| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which new pedal steels do you want to see in a music store?
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 3:55 pm    

Folks, appreciate your thoughts on this.
You walk into a musical instrument store which carries pedal steel guitars,which brands if 3 are possible do you hope to see the most?
Used Sho Buds, Emmons are a given but I am asking about new steels.

Thank You, Pete
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 4:41 pm    

Sad Pete we don't have a store here that is interested in carrying steel guitars . They act like we are from another planet or something ! They say something like the steel guitars are dying out and no one plays them any more !! How dumb !!! Mad Could be because they can't play one huh ? Just remember ''REAL ''country music has a steel and fiddle in the band ! '' Open for shots now '' ! Razz
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 4:56 pm    

Hey Gary

I appreciate your comment, I think for most stores the steel gtr is something they are afraid of, no one wants to appear dumb and if they know nothing about it, it does become an expense.
What three brands would you be most excited to see?

Thanks, Pete
Steve Morley

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 5:52 pm    

I'd like to see and hear anything the store is carrying! (I know that's not an answer.) I haven't been in the habit of buying new guitars, but I do plan on buying within the next few years. So, I hope to see and play instruments at shows, including Mullens, Rittenberry, and Derby. I imagine that any other well-made axe could turn my head (MSA, Williams, Excel, GFI, Rains, Fessenden, etc.), too. At some point, I'm going to call up one of the stores and place an order, and I couldn't begin to tell you why I'd pick a particular brand right now. I only know those brand names from listening to players talk about what they like about them, knowing that those players had tried many other guitars before.

I can't help but recall when I started to shoot competitive skeet. I traveled around with a small group locally, and to various other locales, such as San Antonio, Louisville, Baltimore, etc. There were always shooters there that had the latest $10,000, or more expensive, shooting iron. Some bought it because they could, and having started off with a Sears or Western Auto 12ga, they could appreciate a finely crafted gun that didn't break targets one bit harder than the $25 gun they started with as a youngster. Others, just had to have the latest and greatest, and all the paraphernalia, thinking that it gave them an advantage. My old partners Bob and Mary used to say just watch out for the man who comes to the shoot, not in fancy togs, but in overalls with a beat-up old Winchester Model 12 (worth a small fortune now), and runs the field! He may be just there as a "tune-up" before bird hunting season on his farm, or maybe just for fun, but he can get a fine performance out of that old beater. The same can be said of musical instruments: I always try a new song out on my $30 beach guitar - if I can make it sound musical on that, then I can probably play it on a better one.

Man! I don't know what got me going tonight; I need to shut up and listen more around here!!
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 6:05 pm     steels

I'm With You Gary. SONNY.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 7:12 pm    

ok gary...i had a shot...now what?
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 8:10 pm    

Thanks for your comments guys
Take Care, Pete
Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 8:30 am    

The last steel I saw in a store was an old Bud. The guy had no idea what to do with it... so I Bought it at a bargain price Smile

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Tamara James

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 8:38 am    

Big brand names are great, but I would like to see the "other guy" represented also. Right here, near the Canadian border we have 2 very good builders. BSG and Performance. Both in Ohio. Both with great tone. Prices are in the "common person" range.

Go with the Day set-up on at least one. Some folks call it the "goofy-foot", but after playing it awhile, I call it the "happy-foot" set up because my pedal foot is so much happier now. Very Happy
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 8:57 am    

Quote:
Which new pedal steels do you want to see in a music store?

Any kind, which is a helluvalot more than I see now. I haven't seen a pedal steel of any kind in a "regular" music store for quite a while now.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 8:59 am    

Jackson, MSA, Promat.... followed closely by Franklin, Whitney and Clinesmith.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:23 am    

I would like to see the Rains and the Mullen. I have a strong desire to try these out. They are fast becoming my sound choice.
I would also love to see a Promat. The PP mech intrigues me.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:25 am    

I can't even find a set of pedal steel guitar strings at my local music store.A few years ago they had a used Sierra double neck keyless,the morons at the store set it up without pedals,I asked if they could put the pedals on?They said if you buy it. Crying or Very sad
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:34 am    

I dont think the stores would have any problem carrying instruments they know nothing about IF THEY SOLD WELL. Fact is they dont compared to other instruments and stores dont carry and display what they cannot sell.

