| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lowering 5-10
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 12:59 pm    

howdy, i have a vertical knee on my LDG, i changed it from raises to lowering my 5-10, the snag is, it still raises 5-10, even though its in the lower changers, the lowers move but so does the raises, and it raises instead of lowering, ? whats the answer, lew.
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 2:56 pm    

Don't know much about 'Bud's, but some guitars have raise helper springs installed. You might need to remove the ones on the strings you're wanting to lower. This was the case on another brand guitar I'm currently working on.

I'm sure more 'sperienced Sho-Bud folks will reply shortly.
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 12:01 am    

howdy, all the other lowers are on the same system, no probs, still lookin for a solution, lew
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 1:46 am    

howdy, i removed the springs as suggested, works fine, many thanks, jerry, lew.
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 2:17 am    

howdy, maybe i jumped in a bit to quick, 5-10, now lower but only half tone, if i try and get the extra on the travel to get it to lower the other half tone, on the lever it goes back to B, a bit confused, ? lew.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 4:03 am    

Sorry I'm not more help, but do I understand that you have already backed off the stop on the lever? Generally, the condition you describe is caused by lack of travel.

I guess you need to make sure there is not a changer problem. If you can reach under the guitar and lower that/those fingers to the whole note change you want, then the problem lies within a lack of travel somewhere in the linkage.

Provided you have enough travel, you need to back off the pedal tuner so that it is not affecting the open keyed note.

Perhaps Ricky Davis or other SB mechanic will see this and offer more specific remedies. Good Luck Exclamation
Jimmy Walls

Phoenix , Arizona
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 4:41 am    

Chuck Back manufactures the Desert Rose PSG As I understand it his company has the inventory left from sho-bud. So the DR psg, if I may be so bold, is similar enough to where contacting him would be of great help. You can use the "search" to get his E-mail address.
Jim

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 6:45 am     5 & 10 Lowering Problem

Lew...Is this a double or tripple / double lower changer? If it is, it will not do a full tone lower in its original state. Whoa! Coop
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 6:52 am    

howdy, i get full travel on the pull, but it gets to a certain point where it activates the raise, if i hold the raise back with a screw driver, to stop it moving when i operate the lower its ok, but the raise wont stay put at its rest positin, it helped by taking the helper spring of, but it needs some thing to keep it in its rest position, till the actual raise is required,? lew.
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 6:56 am    

howdy, hello john, its a double raise, double lower, thanks for the parts, for my bud, lew.
John Coop

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 7:08 am     5 & 10

Lew...your lower bar is "bottoming" out. At that point, it starts to raise. I have tried to upload a pic but can't for some reason. Coop
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 10:33 am    

howdy, just looked in one of my magazines, STEEL, GUITARIST, no, 5, may, 1980, inside, WINNIE WINSTONS, PEDAL, STEEL, WORKSHOP, LO AND BEHOLD, correcting lowering problems,on sho-buds, must be an act of god, thanks for all your help, lew.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 3:34 pm    

Well, there you go! Glad you got your problem solved. Onward and upward. Keep pickin' sweet music on the steel guitar Smile Exclamation