| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic

Which statement best describes your parents?
My Dad was/is a steel player
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
My Mom was/is a steel player
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both of my parents were/are steel players
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
One of my parents played/plays another (non-steel) instrument or sings
27%
 27%  [ 35 ]
Both of my parents played/play another (non-steel) instrument or sings
17%
 17%  [ 22 ]
Neither of my parents played/play or sing, but other close family members who do/did influenced me
14%
 14%  [ 19 ]
Neither my parents, nor any other close family members, played/play or sing
35%
 35%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 127

Author Topic:  Do You Come From a Musical Family?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 5:00 pm    

I've noticed that many of the players I admire had one or both parents who were steel players, or at least musicians of some kind. I think they had an unfair advantage growing up!

So, I'm kinda curious: how many of you had a steel player for a parent? Two steel players? One or two non-steel musicians?

Vote above, and let's see the results!

p.s. For the poll, let's assume a 'player' means at least a serious and accomplished part-timer who plays publically on occasion, but not necessarily a full-time pro. And, yes, we'll include serious and accomplished singers and even drummers! Shocked
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 6:30 pm    

My father was a public school music teacher and band director, a tenor in the church choir, and played viola in the Catskill Symphony Orchestra in Oneonta, NY. He played square dances to pay his way through college, played baritone horn in the Air Force band in Florida during world war II, and played in square dance and prom bands all his life.
My mother played violin when she was in high school, and still plays piano at 86. My dad is still living but has macular degeneration and is unable to see to read music anymore, but still plays some piano by ear...
My parents always supported my musical ambitions when I was young, and my dad drove me around to play gigs with my first rock band when I was still in high school...
Larry J.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 6:46 pm    

Both parents sang well - my mom was conservatory trained in opera, but never went "pro". They sang in church and other local things mostly. My dad sang in light opera productions well into his 70s.

My dad also played some piano and guitar, enough to show me enough chords to get started on guitar. I studied classical piano seriously growing up, and there was always a great diversity of music around the house - anything from classical to opera to show tunes to swing jazz to popular to folk to bluegrass. But for rock and roll, blues, mainstream jazz, and country, I was on my own. They never exactly got that kind of stuff. That must be a big part of why I gravitated right to that kind of thing right after I stopped studying classical piano. Wink
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 8:29 pm    

I was the first one to play anything. My Dad wrote a few back in the day... "Be-Bop-a-Lula," "Race With the Devil," "Important Words"... more, but I can't think of them right now...

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 9:06 pm    

My mom and dad both played harmonicas but didn't play very much.
I was the only one who blossomed into a fabulous musician but I never could spell. Shocked Very Happy
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 10:44 pm    

No musicians in my family at all.My Dad was a machinist,and my Mom...it's like that Steely Dan song...I'm a book keepers son.I taught myself the piano when I was about 7. Confused
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 10:51 pm    

All of My family were good singers
There was no lock on the toilet door Smile
I guess that do'nt count so I did'nt cast a vote
Billy
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 1:53 am    

Both of my grandmothers played piano and one was the church pianist/organist for 50+ years. Mom still has grandma's organ. One grandfather played a pretty good harmonica. I think I'm the only active musician in the family, although there seems to be lot of music "appreciation".
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 2:23 am     hi

Our family worked the other way. My wife Nan played steel as I do.
Our kids, Linda plays several instruments, son Ernie played trombone, Becky plays a pro clarinet in church.
Now the grandkids,Jason trobone
Benji Drums, guitar, fidle and is good on them all
Ernise wife plays keyboard for gospel groups and in church.
Jone she was a model does that count.
Lind,s kids
Keith plays sax and is good, plays in church church
Wade plays trumpet in church
Kurtis plays guitar and drums
Vanessa played bass clarinet and had 2 scholorships for colledge, she was very good won top honors at contest in high school. Was killed in car accident at 20.The most hurtfull thing in my life, we miss her so much.
We could have an real band if we could gather them all in one place. So you see we are a backward family the kids would have to answer your poll.
Of course we backed them all and encouraged them with their music, I think music opens doors, and as we all know from shows and jams creates great fellowship and a family attmosphere.

ernie
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 4:38 am    

No, I'm the only one who plays music. The rest of my family is normal.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 5:47 am    

My dad was a real good old time fiddler. His hero was the late Tommy Jackson and he could rip it like Tommy. However he always chose music as a fun thing for him, never considered it for his livelihood.

He could also play the guitar, harmonica and sing. One of my first recollections of him was playing the fiddle or guitar for me and singing some of those old time folk or hill songs like "She'll be coming around the Mountain," etc.

I was delighted and fascinated when he would play songs on his fiddle like "The Cacklin' Hen," "Orange Blossom Special," "Flop Eared Mule," "Listen to The Mocking Bird," etc. He could make all those cool bird sounds, mule braying sounds, train sounds, etc. I remember hearing all of that before I ever started to school. No doubt it all influenced me.

