| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Star....Opinions?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 9:58 pm    

i'm posting this question under 'steel players' because i assume many of you love and respect country music and actually try to attain a high level of performance in this genre. so i'm curious about what you think of this show, hosted by billy ray.
ok, i'll start. every contestant sucks. not one is worthy of a karaoke bar. rich and jewel and the floppy haired blonde dude should be totally ashamed of accepting pay for finding anything positive about any of the performances. they're lying! i have no respect for them.
the producers of the show should be shot for airing this program for the damage it will do to country music. i can't understand how they could end up with a dozen finalists with less than no talent. this is the best they could find out of hundreds/thousands of applicants? i think not!

my respect goes out to the pickers...especially the steel...if they have the singers in the monitors, they're doing an incredible job of playing in tune in spite of the vocals.

at least billy ray doesn't have to pretend anyone is any good since he's just hosting or whatever.

anyone have anything to say about this??

ps... i can't believe i've watched some of this on and off for several weeks! it's like a moth being drawn to a flame...or rubbernecking at a fatal accident.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 10:36 pm    

Chris I agree with you on all points except two.I like Billy Ray,And I don't wanna see nobody get shot!I would rather see people throw baseballs at them...Like those metal milk bottles at the fair,And the really bad ones should get bowling balls thrown at them. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 10:53 pm    

Chris - seriously, push yourself away from the television set. This kind of stuff is awful. Remember the Gong Show? At least that was completely tongue in cheek, but this faux-talent nonsense is just its bastard progeny. The difference is that it now has mainstream legs, whereas back then it was just a freak show that was quickly panned, trashed, and canceled.

The strange thing is that the Gong Show was, in a very perverse way, funny. None of these shows even have that redeeming quality, to my tastes.

My opinions, of course. I mean no disrespect to the band musicians on this or any of these other "talent" shows. But the concept is fatally flawed, IMHO.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 2:58 am    

My wife turned it on last night and we watched for a few minutes..

It wasn't so much that the singers were mediocre at best, the judges are blatantly foolish, pretending to be the EXPERTS on the planet with long winded verbage about nothing .

Now I don't want to diss the performers but the fact of the matter is that the ones I saw last night were NOT great , average at best. The Judges blabbing on and on about whatever is not going to change that one bit and if someone actually does win they will have NO lasting career, it's hard enough for great singers to grab the spotlight for a career.

There were 3 girls singing in three part harmony, I can't put my finger on what was wrong as I only listened for a few moments,but most of what I heard was ON THE EDGE harmony, there was something sour going on with the voicings, consistent, one of the judges mentioned it ever so briefly but then moved on to how great they were.

NOT...what would be the point of telling them they were great when he knew they sounded horrible ?

IF they win, they are going to have a "VERY LONG" day on Music Row....
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 3:36 am     Winners

Hey, with the vast and great talent in today's country music, they could be tomorrows superstars

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 3:55 am    

I haven't watched the show in a
couple of weeks but caught about
twenty minutes last night.
Thats all it took.
The talent is below average.
Its better to turn it off that
get upset over it.

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 5:09 am     Nada

Hi Chris
I watched five or six minutes and turned it off. There are some good things on TV and the on/off switch is one of the better things.

Ken
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 5:51 am    

Pat Severs on Steel was UP in the mix last night! Smile

I predict Gabe to be the next Nashville Star.
Very Happy
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:02 am    

I can't speak for the other contestants but I know
Allison Gilbert and she is a great singer. This trumped up "reality show" I'm afraid is all a preconcieved idea of a network producer from start to finish. How can a singer that won't go on stage without dancers, a rapper and a midget tell someone else she's over the top. Then he shouts about his traditional country heritage. Save yourself, go see
live music.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:12 am    

Hey Chuck,
Is Allison the one that got booted off?
Chuck McGill

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:17 am    

Theresa. There has probably been a show or two between the last time I watched. The only reason I
have tuned in is because of Allison.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:25 am    

Everybody - turn it off and it will go away .....
Chuck McGill

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:31 am    

Theresa I googled and found out Allison was eliminated last night. At least the tv exposure may help her in the future.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 6:47 am     These talent scout hosts........................

