| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standel Amp 25L15 on Ebay
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 2:11 pm    

Item #230253081846 is a standel amp 25L15 from 1954.
I don't understand the bidding process on this item.
Maybe someone can explain?
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 3:42 pm    

That item # doesn't bring back any results.

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 3:43 pm    

That item # doesn't bring back any results.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 3:51 pm    

I could've posted a screen shot of the auction-------had it right here but I refreshed and it was gone.....there was something odd about it and it's gone now so I guess easy come.....
Bruce Atkinson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 5:22 pm    

I looked up in the "completed auctions" (check-box on left of screen after doing a search) for Standel and found what I think you were seeing.

It looks like the auction was ended by the seller for whatever reason...maybe he got a private offer, or changed his mind. A seller can cancel an auction if no bids have been received. Perhaps it will be relisted at a different price.

By the way, it appears it was a -reproduction- of a Standel 25L15, not an original.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 8:22 am    

Well considering that an original one went in early april for $12,776.00, there will be a lot of funny business surrounding these at the bay.......

Standel auction link

Last edited by mike nolan on 16 May 2008 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 9:49 am    

Is this the item? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230253131837

Could be that the earlier listing didn't make sufficiently clear that this is a copy, and not a real Standel. Here's the builder's website - http://invictainstruments.com/

It is an odd listing. It seems that you're not bidding on a specific amp, but a contract for him to build an amp -
Quote:
I will custom build this amp any way you want - with 807 tubes, with a tuck and roll dead on correct cabinet, with a plexi lighted faceplate, with the hide-a-jack in the original location. As is, the amp is all about capturing the tone and circuitry of the originals, not the look. Each amp is custom made, to order.

That's a new one to me. But I'm such an ebay fan. Evil Twisted
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 11:12 am    

No---different auction. The one originally mentioned seemed to be saying that it was from a bulk lot from the original run of amps--like 79 amps in all? I don't recall exactly. Built by Bob Crooks. I think the seller said that it was the last one he had from the original order.
Now, nothing in this world is impossible. Except this. I mean, like, holy grailsville, batman.

I recall many years ago Guitar Player Magazine had an article about some guy who went down to Mexico and found a music store that had a store room full of boxed up NOS Teles, Strats black face amps selling for their original 50's & 60's prices.. Turns out it was the April Fool's issue.
Although there didn't seem to be any humor involved in the Ebay offering, all I know is there it was, there it ain't.
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 11:55 am     standel amp

Dave, that is not the one. This ebay auction was for 24 hours. Showed a green standel from 1954. looked to be original. Funny he was not taking bids like a normal ebay auction. you had to email this person and then put in a bid . wished I would have written down the email address. Oh well it dissapeared just as quick as it showed up.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 12:44 pm    

This is the Long Beach, CA Standel that was sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for 12-14,000.

Perhaps the So. Cal buyer, DD, moved East and decided to sell it fast? Or maybe someone just stole a heated ebay auction and tried to scam?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 12:54 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:

Or maybe someone just stole a heated ebay auction and tried to scam?

There'd be my guess. Does my description above fit the auction you mention, re: the 'last of the lot'?
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 2:22 pm    

I was joking. The ad absolutely was a stolen ebay photo and description.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 2:22 pm    

Check the link on my post above.....
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 2:40 pm    

Ooops---sorry 'bout that, Mike---yep, that's the one. Same amp, same copy. The deleted auction was from Pa.

Like Jack says, the stipulation was that you had to contact the 'seller' first before bidding or else he would wipe out your bid. Can't say I understand that part of the scam. Not that it matters.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 12:25 am    

I don't know what's the deal with the amp/scam? you guys are talking about, but that green, mint condition Don Snow amp was not a scam and it was bought(won) by a friend of mine. A day later he was offered a couple of thousand $'s more for it, so I guess it was worth every penny. And I can assure you that it went to a person who knows exactly what it is and I guarantee also that no one appreciates it more. As for the amp, it's indeed somewhat of a holy grail; totally original, mint condition, fantastic sounding amp, and rare as a hen's teeth. I doubt you'll ever come across another Standel 25L15 in a condition like that.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 1:57 am    

No one is saying that the original auction was a scam. If I could have justified the expense, I would have paid more than the 16 grand.

We are talking about an auction that appeared a couple of days ago that had the same pictures and copy as the real one.... this second auction, which disappeared in a few hours, was an obvious scam using the hijacked pictures and text from the original. Invariably, when something sells for this kind of money, the scams follow.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 17 May 2008 6:25 am    

Man, over 12,000.00 for an amp????

Sweet mother of God....................
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 9:42 am    

mike nolan wrote:
No one is saying that the original auction was a scam. If I could have justified the expense, I would have paid more than the 16 grand.

We are talking about an auction that appeared a couple of days ago that had the same pictures and copy as the real one.... this second auction, which disappeared in a few hours, was an obvious scam using the hijacked pictures and text from the original. Invariably, when something sells for this kind of money, the scams follow.

Yeah, I know. It's just that I wasn't able to find a link to that scam auction, and I assume few other's could either. Just wanted to clear things out with the original bid. I've known about this particular amp for about three years now and always wondered how much it would draw if Don would ebay it. Well, now I know Smile
Bruce Atkinson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 10:31 am    

It appears that the 'original' auction indicated here was actually a rip-off artist trying to scam somebody.

FWIW, ebay does a fair job of policing rip-off artists and when found, will delete not only their auctions but their IDs as well. I got gyped by one a couple years ago and his ID disappeared before I could leave negative feedback.

Perhaps the scammer tried to get a new Ebay ID and somehow ebay detected it and deleted them quickly. Sometimes the idiots use the same credit card number for their 'new' account and ebay catches them that way.

Either way, good riddance to the crooks!