| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton Volume Pedal
Jeff Valentine

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 7:35 pm    

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you had any experience using Hilton Volume Pedals? I've had one for a while and it constantly picks up radio stations when we're using our in ears.... We've tried everything from using different power sources to special grounding techniques. It's a great pedal, but getting rid of the radio stations would be great. Any ideas??

Thanks, Jeff
Louis Vallee

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 9:34 pm    

You can change the channel with your foot? Laughing

Seriously, make a test by elimination.

1. Try your quitar directly without VP,

2. try with the vp and a good quality patch cord as a George l's without effect.

If the problem persists talk with Keith...

Good Luck

'08 Magnum D-10 8&5 * Hilton VP * Lemay MK-1 * Peavey NV 1000 * Rick Johnson Cabs * Walker Seat.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 12:06 am    

it could be the cable acting as an antenna
try another one
(George L's as Louis recommends are quite good)
Jeff Valentine

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 5:12 am     Thanks guys

Thanks for the input. I did try the guitar without the pedal and all is good. The chords I'm using are $100 stereo monster cables and are supposed to be top of the line. Are George L's better? I've heard of them and could get some if that's the answer.

Thanks, Jeff
Tobie Schalkwyk

South Africa
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 5:56 am    

Jeff, try and get a response from Keith Hilton first (he's a co-forumite) before taking drastic actions like buying other cables (at that price it's hard to believe that your cables are suspect).
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 7:20 am    

Monster cables are way over priced. As an electronics tech and as an ex amp tech, I wouldn't even consideer those cables. There are no guitar cables worth that.

It's like the $100 and $100 plus Monster HDMI cables, a $15 HDMI cable will work just as good and provide just as much frquency bandwidth, etc as the overpriced Monster cables.
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 7:27 am    

Why are you using a "stereo" cable? Do you mean a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve)? These are normally used for balanced connections and at a much lower impedance, which is a pickup is not.

You want a mono 1/4 instrument cable, I agree with Jack on the overpriced Monster BS, pick up a George L or a mid priced Horizon or ProCo or something like that, any of these will will work fine.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 8:00 am     Re: Thanks guys

Jeff Valentine wrote:
Thanks for the input. The chords I'm using are $100 stereo monster cables and are supposed to be top of the line. Thanks, Jeff

I think they're overpriced junk. I wouldn't use them if they were free. Also, Scott is right - you only want to use stereo cables with a stereo guitar and a stereo amp.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 8:03 am    

Anything is possible, but I find this hard to believe. Here is why: I have never had a complaint like this with around 18,000 pedals out in use all over the world. I install a 39pf-capacitor to ground on the input, which will not allow any radio frequency signals to enter the pedal. Any signals over 20,000 HZ go to ground. Maybe someone can explain to me how a radio frequncy signal is passing a 39pf capacitor to ground? Of course, anything is possible, but I might suggest looking at other equipment in your signal chain. Hartley Peavey is the one who suggested to me to use the 39pf capacitor to eliminate radio frequency signals. To find the thing that is passing radio frequency signals, start eliminating things in the signal chain. Might even be something as simple as a bad guitar cord. If I am not mistaken,"In Ear" devices used by bands are usually wireless, meaning they pick up radio frequency signals.
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 9:27 am    

Like Keith said, I would check the in-ears first. I was rehearsing at a large rehearsal complex here in town and our band happened to have the same wireless mic as a band down the hall and our ears were picking up the same frequencies.

Also, what kind of amp are you using? I've picked up radio stations through my hand-wired Twin on multiple occasions.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 11:33 am    

You can't hear RF!

What you hear is the audio that results after the RF passes though a rectifier or other junction device acting as an audio detector and then it gets passed or coupled into the signal chain. This can come in through a device's input, output, or power supply regardless of the audio impedance levels.

You can temporarily test for this by inserting a 40pF or so capacitor to ground at each signal input, output and power supply input. Often the same result can be achieved the running the affected line through a snap together RF choke that requires no soldering. These in fact worked well to eliminate both overhead airplane transmissions and local AM radio station interference from our church PA system.

Even a very good product could require a little more RF suppression if you have a very powerful RF field from a local station. The near RF field of any broadcast station is unbelievably powerful and contains a lot of multi frequency spurious emissions.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael Strauss

Delray Beach,Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 12:53 pm    

Could be a bad capacitor or a cold solder joint.

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 8:06 pm     Thanks again

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice. I'm only assuming it was the volume pedal since the sounds go away when we get rid of it. They go away in everyones' mix. That's why I'm assuming it's not the in ear system. I assumed that since we bypassed the pedal and everything was fine, it must be the pedal. I don't use an amp when playing with in ears. I go through a Line 6 Pod, which I also went through when we got rid of the pedal. Don't get me wrong, Hilton is the best pedal to have in my opinion. Thanks for taking the time to respond, Keith. In regard to the cables, you USUALLY get what you pay for when it comes to anything electronic. We've tried various cables and have the same problem. The cables I'm using are "Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 Straight Angled". I'm happy to switch to George L's if everyone thinks that's the problem. Thanks to Greg for a very interesting response. I hadn't thought about it like that before. Anyway, thanks to everyone again. I appreciate all of your input.

-Jeff
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 10:16 pm     Re: Thanks again

Jeff Valentine wrote:
...In regard to the cables, you USUALLY get what you pay for when it comes to anything electronic...

Jeff, you might find this thread interesting: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=121759
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 7:28 pm    

Jeff;
Found your thread here.
This helped out alot as I worked with my X3L today.
See you over at the L6 forum.
Steve
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 3:10 am    

Jeff, I've been going direct using in-ears for the past 5 or 6 years and also use a Hilton pedal. I've never experienced any radio interference. Like you I do not use an amp but Brads Rev pre-amp. In the past I've used an Evans pre-amp or a Pod XT, both without any problems. I do use George L cables. I really don't think it's the pedal. Dale
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 8:30 am    

DALE WHITENER wrote:
Jeff, I've been going direct using in-ears for the past 5 or 6 years and also use a Hilton pedal. I've never experienced any radio interference. Like you I do not use an amp but Brads Rev pre-amp. In the past I've used an Evans pre-amp or a Pod XT, both without any problems. I do use George L cables. I really don't think it's the pedal. Dale

Hi Dale;
I use IEM when I lead worship at my church.
I mix them through the Aviom system, and go wireless with the Sennheiser ysytem.
Regarding pedal steel, are your in-ears single or dual drivers?
Thanks
Steve
DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 9:43 am    

Steve they are Westone UM2 dual drivers.
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 2:22 pm    

DALE WHITENER wrote:
Steve they are Westone UM2 dual drivers.

Awesome... that's what I'm currently using.
Now I've got to keep practicing my steel with them
Thanks
S
DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 3:36 pm    

Glad to help. Dale
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 3:20 pm    

I have to concur also about Monster Cables.

I don't know exactly, but my rule of thumb, which so far has served me well, is that anything prefaced by the word "monster" is suspect at least, and just downright ridiculous at best.

I never trust anything with "monster" in it's description. That word 'monster' seems, well, just juvenile. Kids. Teens.

Saves a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

Better safe than sorry, as we say.

IMHO Very Happy