| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bose amp System for Steel
Lonnie Terry

Penticton B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 1:36 pm    

Anyone out there using the Bose system version 2 with sub woofer to run there steel through? At present I'm using an Evans SE 150 along with a Peavey Pro 2 effects unit. I'm kinda partial to the Larry Sasser sound. Was wondering if it was possible to get close to that sound with the Bose system and what settings would be needed to acheive it. I do a single act acompanied by a bad back so any less equipment hauling would be just great!

Lonnie
John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 3:32 pm    

Hi Lonnie, I've been using the Bose 802 system for years. I have 2 pair. At present, I have one pair is my studio set-up, and one pair for gig use. With the panaray system controller, a power amp, and an effects processor, in my roll-around rack, I get quite all that I need for small to medium size gigs. For steel, I use two 112s, with a 57 on them into a small Mackie board. Acoustic guitar and bass, go through a Countryman di box, and my strat and tele are going through a mesa boogie Mark IV, with a 57 on it. Yes, it's a pain in the *** to set all the stuff up, but the 802's are easy, light, and the sound quality is right there. A great system. Good luck. J. W.

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Lonnie Terry

Penticton B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 7:51 am     Bose amp System for Steel

Hi John, Thanks for the reply I think you are using an earlier system , the model I'm talking about is the one with the 24 speakers that looks like a piece of black sewer pipe 7 feet tall plus a subwoofer (Bose L1 Model 2) 500 watt with tone match engine it is a super sound for your backing tracks and vocals.
check out Bose .com for more info. Iv'e tryed several different settings for steel and can get pretty close to an Evans SE150 sound but not quite there yet. Lonnie
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 9:00 am    

I have no experience with the Bose system, but from what I have read it is a type of PA system. So, as with any PA, in order to get guitar amp and speaker tone from it (or in your case steel guitar amp and speaker tone) you would need to, either mike a steel amp (which would defeat your minimal equipment purpose), or use an amp and speaker simulator, such as a POD. A good multi-band EQ device dedicated to the steel might also work.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 11:49 am     You got it now!!

Lonnie: I would tell you that you probably have a very lightweight system now, with the SE-150 amp, depending on what steel guitar you are using, if your using a D-10, even the newer lightweight models, but never play any 6th stuff, I would get a S-10 model to bring the weight down, or an S-12 Universal model.
I am using an SE-150 Evans when I play out, but I have a great Nashville 400 with LeMay mods that sounds much better, but is also much heavier to move about, I also have a Fender Steel King amp & it is heavier than the PV. Its just tough to be real 'light' playing steel. I have plugged into PA systems at different times and never could quite get the sound I like through any of them, but thats just me. Good luck with this!!

Ernie Whoa!