I tried to watch it the other night and simply could not take it. Such sad, dead-end performances labled as "TALENT". And the arrogance of the hosts makes one ill.

Slightly off suject....but caught the corner of the Johnny Cash story last night "I Walk the Line"......

Once again, country musicians were portrayed as worthless, pill popping, maladjusted, irresponsible DRUNKS. The phoney southern accents and all.....and rinky dinky country styled wardrobes....

It almost makes one cry!

The equivilant of this kind of programming is about what you'd get in the space indutry if'n you querried all the janitors on how to run the shuttle launch. GADD!
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:06 am    

Yes, she's gone... I must say, I agree. She couldn't sing in tune most of the time.

I did think the judges were at atleast judging them on if they were Country or not last night.
I admire Jeffrey Steele so much, he's a great songwriter! Smile

As for John Rich, his comment about not being the best singer, but it's about being a Star upset me alot.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:20 am    

modern country is worse than worthless to me, its annoyingly bad. I wouldnt want to watch amatuers attempts at aspiring to that. UNLESS..it was as delightfully as bad as the old Gong Show was. Bring on the rapping Cowboy, the fiddle player in a robot costume, the "unknown steeler" with a bag over his head...break out Charles Nelson Riley, get Jamie Farr on the phone, etc.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:27 am    

I don't think this show is probably even relevant to someone's career. What ever happened to last year's winner, Angela Hacker? I thought she was an awesome singer and I haven't heard of her since she won. Her brother was also pretty good and a good guitar picker.

Of this year's group, I like the Garcia kid from Texas. You can tell he's got classic country in his roots and might be able to do something if he keeps at it.........JH in Va.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:47 am    

Pat Severs is a great steel player for Nashville Star. My favorite contestant is Ashlee Hewitt. She did an amazing version of "Ring Of Fire". I'm friends with the correspondent Katie Cook too. The competition was so close last night cause it was either Allyson Gilbert or Laura and Sophie, who would leave the show. I thought Allyson was great too. I wonder if Pat Severs decided to go back to playin' Emmons steels. He played a GFI on Nashville Star in '04 and in '06, he played a Magnum steel.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:50 am    

Quote:
Once again, country musicians were portrayed as worthless, pill popping, maladjusted, irresponsible DRUNKS.
I never felt worthless.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:50 am    

Chuck McGill wrote:
Theresa. There has probably been a show or two between the last time I watched. The only reason I
have tuned in is because of Allison.

I loved Allison too.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 8:21 am    

I don't know what y'all have been watching, but Walk The Line was on the tube last night (TBS, I think). Now that was something worth watching. Holy Cr*p!

I was amazed at just how good Joachim Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were.

Sorry for the topic drift: we now return you to the Nashville Star (?) dialogue....

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 8:23 am    

....edited because it dont matter what I think anyway Laughing

Pat and the band sound great though.

Must be tough to be a contestant and be criticized and booted by folks who cant even carry a tune in a BIG bucket.

Last edited by Mike Cass on 1 Jul 2008 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 8:40 am    

Joachin and Reece are terrific actors but I thought the movie was lame and the singing fair at best.
I'm glad I did not pay see it.

Gee Mike,
Why don't you tell us what you really mean?
Actually I agree with you.
Don
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 8:45 am    

Don, yeah I was a bit over the top, which is why I edited.
I just thought that we were thru with Billy Ray and now he's baaaaack!! with a vengance Sad
I think its pretty cheap to push yer kid to generate interest for yourself. With her Dad's help she'll end up just like Britney. PWT.
And that Johhny Cash movie was junk as well. Id be pi$$ed off if my last name was "Cash".
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 9:11 am    

How to improve the Nashville Star

1. Surround the stage with Chicken Wire
2. Give out free beer in glass bottles

All problems solved. You would see the real talent in these folks come on out right fast, and the rest would be packing it home.

m.