| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maryland Steel Jam
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 1:45 pm    

Hi Folks:
Boy, If you missed this one,,,you missed some of the finest,hottest pickin anywhere. only one regret,,,I couldn't make it sunday,(today), With my bride with two broken legs,and in a wheelchair for the next 10 weeks, her needs were a little more than expected today. Hats off to Boo, and the entire staff at remingtons. what a super job and quite friendly to boot.!!! The fellowship was fantastic, and nice to see and as well meet some new friends. The crew from Ohio, (wayne, Linda, Don and his wife) I'm sure the 7 hr drive was worth it. Gary Leeeeee,,,Curry Coster, Boo, and Donnie behind that New MSA,,,Talk about the fox in the hen house,,,,Pickers from N.C. to West Va. Heck,,,I'm still catching my Breath...The house Band couldnt have been better, the best I've heard for quite some time. Many thanks to Al Miller for getting this thing together. it's been long overdue. God Bless and have a safe holiday season. hope to see you all again soon.

Joe

Derby SD-10-4X5 Nashville 400 Fender twin Profex ll Lexicon MPX 100
Robert Lewand

Baltimore, Maryland
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 4:51 pm    

Amen! What an impressive array of talent. I've posted a few pictures from the weekend on my website: http://www.lewand.com/robert. Looking forward to the next jam.

[This message was edited by Robert Lewand on 09 December 2002 at 05:24 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 5:43 pm    

Yes, it was an awesome jam! I want to thank Al (Boo) Miller and Ray Walker for all the work they did...they couldn't have been more accomodating. It was the largest and best "local" jam I've ever been to, and they had at least 15 players each day. Sunday's crowd was even better than Saturday's, and you got a chance to hear every style playing, and almost every brand of steel.

It was great to hear all these local players (not that we don't like the "big dogs" ), and have them featured individually, and in a "circle-jam" too! It was also good meeting some of the Forum members that were there.

Great job, Boo!

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 5:51 pm    

Joe I know just what you mean. I had a great time. I really didn't want to leave but had to get to the gig. I was going back down today but my amp blowed last night at the gig then when I got home my furnace had quit so I spend the day working on it. Man I can't wait till the next one. Boo and the guys done a great job. My hats off to them.

------------------
Bob Myers Derby SD10 3&4
S10 Emmons p/p Nashville 400
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 6:47 pm    

Hi Joe and Donny, sorry I couldn't make it. Just a little far for me to drive. I am particularly interested in the blind steeler, Tom Kaufman, from Denton, Md. I was informed he had been invited to attend and perform. Does anyone know if he played than can give us some input? Thanks...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 08 December 2002 at 06:49 PM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 3:47 am    

Tom was awe inspiring
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 4:46 am    

If ya missed it you missed a big one and a great time. What talent and what fun!!!!. Tired??? You betcha but I wouldn't have missed it for the world and would do it again at the drop of a hat. We started by heading out Friday night to listen to Chris, Ty, Ricky and the boys do a little playing. The place was packed and for a good reason. Them boys were hot as fire on a mountain top and they were havin fun. Now for the JAM!!!!Too many players to mention here but I am telling you folks it was great. There were pickers there from all over plus a load of local players who could get your attention with their talents. The jam ended early Saturday cause many of the players there traveled a long ways and were dead tired. Sunday, however, picked up where we left off Saturday and folks were still bringing in their equipment at 6:00 Sunday evening. I would like to thank the band who played for us throughout the weekend and never let up. What a great backup band. Every picker who requested a song was given that song and boy it was given in style. Oh...Curry...you really need to slow down with that pickin a little...you're tearin the strings off that Emmons buddy. I would like to thank my wife and my sister in law who stayed at that door the entire weekend checking folks in and getting them squared away. My brother shot video for us the entire weekend and we will be getting that ready for those who would like some or all of what we got. I would like to personally thank all of the pickers who came out and made this such a fantastically great time for everyone. Boo and I will be contacting each of you shortly for personal comments. You are a great bunch of folks and I hope you all had as much fun playing and listening as we did. Finally I would like to thank my dear friend BOO. He made it all possible and flat worked his butt off the entire weekend. I know when he got home last night he was dead on his feet and I bet if you asked he would do it all over again right now!!. Thank you Boo for all your hard work and dedication to seeing that all your fellow steel playing friends could have such a great time. It's no wonder you are so loved by so many. I was just proud to be a part of it.

