| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What the heck is wrong with my reverb! ( renamed this post)
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 5:39 pm    

I heard a NV400 with only a reverb mod. Sounded as big as a house. It only had a reverb modification,what kind of mod I do not know. Can't find that sound on my Vegas 400,Why?. I would rather not have to carry around a seperate reverb unit when I heard a built in reverb I like. Can you buy custom reverb tanks?

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Franco on 18 Jul 2008 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 6:13 pm    

I like my Holy Grail. Sounds just like an old Fender spring reverb, to my ears, anyway.

I also like the built-in reverb in my Webb and Boogie amps. Both are fine.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 6:26 pm    

None of the old Peavy amps are known for their reverb, it just wasn't where they concentrated their efforts. Sometimes, reverb tanks can go bad, though, so you oughta have yours checked out by a good tech. There are some modifications that can be done to the circuitry, as well (like tailoring the frequency response of the reverb driver) that might help, too.

For separate units, the AKG and Lexicon high-end units are the best out there. (Quite expensive, though.)
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 6:38 pm     Thanks for your replys

My Vegas has had the complete mod by Ken Fox. I took the tank out and it looks perfect. I'm sure Ken would have fixed it if it was't. The mod had a chip or something (looks like a metal firecracker)that was put installed during the mod but did't work right. I removed it on Kens advise. Left the origional resistor there. Got rid of the constant high pitched noise. But still not the good reverb you would expect after all that. He said some reverbs don't work with that thing attached. I thought all amps of the same type would be at least close to the same specs. Why would this one be any different. I'll try pluging in the reverb tank from my NV112 and see if that makes a difference. Will report back.

Last edited by Wayne Franco on 18 Jul 2008 7:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 6:47 pm    

Anybody try the new Digi-Tech RV-7 Stereo pedal?
Or, the Behringer Reverb Machine?
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:16 am    

Part to of the Metzger reverb mod is a cap in parallel with a 15 ohm resistor on the drive side of the reverb tank. On the N-400 we put a 33 ohm resistor in parallel with the cap and them put it in parallel with the 33 ohm resistor in the same spot as the Vegas.

On 4 amps out of about a 100 or more that has put the mod in we have had that high pitched whistle. That is opamp for the reverb send and return going into oscillation/feedback. I have found that removing the cap and resistor (33 ohm) and leaving the original resistor on the board solves the problem for the Vegas 400.

I could not hear a difference in the reverb quality without that cap, still sounds awesome to me!

I am now deleting that cap from all future mods.

No telling why only a few amps had an issue with it. May have more to do with some differences in the reverb tanks.

Regardless of what chip was used in the reverb area the amps would oscillate. Tried the OPA2604AP, TLO72, 4560 and 4558 chips.

Another leading cause of the same problem is poor or loose connections at eh reverb tank or at the amp.

I always retension and clean the reverb connectors when I do a mod. I also clean the male conections on the circuit board with denatured alcohol and a Q-tip. I now use a electrical grease made for electrical connections that keeps out moisture. That should add a lot more life and reliability to the connections.

Even after all that the leading problem I have had on returned amps to customers was due to the Molex connections on the reverb at the amp. A poor design at best.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:33 am     Thnks Ken

As you can see from the above post Ken has and continues to be a great help in this. Without him my snippers would never have know where to snip. I hope that the tank in my 112 will plug into the other amp. If you can see any problems with that let me know. I had never thought of doing that until I chatted with my friend Larry Behm who was here when the amp arrived.

Sincerly

Wayne Franco
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:35 am    

Peavey used two tanks and both work. One is a three spring and the other is a two spring tank.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:49 am     Great, thanks Ken

I wish I could try it before my gig at the Lavender Festival this morning 10am to 1Pm. But will try when I get home.

Wayne
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 7:23 am    

FWIW: Although the mod does improve the reverb, I never use it. I think an outboard digital reverb/delay sounds much "bigger".

I've used an Alesis quadraverb, TC Electronics C# and Lexicon mx300, all of which do a pretty good job. The sound seems much fuller and less metallic as compared to the tone with onboard reverb.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:14 pm     Thanks Tony for your input

A friend of mine has an alesis unit. He said I could try it.

Wayne
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2008 7:04 am     Thank you for all your help Ken

Replacing that chip did the trick. That 10,000Hz ocilation probably did it in. Sure glad they are easy to change. Even I could do that. Now..making sure I replace the one I took out of my 112 and putting it in the right way. Whoa!

Wayne

P.S
Tony, I am still going to try that reverb unit.