| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Speaker change
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 3:05 am    

Has anyone ever changed the speaker in their Nash 112?
What(if)any were the benefits or reasons.
Best wishes
Billy
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 3:56 am     Speaker Change 112's

I put 1203-4 Black Widows in both of my Peavey 112's when I bought them a few years back, the sound was not as good (IMHO) as it was with the OEM speaker and BW's added a lot of extra weight. Put the Origional speakers back in. They just seem to get better with use. ah

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 7:31 am     Nashville 112 Speaker

We appreciate that steelers purchase our products, but when those designs are altered, ie; mod kits, different speakers, etc. ,most of the time we obtain our info from you the consumer.

However, keep in mind that the warranty could be void at that time.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 10:02 am    

Mike,
Thank You for Your reply,I can assure You I will continue to purchase Peavey equipment as the need arises.
I know that Your company cannot condone any unauthorised changes to amps, etc.,
Having owned My 112 for several years I am sure it is definately out of warranty therefore I would not expect any self induced issues to be blamed on Peavey.
I liken this to fitting a new car with a higher grade set of tyres(tires in U.S.)
If I were to change the speaker I would replace the existing with one which is compatible.I have already fitted the Burr Brown chips which are a higher quality item than the original,I know that many forumites have done the same.I have not Yet heard of a failure of the amp due to this having been done.
Is the Blue Marvel the ONLY speaker which will operate in the 112? I would expect that there are many others which would operate safely and efficiently and whilst it would be subjective,I guess the sound produced could be Better or Worse.
Once again, Thanks Mike for Your support to the steel guitar community,You are well respected and appreciated by all of us.
Best regards
Billy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 10:26 am    

I think the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies to the speaker in the Nashville 112.

When they first came out, several tried other speakers in them, mostly 1203 Black Widow speakers, and they found out there was nothing to gain sound wise with the Black Widow and it added weight to the amp, and the weight of the amp is one of the amp's pluses.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 1:42 pm    

There is a fellow down here who has played our jams and he put a neo speaker in his.
It, to my ears lost all it's highs and sounds terrible to me. The loss of weight he gained surely wasn't worth the tone he lost.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 3:00 pm    

Don, he probably saved very little weight. The Blue Marvel speaker in the 112 is pretty light to begin with.

I also tried a Black Widow in mine, and it made very little difference in the sound. I didn't like the extra weight, so I put the stock speaker back in.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 6:21 pm     Tilt back foot

Darvin, could you give me a source for the tilt back foot that you add to your amps? Thanks, George
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 6:43 am     Altering Amplifier Designs

Believe me, a manufacturer spends mucho money in R&D before they deliver the final product. If they(we) didn't, the products would come back and "bite us" on the service end of things.

All of our products(including Nashville models) undergo several stages of R&D before releasing to production, so that we know that we are offering the best possible product at the best possible price.

Now, the preference in speakers, IC's, types of reverb and on and on.................turns the amp into a "custom" model. The word "custom" spells an increase in the final cost of the product, a lengthy wait in manufacturing of the "custom" product, and possibly voiding the warranty.

Enough said.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Joe Wildman

Inverness, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 7:57 am    

I installed a Jensen NEO12-100. The Impedance should match the original speaker (4 ohm)The reason, Weight. Magnet weight is 7.1 oz.
It greatly reduced the weight of my amp and I can't tell any difference in the sound, maybe a little better to me. However I grant you that how an amp sounds depends on the person listening.
Joe
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 1:36 pm    

I put a JBL E120 in My nash 112....as far as I can tell ...all it did was make it weigh more!!!!!