My dad, would sit and play or practice his fiddle in the dark. He often did this on the front porch swing at our old farm house. He could also play beautiful waltzes which were really his favorite.

When asked the difference between a violin and a fiddle. He would grin and say you carry a violin in a case and a fiddle you carry in a toe-sack. Very Happy That's what country people referred to for a feed sack that farm animal grains came in.

I miss him and his music even though he's been gone for over 30 years now. Lost my mom just a few days ago and this topic encouraged me to reflect on a happier time in my life. Thanks!

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 5:54 am    

My grandmother played piano in a church. Other than that, nothing.

Our family motto: "Help, I'm white and I can't get down" Whoa!

Dennis
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 5:56 am    

My mother sang, played piano, and knew a few guitar chords. But her main talent was dancing. In her youth she danced professionally in a dance troupe in New York City.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:07 am     parents were musicians poll

No. My mom and dad sang in the Catholic church in Dayton, Ohio where I grew up. One sister sang in a chorale eventually ending up in a hootanany group and getting a guitar which I picked up. The second house we lived in came with a piano that I liked to bang around on. Serious interest in playing music was not encouraged. I think this was fairly common among parents of this generation. The fear that a child would take this too seriously. I did watch the "Midwestern Hayride" when no one was around and started delving into Bluegrass much to their horror. God love'em. Don D.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:09 am    

Jim, My Dad played piano and had a band in the 30'S, 40'S and early 50'S. His guitar player was Mel Bay, can you beleive it? Mel was at the house alot and even though I messed with the guitar since I was five years old, I started taking lessons from Mel about thirteen years old. Later we played jobs around town. My Mother came from a family of singers and dancers. I got to listen to all kinds of music while growing up. I think that helped broaden my musical tastes. Jim, Thanks for the post. Hope to see you at the ISGC in St. Louis, your old home town. My best, Bobby BTW Mel also played non pedal steel guitar and many other stringed insruments as well.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:22 am    

On my moms side of the family you either paint cars or play music or both. I never cared for wet sanding so here I am. On my Dad's side of the family my grandmother is a cousin to Lawrence Welk and all her sibs played something. (Some for Mr Welk)
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:25 am    

My dad played the jukebox and my mom played the record player; but it was all country and all good!!!!!!!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jim Harper

Comanche, Oklahoma, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:28 am    

Jimbo, my Dad had 6 brother,s and 4 sister,s. They all played,all the men played fiddle-mandolin-guitar and all of the ladies played piano and 2 played guitar also. When we had family reunion,s we would have music all the time. It was a way of life for us. I started playing chord,s on the piano when i was 5 year,s old. Good topic==Jim Harper
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 6:56 am    

Pretty interesting so far. 55 votes and so far no one has had a parent who played steel. I know they're out there, though.

Thanks for all your stories, folks. Bobby Caldwell, your story explains a lot of things about your extreme talent. Yes, I'll see you at ISGC for sure.

Cheers,
J'beaux
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 7:03 am    

Both. My mom taught Hawaiian steel and Spanish guitar in '43 and my dad was one of her steel students. Not sure who was teaching who but they got married in 44. Both played steel and bass very well and some guitar. Mom actually started me out when I was age 10 with her old student books and her square neck box guitar with a raised nut. In 53, dad bought a new Fender D6 and Fender P bass so I was able to get onto bass and the Jerry Byrd(C6) tuning pretty early. I know three chords on guitar, but I don't remember which ones they are.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 7:07 am    

I had a Great Uncle from Ville Platte, LA and he played the accordian, and I had a couple Great Uncles from the Thibodaux, LA area that played music, one played bass, but I dont know what the other one played.

Brandon

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 8:15 am     Poll on musical background

My mother played a little piano for her own amusement.I have no musical background up till 4years ago when i took up the steel.My daughter however seems to be able to get a tune out of whatever she picks up.Lucky or what!.
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 8:49 am    

My dad played sax and clarinet, my sister played piano and was the church choir leader and musical arranger. My brother's young daughters are keeping it going. Both learning violin and piano.

Arch.

Post  Posted 28 May 2008 9:07 am    

Nobody in my family was musical at all except for myself. My great grandmother in Holland was a concert violinist until she got married but that's as far as it goes. My Mom was a talented painter and sculptor and my brother played the piano briefly but gave it up. I got interested in the guitar at the age of nine after hearing the Beatles, and have been playing music ever since.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 9:14 am    

Neither of my parents were musicians. However, I had an uncle, on my mother's side, that was a Sax player in the Guy Lombardo band. I have a brother that excelled on Trumpet and was offered a job with a "big band" (I think based in Harrisburg) but he turned it down.