| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eddie Stubbs Wins 2002 Country Music Association Broadcast P
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 12:28 pm    

As Eddie is a great supporter of steel guitar and a great fan I thought this might need to brought to attention.

EDDIE STUBBS WINS!
Self-Proclaimed 'Hillbilly DJ' Honored By CMA

650 WSM proudly announces that our own Eddie Stubbs is the 2002 Country Music Association Broadcast Personality of the Year. 

CMA official Kim Leslie called WSM's offices with the good news on Monday morning, October 7, hoping to arrange an on-air surprise for Eddie with a phone call from BNA artist Kenny Chesney breaking the news.  Learning Eddie had the evening off, Chesney left the news on Eddie's voice mail.  650 WSM program director Kyle Cantrell then called Eddie at home and advised him to call his voice mail to hear a very important message.   

Eddie reacted with typical modesty, reiterating 'I'm just a hillbilly disc jockey that wants to play hillbilly records."  When asked if he was over the moon, he responded in his best Eeyore voice, 'Well…there's not that much that really affects me,' but his elation was poorly concealed. (Eddie's somewhat somber demeanor often elicits fond comparisons to Eeyore, the perpetually depressed donkey from A.A. Milne's Winnie The Pooh children's classics.)

The irony of the honor doesn't escape the recognition of Eddie's friends and fans.  Just days prior to receiving word of his CMA win, Eddie backsold Ricky Skaggs' first #1 hit, "Crying My Heart Out Over You," by noting Skaggs was labeled 'too country' by industry pundits before dominating the 1980's country charts and working successfully to help renew the bluegrass genre.  Commented Eddie to his listeners, "I like people who buck the Establishment and win, especially when the cause is traditional country music." 

Eddie is the first AM air personality to win Broadcast Personality of the Year in twenty years.  In 1982, 650 WSM's Chuck Morgan won.  Two other 650 WSM announcers have also won the award:  legendary air personalities and Opry announcers Hairl Hensley and Grant Turner.

Our heartfelt thanks to Eddie Stubbs for his fearless standing on tradition, for working to preserve the heritage of traditional country music and taking it into the future; and for honoring 650 WSM by being a part of this station.  Eddie stands as proof that unwavering integrity and commitment to a cause always wins in the end. 
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 2:30 pm    

This is really great news. Eddie is a great promoter of steel guitar and of traditional country music. I am happy to hear about him receiving this honor.

Congratulations Eddie!

Tony Rankin
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:54 am    

Ron, where on the dial is your "Traditional Country Live" station? I live right next to Las Colinas and haven't found it yet.
Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 8:37 am    

Eddie is real good fiddle player too! I've been a fan of his for many years as he toured with the Johnson Mountain Boys playing fiddle and singing baraton/bass. His musical talent and knowledge of traditional music is exceptional.

Terry
Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 9:44 am    

Couldn't possibly happen to a nicer guy, and to do what he does for traditional music, while he is in the spotlight. A lesser man would cowtow to the pressure and play more of what we really don't want to hear. Congratulations, Eddie...Pat Jenkins
Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:46 pm    

Congratulations, Eddie!! Finally something positive happens in Country Music. You are so deserving.

------------------