what would I lke to see? any brand would be nice...the only store in town with a pedal steel has an ancient busted up gibson behemoth that doesnt work and has been sitting there for two years (that i know of at least). The pedals are all on one side like a multichord...I think they are asking soe ridiculous amount of $ for it also. I asked the guy hw often he gets n used steels and he said they see 3 a year, usually all Carter Starters.
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:38 am    

Thanks for all the replies, hope to hear more.
Take Care, Pete
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:43 am    

it would be hip if music stores had at least some student models like the ZumSteel Stage One or the Carter Starter
Obviously, they'll have to have somebody on hand to show the ropes
but all in all, i don't need to go to a Music Store for my steel needs
there's plenty of steel vendors who we all know too well that take care of Bizness
that's where i spend the $$$/€€€/£££
Steel Guitar Nashville, Duane Dunard, Billy Cooper, Jim Palenscar, Scotty's, Daniel Cormier, Rainbow Music Ireland
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:47 am    

A store will sell at least 100 strats, Teles and LPs before they sell a single steel.

Unless the store is a steel specialty shop, it doesn't make sense for them to have one in stock.

Moreover, steels are not cheap, and if a store stocked one, they would have to add their piece on to the price.

There is a thread about paying $7,000 for a steel. Would anybody be willing to pay twice that much so the store can get it's cut?
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 9:50 am    

None. The only good steel guitars are built to order and custom made. Steel guitars are not like Stratocasters. Thats why there is a waiting list for the good pedal steels.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 10:57 am    

I think Pete was just looking for what people think are the three most intriguing new steel guitars, not a diatribe on the fact that very few music stores will have anything to do with our beloved instrument.
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 11:02 am    

Very interesting comments so far.
Stores can sell for the same price as direct as they would see a discount for buying and stocking gtrs.

Kevin I am suprised to see you say none, if a store stocked a high quality gtr like a Mullen or Carter for ex. it would not be as good as ordering the same gtr from the factory?

I agree a store must have a staff member who is a player and understands the instrument and the music.

Keep the thoughts coming please, Thank You, Pete
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 11:14 am    

Cartwright, appreciate your comments and it is good to hear everyone's thoughts.
I should explain why I am asking all this, I manage a music store in Saskatoon,Canada and both myself and my senior assist manager are very devoted players.
I play a lot of instruments, gtr being my main one and pedal steel which I have always loved and dabled with years ago I have decided to take up very seriously,so has my assist manager.

In doing so we recognized the huge hole in our area for steel players so we decided to change it because players deserve it and it is our passion.

Not only are we making sure we are stocked on strings,bars and starter gtrs we have started a Pedal Steel Club which is getting organized right at this minute.

I have hired two long time players to do free clinics for members starting in July, jam sessions on Sundays, books and printouts of steel history ect.
The response has been amazing, 27 members to date within 4 weeks, some from as far away as 7 hours, all who were shocked that steel gtr was going to get the attention and sharing of knowledge.

I would also like to extend to any of you if you are travelling through Saskatoon for playing or any reason please contact me I want to hire people to do in-store clinics.

I am taking this very seriously and that is why your input is so important.
Take Care, Pete
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 11:29 am    

kevin...i've had at least five great steels that weren't custom built/custom ordered for me...so i guess you live in a higher class of pickers than i do!
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 11:51 am     Steels in Stores

I dont know of a single steel guitar manufacturer that has enough finished product to supply any 1 store, much less mutiple stores with merchandise. Del, and the Mantey boys are building the G2s as fast as they can, and the backlog is increasing. Jackson Guitars are backlogged, ZUM is ceasing, I cant get Carter on the phone...Unless there is a drastic increase in interest in the steel, I cant see it happening...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 11:53 am    

I know that alot of the pros are playing Zums and you have to stand in line to get one built. Same with Franklins and Show- Pros. There's a reason. I also know that you could never buy a new one at a music store.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2008 12:31 pm    

I see it like this. You should have an entry/cheaper model for new players and people you can talk into one, but for the steel guitar player, I would want a guitar that you do not need someone to sell.

The Mullen....

There are some others, but they don't have dealers I think. The thing is the guitar will sell itself and you do no have to have super qualified salesmen to move them. Any steel player that sits down and actually plays one, will know what it has to offer over the other brands.