God Bless you all

Ray
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 9:05 am    

Boo and Ray and all the others who worked on this jam, great job! I drove down for the whole weekend from Philly, and it was well worth the trip. I was so outclassed I decided to be satisfied as a rank amateur and just sit back and listen and learn. And you guys sure showed me a lot of stuff - Curry burning up the old Emmons, Boo on that Mullen, Don on his new MSA (aw shucks, I'm not used to it yet - yeah, right), Bob on his Carter D12, Chuck and Clyde on those LLIIIs, Linda and Wayne (loved that Over the Rainbow), and Joanne (as good as any man there, and better than most), and all the others (some I missed by getting there a little late, and having to leave early to drive back). And Tom Kaufman proves you don't have to have sight to play steel. He was all over that neck with hands of gold, and never missed a fret or a string. And the backup band and singers were so great, they turned it into a real show rather than just a jam.

On top of this two day lesson from masters, I was able to pick up a rare Emmons S12 E9 P/P (needs work, just like me - maybe we'll both be in shape to play next year).

My only regret was I got so caught up in it, I missed the Eagles beating the Seahawks and moving into first place (3 big wins in a row with 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks - if these guys don't choke, they can go all the way this year). But Boo and everybody were so friendly, it made me want to move back down South.

Thanks, Boo and all y'all. You just can't get that much of the good stuff up here in the Nawth. I know it was a lot of work, but please tell me you'll do it again next year.

------

Outranked rank amateur

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 11:44 am    

Ray, it was a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you could make it out to my gig and I'm glad I made it out to the jam. You're a kind man with a good heart, God bless you.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 12:34 pm    

We were not able to make it this time but will the next. We got hit with that ice storm and were with out power from 3:00AM Thursday morning until 8:45 Sunday morning.It was a little tuff but we made it thru.I could not even play my Steel for 3 and a half days and I need to play every day.Glad it turned out to be a great show. I'm glad for Boo and Ray as I know what work goes into running these shows.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 09 December 2002 at 12:36 PM.]

Don Burrows

Ashtabula, Oh. USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 12:51 pm    

Joe, Ruby and I sure missed you on Sunday.
I sure do not know where to begin with the Jam. It was AWESOME"""" Boo, you had the finest back-up band anyone could have, they were great. Some of the finest steel playing I have ever heard. Tom Kaufman was fabulous. Boo, Curry, Donnie Hinson, are top notch SPEED PICKERS and so many more, that I forgot the names, that need the recognition. Sure looking foreward to the next one.
Don
Paul E Vendemmia

Olney Maryland Mongomery
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 2:26 pm    

great job Boo i had fun even if i did have to play with curry man he the best. Hope you can pull it off again sometime soon.
I'll Bring my guitar this time. I'll call you in a dy or two and we can compair notes.
Thanks again Paul
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 4:24 pm    

Well the jam is over but the memories will live with me forever.
I dont know where to begin.
I would like to thank each and every person for there time and talent and man what talent we had in that room over the weekend.I must first and foremost say that TOM KAUFMAN HAS A Gift from above that truly brought me down to a level of humanity I havent seen in a long time. this man was put here on the planet to do just what he showed us he was capable of this weekend.
THANK YOU TOM FOR YOUR INSPIRATION!!
Now . every one else deserves as much applause as the next for there perfomance .the back up band was AWSOME!! and hand picked by my ole Buddy wendell cavin JR Great Job Wendell and thank you ..
Ray walker ,wade shackleford,bob hayes, DEB walker,martha walker charlie walker and everyone else who helped me thoughout the weekend deserves a big hand and a very large THANK YOU!!! It could not have been pulled off with out you guys /girls.
And most of all the Players that showed!! wayne/linda hetzler,clyde bloodwotrh,curry coster,joann joyce,bob hayes,gary lee gimball,Donny hinson,paul vendemia,chuck cambell,ron hiler,joeseph sapp,ray walker,robert myers,tom kaufman, don burrows,i hope i didnt forget anyone i may have but im stil dead dog tired but it was worth every second of it lets do it again real soon .
I love each and every one of you guys and girls and extend my hand in gratitude for all your support......
Until the next one
Boo (AL) Miller
P.S I would also like to thank my dad who Bragged on me all weekend and really supported this jam and kept me going thanks POPS ,I love you
BOO
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 3:00 am    

