| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Az Steel Jam - Nice goin Billy and Ray
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 3:36 pm    

Thanks Billy and Ray & Mrs. Billy and Ray and anyone else who put together the outing. They even had biscuits and gravy. There's some good pickers in AZ.Different styles and techniques but everybody sounded good.I think there was only one Mullen there, and it sure did sound nice. Who was the younger guy with the Franklin? He was pretty good. Had a great time. Will Houston Is Mike Smith from AZ? He was really good. It was neat to see faces to go with the names you always see here on the forum.

[This message was edited by Will Houston on 28 September 2002 at 07:53 PM.]

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 6:33 pm    

If I hadn't been down with this head cold, another Mullen would've there, Gary.
Mullen D-11 9&8
76 Emmons P/P 8&6
Session 2000 PX300 RC2000
Session 500
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 7:40 pm    

Hello Everyone;
Hap & i just got in from the jam in Apache Junction..We had a GREAT time & want to thank everyone for their gracious hospitality!!..Everyone was so nice to us & we enjoyed meeting all of you guys & gals..
A special thanks to Billy & his "current" wife & also to Ray & his wife...
Thanks Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Whitworth on 28 September 2002 at 08:40 PM.]

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 8:51 pm    

I attended todays AZ Jam. Had a great time met some good folks and got to hear some really fine steel players.
Mike Smith put on a show with his drummer that was excellent.
Kudos to everyone involved, from the organizers to the players, some really fine folks....yes even the guys from Yuma!!
Jack
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 9:50 pm    

One of the great things about these get togethers is that it can be a family oriented event. I haven't met very many steelers in AZ but the one we have grown to love is Billy Easton. Not only is he a great player but he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. We had the pleasure of meeting his sweet wife Meriul in May and the circle was complete. They are a wonderful match that compliment each other. That speaks of great character for both of them. Sorry I missed it for that alone. I forgot to mention that my "current" steel is a Mullen. My "noncurrent" was an MSA. My dictionary states, "noncurrent" as "History" and "current" as "The only thing that matters"

[This message was edited by Gary Walker on 28 September 2002 at 10:52 PM.]

[This message was edited by Gary Walker on 28 September 2002 at 11:34 PM.]

[This message was edited by Gary Walker on 29 September 2002 at 12:24 PM.]

Danny Stinnett

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 6:21 am    

I also want to thank those involved in putting on the jam. I had a good time...hope we can do it again!!

BTW...I was the "kid with the Franklin"!

Danny
Bob I. Williams

Sun City West, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 10:46 am    

enjoyed everyones pickin and meeting and seeing old friends and new. My hat is off for the cook. biscuits and Gravy gets a yes vote. could'nt join in on the pickin as I had a gig north of Phoenix,Maybe next time. BOB
Hap Young

Yuma, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 12:01 pm    

My thanks to Ray and all who helped to put on the jam. I'm with Ron, Us boys from Yuma had a GREAT time. Thanks also to La Rue and her husband for the use of thier amp. ( Arent steel players GREAT? )Also Im glad to Have met all the players , Now I can put a face with the name I see on the forum. I really enjoyed it guys , lets do it again real soon.
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 7:28 pm    

Living in the city is great. In Flagstaff it was five miles out to the Mall, in the greater Phoenix area it's 71.2 miles from our home in Surprise to the big show.

And it really was a big show. Heard some fine steel playing and it was fun meeting the people who we hear from on the Forum.

Emmons must have been busy cause he didn't show. Maybe he'll make it next year.

Thanks to Ray Jenkins, Billy Easton and anyone else that spent a lot of time setting this up for us.

Looking forward to next year, Bob.
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 9:06 pm    

Thanks for all the good words, guys. What a great time we all had. Gary, you and Chrissie are such special people to us, and we missed your presence. I hope you are feeling better, and we will do this again. Thanks to all the folks who came out; I counted 13 steels set up and 3 more for sale in the corner. More players were there who didn't play, but all are welcome. Thanks to all who assisted in this event.....like Ray and Dixie Jenkins who secured the room, handled the logistics, and the food. Thanks to Troy and Peggy Porter for "roping" Big Jim Barron and his Band in the Box set up for us to use. Thanks to all the players, watchers, and other interested parties. And what can I say about Mike Smith?? What a talent!! He brought his drummer, Matt, and some tracks to work with, and showed us what a steel can do. His flawless execution defies description. He treated us to a 30 minute set of some familiar, and some original material. Mike, you are great, and we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude for sharing your talent with us. Special guest Danny Sneed, although you didn't play for us this time, it was great to have you there as well. What a great friend, and we are counting on your playing for us next time.
To everyone: what a great turnout we had. Folks not only from Arizona, but California as well. We are going to do this again, probably after the first of the year, before the Dallas Texas Jamboree in March. I will post it in plenty of time for all of you to make your plans. Let's make this thing grow!!
The fellowship was something that cannot be expressed in words. I can't get enough of the steel playing and the good times, and the feeling of love and admiration that abounded. God Bless all of us!!

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2002 10:20 pm    

Had a great time meeting new friends and playing a set with drummer Matt Goodman http://www.youngcountryband.com. Thanks to Ray, Billy and Troy for hosting the event.
Yes, I live in Phoenix now (about 3 years)and love it. For those interested, there is more info available at http://www.gatlinbros.com/mike_smith_mainpage.htm and at http://www.mikeandt.com There is info about my new CD (which I did a few tunes from at the event. Hope to see you all again soon.

Thanks,

Mike

[This message was edited by Miguel e Smith on 30 September 2002 at 11:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Miguel e Smith on 30 September 2002 at 11:22 PM.]