| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Simpson next Thursday at Viva Fresh
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 4:25 pm    

That's right - on 12/19/02 the legendary truck song dude is truckin on down from Bakersfield with his Tele for a show at Viva Fresh at 900 Riverside Dr.in beautiful suburban Burbank.Yours truly will be picking steel.For those who don't know,Red is a major influence on the music of Junior Brown and that's Red w/Junior on the duet "Semi-Crazy".Also on the bill will be Buck Page and The Riders of the Purple Sage and the Cody Bryant Band(who will back up Red Simpson). Music is from 8PM-11PM and there'll also be the regular Thursday night Nashville style singer/songwriter showcase wing-ding afterwards in the back banquet room.
No cover/decent Mexican food/fair margaritas/hippest country music scene in the San Fernando Valley.
Ya'll come. -MJ-
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 6:19 pm    

Ya'll don't want to miss this one folks! Red Simpson with Mr. Steelguitar himself Michael Johnstone and later that night getting to hear Buck Page. . . .boy what a great night of Country Music (west coast style). I'll be there early hoping to get a seat right down front. Hope to see many of you guys there. Looking forward to some of those tasty Burritos & Salsa. NR
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 8:24 am    

Hey Michael,
I've got some tapes of a couple of shows Red did with us when I was working with the Eddy Drake band in the early eighties. I didn't realize what a fine lead guitar player he was until then. I had the pleasure of playing behind him on those great trucking songs. My favorite was one called "The Highwayman". He did an outstanding job on all his stuff. Red also plays a little steel guitar in case some of you don't know. The first time I ever met him was years ago when I got a call to play lead guitar at a private thing somewhere in Covina I believe. Red played steel that night. The next time when the Eddy Drake thing was happening I was on Steel and Red played lead. He's also an excellent song writer who takes a back seat to no one. A lot of songs Buck Owens recorded listed the writers as Buck Owens/Red Simpson but Red in fact wrote the things and Buck took a piece of the song to record it. That was a practice that used to happen a lot and is still happening today. When he was hot, 50% of a song recorded by Buck Owens was a lot better than 100% of a song recorded by John Dingleberry or whoever. Have a good 'un and tell Red hi for me. I don't know if he'll remember me or not as it's been 20 or so years. Just mention the Eddy Drake Band and the club called Next Time Country in Covina..........Later, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 11:32 am    

I've had Buck's Christmas album spinning regularly of late, the one that was recorded in '65, opens with "Santa looked alot like daddy" - I see that exactly 6 of the 12 songs are listed as "B.Owens/R.Simpson"
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 3:22 pm    

I'd bet you my pack seat that ol' Buck only changed a couple of words to the songs that Red wrote if even that...........JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 1:37 pm    

I might have to go to this...I'll try.

------------------
jamfree - music without limits
My Solo Project
Leo LeBlanc Tribute
jamfree radio
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 6:43 pm    

Tomorrow night. Be there or be square.I'll be playing my new Excel 12 string w/a Jerry Wallace pickup.It's a twang machine. -MJ-
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 9:50 pm    

MJ
Are you gonna be using your new Peavey Nashville 1000. NR
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 5:41 pm    

I'm probably gonna go w/my Nash 400 tonight to save space cause there's gonna be a lot of gear on a fairly small stage. As an interesting sideline,I found out last night there's also gonna be a film and remote recording crew there from New York to capture the entire gig for an upcoming documentary on California country music. So - it promises to be a real zoo down there. -MJ-
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 1:12 pm    

Michael, it was good to see you last night after what has it been, 20yrs! I'll try to make it more often now.
JE:-)>
Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 1:29 pm    

I had fun last night...man that place was really packed. Tough crowd too .

I enjoyed hearing you play Michael...good show.

------------------
jamfree - music without limits
My Solo Project
Leo LeBlanc Tribute
jamfree radio