BOO,
All that I can say ,Buddy,Is G R E A T !!. But I'm going into the WOOD SHEAD to get ready for West Virginia!! and Maryland Annual II!.
It was great seeing a lot of "OLD" freinds and aquaintenses again.. and I have to repeat the KUDOs for the Band..actually there were Two bands..and the way they mixed and matched..there were about 5 seperate bands that could play ANY THING under the sun with professional confidence. It was great matching names with faces..Gary Lee,Tom,Donny,Cury,and some others..and seeing and talking to some old freinds from the past ..and I might say my idols..Clyde Bloodsworth and Chuck Camble. You're Dad...Pops, is one proud man and rightfully so. Boo ..You are simply amazing...and I didn't think that you knew what you were getting yourself into when you came up with the idea of this jam..BUT you pulled it off..and you worked your butt off the whole weekend keeping things going ,keeping everything coordinated, and keeping everybody happy. But you're talent is beyond discription!. You and Curry, and Donny (with the New MSA Milliniums),and Tom were clearly the hits off the weekend, Ray ,thanks for your support as ussual and the great job that you ,you're brother, Debbie and you're sister in law did keeping things going ,Recording and and taking care of entry. What else..I'm sorry that my Feeble mind has a hard time remembering names..But WE HAD ONE AwSOME MC..doing the job of running sound ,spinning "TRACKS" and also keeping us entertained durring the dead spots, Wendel & Wendel Jr Cavin. Great host,owners. and Jr- a Crazy wonderfull Drumer. The girs behind the bar and bringing the food ,which was also increadable, were Fantasic.. It was nice to meet Joanne again ,and my (I still call him little)buddy, the overly talanted Mark Morree (? spell check) all the guys and girls from Penn,Ohio, Tide water area, upper Maryland ,Virginia...and not to forget the two lovely.Karoake Singers!!!!.. If I forgot any body..or anything..I'm sorry..It was a long drive..but well woth it..again Boo...Congrats..for a job well done and let's get ready for #2.
Grouchyvet

[This message was edited by Bob Hayes on 10 December 2002 at 03:04 AM.]

HWHYoYo

West Sunbury, PA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 8:24 am    

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Some of the best music and people on the planet. Thanks, Boo. Hope this was the first of many more.

------------------
Wayne Hetzler
98 Carter SD10
00 Carter SD10
Evans FET500
Nashville 1000

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 9:19 am    

Sorry to have had to miss this one; sounds like it was a great time. I just had too many family obligations that weekend. Hopefully, next time! Congrats to Boo and all the others who made it such a success!
Jimbeaux
Jo Ann Joyce

Silver Spring, MD - USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 1:42 pm    

We had a blast! Thank you for all the work that you did to make this event happen and pulling together all the players and a place to hold the "jam." I'd say for your 1st Rodeo, you're an "8"! I know that you must be SO worn out! But it was all worth it, and I wish we could do it again, next week
It was nice to meet so many of you from all over the place! Each and every player had something to offer that was very special and I loved every one of the players. I was glad to be in an environment where all levels of playing were welcome, and Boo you achieved your goal and fostered fellowship amongst all of us. Other than the playing and the music, you gave us all something that no amount of money can buy, friendship. Thank you and everyone who contributed to this event. My husband (Mark Moree on the tele) and I both had a wonderful time, and we both felt like kids at Christmas! Thanks for the early present. We owe you big time. Hugs.
PS-Thanks to all of you who helped me out with my gear. Your help was sincerely appreciated.

[This message was edited by Jo Ann Joyce on 10 December 2002 at 01:46 PM.]