| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shows without stars?
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 10:42 am    

I realise that this a blasphemous thought, and it is not to imply that I don't enjoy hearing the "Greats" at the shows and conventions, but I would like to hear some of the "Unknown" players too. I know what
the stars sound like, and I can hear them
anytime I'm willing to buy their record. Some of those other guys can knock your hat in the creek. I think there is a posibility
that maybe some of the best players may not
have been heard of yet. Question is,,Would you still go to an event if fewer or maybe none of the stars were booked there?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 12:13 pm    

We'll soon see! Boo Miller is planning just such a show in November in the Baltimore/Washington D.C area.
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 7:26 pm    

Donny, I expected to be stomped into the ground, for just thinking such a thought. Evidently there isn't much interest either way.
Jim
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 8:07 pm    

Jim, I think that would be a great idea where "no-stars" played. The only thing is though, "most" people would want to go and see the stars.

I myself go and see anyone who purports to be a steel player, as the other - lesser guys - if you will, have a lot more to offer regarding newer aproaches not nessesarily copying everything that the other guys do or did on any particular recording in the past.

A newer, tastefull aproach to an already up and running number or song in my estimation is well worth going and listening to than cliche'ed one after the other "just like the record" type sounds.

I get a kick out of a steel player who throws out the window sounds that people say should be there, and disregards all the recognizable licks and places. A nice few runs to upset what's been usualy accepted.

Another thing that I would think the listening public would like is to twin or triple certain runs with lead guitar and fiddle more so in normaly played runs, this for my mind shows a tight concentrated effort on the bands behalf........that's why I'm going in the first place.......not the singer.....sorry.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 2:49 am    

I like watching the stars sometimes as well, however I like watching the progression a steel player takes from start to whenever. While Boo Miller may not be a "star" in the eyes of some it would only be those who have never heard him play or who may know him personally. Boo plays with a style and grace only he can play and can flat burn up the strings if ya want a little zip in a song. I plan on being at his jam as will some of the other players from down my way. The fact of the matter is that the unknown steel players are out there and I have listened to many who just simply put are really great players. Boo just happens to be right at the top :')

Ray
Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 4:39 am    

The first ever Rose City Steel Guitar Assn. Convention in Tyler, Texas on the projected date of Jan 31st., Feb 1st and 2nd. 2003 will feature several "NOT IN THE LIMELIGHT" players. These are very talented players that either have not been promoted or fate to get with some great singer has not fallen on them. Each day will feature a jam session that will allow unrecognized players to be a part of out show. This may be the chance they need to be heard.

One thing for sure, Jim Cohen has a place on our show at any place he wants. If you haven't heard him play and experienced his new CD "Finally Here". man, you are missing a great treat.

If you are a player and want to be a part of what we are doing here in Tyler, Texas, just shoot me an email and we will talk about it.
Add your phone number and l will call personally.

This is not to say that we won't have great players there also. Bobbe Seymour, Herb Remington, Herby Wallace, Bob Mc Cormick are just among those that are already tenative committed. (committed not relating to their mental state) I would think that most steel players fall in that category

Charles Tilley
Rose City SGA

[This message was edited by Charles Tilley on 25 September 2002 at 05:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by Charles Tilley on 25 September 2002 at 05:46 AM.]

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 5:14 am    

To Bob Mainwaring: Your post is interesting and reflects many reasons why I released my album last January (The Doctor of Steel). I totally avoided the word "Jazz" in the description of my CD because it has taken on many vague meanings--and sometimes no meaning at all. I prefer that my style be labeled Modern Progressive. I've had eMails from the four corners of the earth: a stack about 2 inches tall that showsappreciation and praise for my "something new style." The mere 16 entries on my Review Page show what some of the top recording--jazz artists think of my style. As for singing, I have no vocals in my CD collection except things like the greats--Manhattan Transfer, Four Freshmen, The Hi-Los, Jackie & Joey, etc. Like you, I will welcome change and it will surely take place, for after all, music is an evolutionary process. Best, Hugh www.steelguitarbyhughjeffreys.com