steel in the mix.
Also sounds amazing in a stereo in-ear monitoring system.

Stereo rules!
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 3:26 pm     Walker Stereo Steel

I've had mine for about 4 years. I really like it. Larry Behm spent the day with me recently and we messed with the stereo steel. It has the sealed cabinets with JBL's. Ask him what he thought. Seemed like he really like the set up.

Wayne
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 11:08 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
I think a good processor in the effects loop is a big part of the equation- T.C. Electronics M One for me.

I couldn't agree more. I've got a Lexicon MX300 that makes the amp sound pretty lush.
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 2:34 pm    

Stereo Steel here for many years! I can't imagine playing through anything else........and Gerry is a great guy that gives great support too.....although I've never really needed it.
Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 3:06 pm    

Absolutely! Stereo Steel pre-amp and a Hafler P3000--a great combination!
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 12:41 pm    

Walker Stereo Steel for me!
JE:-)>
John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 1:26 pm     Stereo Steel Combo

I've had Gerry Walker's Stereo Steel Combo and tuned Cabs for years and in my opinion , it is top of the line in every way . User friendly and so many things you can do with the way Gerry built the amp/pre amp both in the studio and on stage.

None better for sound and punch. Customer service is great-- if you ever need it !I have had zero trouble in all these years, with his system .

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 6:14 pm    

I been playing a "Stereo Steel" since 1964, when I collaborated with John Birch on some new pick-up designs, with my Fender 1000 wired for "Stereo" I was a little later than EMI who were experimenting along with the BBC and Blumlein with stereo broadcasts in 1925 and recordings in .......1933 (But his patent on Stereo was in 1931).

Stereo was used in a theater system in Paris in 1881 Click Here

Stereo isn't new at all, 'though I had a stereo PA system when the majority of groups were using VERY "Mono" systems, the Waikiki Islanders sound system was Stereo since 1963 utilizing a mixer, Telefunken reverbs and a separate power amp.
My current system is a Profex 11 (Foxed) into two NV112s and DI to a 10K PA rig.
Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:03 pm    

I've been using Gerry's power amps and preamps for 10-12 years and I love them.I've even used a few amps along the way;but I keep coming back to this setup.I now have 2;one for the studio and one for live stuff I use nashville 112 cabs and a transtubefex in both rigs
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 9:03 pm    

Can you guys using the Stereo Steel describe the signal chain from your guitar to the speakers?

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 6:27 am    

Zum or Emmons D-10 --> Black Box --> Hilton pedal --> Walker Stereo preamp/amp --> (Lexicon MX300 via Walker internal FX loop) --> 2 seperate 1501-4 ohm Walker speaker cabs.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 9:33 am    

Zumsteel SD-10 --> Sarno Freeloader--> Hilton pedal --> Walker Stereo preamp/amp --> (T.C. Electronics M-ONE via Walker internal FX loop) --> 2 seperate 1501-4 ohm Walker speaker cabs.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 10:19 am    

Has anyone A/B'd the Walker Stereo Steel amp versus a Revelation preamp (+ other power amp) based rig?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:34 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
Has anyone A/B'd the Walker Stereo Steel amp versus a Revelation preamp (+ other power amp) based rig?

The Revelation preamp is designed to plug straight from your guitar's pickup into the first stage of amplification, and only later thru the volume pedal.
On the other hand, with the Stereo Steel amp you would go from guitar to volume pedal to amp.
This is one reason why the two amps would sound very different.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:56 am    

How different?

Has anyone actually had any first-hand experience comparing the two amp systems?