| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shaking rattling and rolling in Los Angeles,
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 11:06 am    

As you all have heard, we just had another earthquake.

They say this was a "major seismic event", but so far there are no reports of injuries or major damages. The phone service in some areas is out.

My wife and I are so used to these things that we looked at looked at each other and said "Earthquake" and went back to what we were doing.

The dog got nervous, but he calmed down immediately.

Just another day here on the left coast. Nothing to get excited or worried about.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 11:21 am    

Mike,My friend up here can detect them before they happen,She's never wrong...weird stuff.
Stu Whoa!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 11:54 am    

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 12:11 pm    

I heard 5.9 peak, but overall a 5.4- what the heck does that mean? I know about Richter Scale, but how can an earthquake have an "average?"

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 12:48 pm    

"Don't let the guitars fall over!"
J. R. McClung

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 1:10 pm    

Mike,
We're over here in Asuza for the week. Steel and other instruments were on the stage in the auditorium, but everthing was still in the case. I first wondered if an airliner was about to crash into the building and then the floor started shaking. Scary stuff!

No damage reports yet. We all got evacuated and cleared about an hour later.

I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma.....I'll take my chances with our tornadoes!

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 2:38 pm    

I was on the 24th floor of one of the twin towers in Century City taking a deposition when it hit. Three of the lawyers in the room were from Fort Worth and they started shouting "Let's go off the record!" The witness who was a Pakistani businessman had to excuse himself to the men's room for a while.
It only lasted 15 seconds but that building is built on rollers and it got about an 8 or 10 foot lateral sway going on and didn't settle down for at least a full minute. It felt like a large boat on rough seas. These things really aren't very exciting untill they exceed around 6.0.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 4:00 pm    

Those of us who live here are used to small earthquakes that happen frequently. This one wasn't exactly small, but it wasn't really large either.

It's easy to see how people from other places where these things don't happen could get really freaked out by today's quake, but we Angelinos take it in stride.

We probably couldn't handle things that happen in other places. If it ever snowed here, (it never does,) the city would probably have a total meltdown.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 6:59 pm    

My wife and I were in a doctors office at UCLA when the rocker and roller hit. The 6 story building is on rollers as well, and we skated back and forth a few times.

My wife said, "What a great place to be during an earthquake." A doctors office.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 7:04 pm    

Mike,We're getting ready for a volcano to blow...I always keep a couple of dust masks in my car.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stephan Franck

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 7:08 pm    

I was in Venice. We felt it pretty strongly on the west side. The scary part is just after the quake, when there's no news yet, the cell phone lines are jammed, and you don't know what happened to the rest of the family on the other side of town. Turns out, everyone's fine.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 10:33 pm    

(La Crescenta Bureau reporting in, Stephan...)

No pedal steels damaged in today's shaker. (This was not the case in the 1987 Whittier Narrows quake when my Teac reel-to-reel jumped from atop the TV and clattered into my Sho-Bud Maverick, where it sheared off the ball on one of the pedals.)

Fast-forward 21 years: Younger mini dachshund Madison suddenly starts barking and running at the front door. (Good, UPS is here early with an eBay Martin...) No brown, but about ten seconds later, everything jolts intensely for about five seconds.

The good news is Maddie's been offered a full professorship at Caltech with tenure as head of the Geology Department.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 2:02 pm    

As was said, we here in California are so used to the ground shaking that we don't even think twice about it.

In 1989, I had just move my girlfriend (soon to be my wife at the time) and her 2 kids out here from Chicago. A month later we had the big quake that hit the Bay Area. It was somewhere around 8 or so on the Richter scale. I was sitting on our waterbed when things started moving. I looked at the girlfriend and said "Don't worry... Happens all the time and the house didn't fall over so it must not be so bad". I was watching TV waiting for the family to get ready to go out to dinner. The TV went off. I looked out the window and saw the neighbors van rocking bad enough for the wheels to leave the ground. When I couldn't find any of the emergency broadcast stations on air, I started to worry. We went to dinner and came back home to find the TV back on and just how bad the quake was.

Quote:
I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma.....I'll take my chances with our tornadoes!

Even after this, I still wouldn't trade earthquakes for the tornadoes and hurricanes of the midwest and east coast. We have serious damage from quakes so seldom, while other parts of the country are torn up several times every year.

A 5.8 shaker is nothing to us.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 2:39 pm    

I was doing a re-set at " Kings Ranch Market " in Azusa,Ca. and it look like a bomb hit the Store inside with everything all over the floor. What a shake & free ride under my feet. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 4:09 pm    

With the threat of the "big one" looming closer every day, it might not be long before steel guitars manufactured for sale in California are going to have to conform to different standards from those sold in the rest of the country.

Californian buyers are going to be asking to see seismic test results before considering a purchase. "Earthquake resistant design" will become of prime importance when selecting a new guitar.

The carbon fibre Millennium may become the guitar of choice for quake prone areas. For those who can't afford a new guitar, the price of old Blantons will go through the roof.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 4:48 pm    

I was 6 miles from the epicenter, and believe me, it got OUR attention.

6 busted picture frames, coffee cups everywhere on the floor, and a busted $1,000 hockey-stick picture frame signed by some name players (belongs to the owner who still plays).

We have 3-story-high equipment racks in the warehouse...but bolted to the walls, and in there we had not a single thing drop.

Not quite like '94. I had over $40,000 come from the insurance company, and we spent 3 days with no water and a week cleaning up broken glass.....

And I'll take them over tornados or hurricanes anytime!

I LIKE earthquakes, actually. They usually cause a few people who just moved into the crowded beach area to move right back out to Iowa, or Wisconsin, or Kansas...
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 12:42 am    

I wonder what a seismic retrofit would cost on my Carter.
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 1:25 pm    

I was in a studio 5 miles from the Burbank airport when the quake hit. It was pretty cool! I'm from CA and am used to quakes, but the client was from the Netherlands. She had quite an interesting look on her face. I'm glad there was no damage or injuries. The last big one I was in was the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in the Bay Area, CA. That one was scary.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 2:44 pm    

I've lived in CA since 1963, and have suffered most of the quakes since then, the Loma Prieta being a 'personal best' at 7.0 (officially). They still freak me out, simply because once they begin, you never know how bad they're going to get before they stop. Personally, I'm glad I don't live in a quake-prone area anymore. Smile
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 4:49 pm    

Yo Ristrim, Next time you get to the Bay Area, I want to hook up with you. Hell, I'd drive to LA (what a nightmare) to see you.