| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audacity Ext Problem
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 9:51 am    

I recorded a song used as a teaching for a friend and wrote the tab for the way I played it. so he could use the both together as a guide to learning it. "the Shadow of Your Smile". BUT however I export it to to wave and it wont play in windows as the extension is AUP, That is a propietrary ext of Audiciy. This I dont like. How can I change it to a friendly extension that can be played elsewhere.? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I just played the song once through slowly for him, with a few flubs, so he could follow it easily.I never intended it for the general public. But am thinking of putting it on Charles Tilley's Website , for my June contribution. ...Thanks...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 10:27 am    

On my Audacity program, in the File menu, are options "Export as WAV...", "Export as MP3..." "Export as Ogg Vorbis..."
Do you have those in your File menu? They work for me.

I think that "Export as MP3" might not have always been there. Maybe I had to download and install something to make that work. But the WAV export was always there, and it is a common format that can be player almost anywhere.
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 11:01 am    

Earnest-Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.I have tried "Export as Wav'. And it wittl wonat play in Windows because of the "AUP" extension. If I can get rid of the extension and put "Wav" on it then it would play anywhere.. I am going to quit using Audacity, I like it but I use the "Change" in Properties to windows media player and windows still wont recognize it....al.SmileSmile

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 11:46 am    

AUP is the Audacity file format. It can only be read my Audacity. When that file youfilename.AUP was created, Audacity probably also created a folder called yourfilename.data.

You can rename the file (right click on it, then click on remane, and type in a .WAV instead of .AUP. But that won't make it a WAV file.

Probably you did create (Export) a WAV file, but it is probably in a different folder where you haven't found it yet. So try Export as WAV... again, and look carefully at the dialog box where you name the file. At the top of that box it says "Save in:" and that tell you what folder it will be saved in. It is probably not the folder that you want it in. Before you click the Save button, you can choose to navigate to the folder that you want to Save in. For example you could save to the Desktop where it may be easier to find it (unless your Desktop is crowded). To do that, navigate up to the desktop by clicking on the yellow folder with the up arrow near the top right of the Save dialog box. This arrow will take you "Up one level" one step at a time until you reach the desktop. The you can Save, and you should see the WAV on the Desktop somewhere.
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 8:14 pm    

Earnest-thanks for the good tip. I do navigate to the desktop a lot, so am familiar with that. I finally got it exported right. Tilley put it on his website ,"Songs heard around the World",for my June song. I tabbed it and was using the audio for a teaching tape for a friend a few years ago.I think maybe I used "Save Project as" and that keeps it in Audicity, I supoose. Thanks again for your interest, isnt the steel Guitar Forum great?...al.SmileSmile.