| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So many guitars, how can I choose?
Jordan Sayers

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 8:19 am    

I've been looking in the "for sale" section for a few months and am rather intimidated by the vast number of makers and models. The more I look up info on all these different models the more difficultly I face in choosing which would be best for my needs. I don't want a low-end instrument but I don't even know which one's are considered "begginer" and which are seen as "quality". I only buy instruments that will keep my happy for a lifetime and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What I want is a nice 6-string electric steel guitar to play mostly Hawaiian music. I've been playing guitar for about 17 years and lap-style for almost two years (lowbass G and open D tuning with occasional ventures into C6, but not often since I have to change the strings for C6).

I've looked into the archives here but the more I search the more of a headache I seem to get because there's a vast amount info available. Any suggestions as to the minimum price for a good quality instrument? Money is not an issue but I don't want to buy one with "extras" I don't need. Looks don't matter (no need for flashy paint jobs). I'm all about the sound! Thanks.
Jordan Sayers

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 9:12 am    

I was looking at some shops as well the "for sale" section and was thinking this might be a good one? A Rickenbacker Electro T-Logo 1946 model, pristine condition and easily within my budget:
http://www.steelguitar.net/np4.html
I really don't know much about electric steels, so any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 9:23 am     Knobs aren't original, forget it!

Very Happy
Nice find, Jordan. You won't be sorry.

Just be aware that all Bakelites do not sound alike.
I have an 8 str. version of what you found, and it sounded great, but recently, the original T/V assembly was replaced with an older, but totally complete/original set and now it's even better. Kinda in-between a late 40s (like your's) and an older silver plate.
Felix Blevins

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 9:53 am    

The bakelite Rickenbacker guitars are great if you don't mind the heavier weight of the guitar.
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 10:59 am    

The T-Logo looks great, Jordan, and probably sounds terrific as well-- read this first, though:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=115179

The Ricky Model 59s (stamped steel instead of bakelite) on the other hand, are very under-rated guitars. I have one...no temperature/tuning issues, plays and sounds great, with a full mellow tone that's a nice match for Hawaiian tunes. Also,these can be had for a grand less than the one you're considering.
Jordan Sayers

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 2:46 pm    

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm more confused than ever! Shocked

If I can find a great sounding 6-string for less money that would be even better. I've done some research moments ago on the bakelite models and I'm a bit nervous about them since reading how a couple folks had them break in half.

I'm going to post in the "wanted" section and see what comes up. If anybody reading this can recommend a great sounding 6-string for C6 and lowbass G I would highly appreciate it. Cost isn't really an issue, I just want a great sounding one that isn't a "student" model; I'd like something I can take to gigs right off the bat.
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 3:38 pm    

You can't lose with either a Fender or Rickenbacker, there seem to be quite a few out there for reasonable prices still.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 4:08 pm    

Just to add to the confusion , Wink, if I didn't build my own, besides vintage, I'd look into some of the modern guitars from the likes of Lap King, Cruztone, Asher, etc, all great pro level instruments.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 6:22 pm    

I have two bakelite 7 strings, an early Ric frypan 7 string, a Fender Dual Pro, and others, including a 7 string Vega.
I guess I'm really a bakelite guy, which is all I've ever used on stage at conventions. They are the ones I always feel best on. Buying a bakelite would be an investment, as well as a great instrument, that will likely hold and increase it's value.
My opinion is that a vintage lap type steel will still be worth something in the furure, as opposed to most (not all) of the new stuff out there.
Like, I would rather have an old Magnatone or Supro than the new stuff on Ebay, for example.
I like my Vega very much, and there is one on Ebay right now!!
Very Happy
JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 8:22 am     Bakelite 6

Jordan if the price is right for you, buy it. I have the same model that I bought 40 years ago and I still love that steel guitar. Sound is excellent. It is a bit heavy, just don't drop it although mine fell of the stage but luckily no damage.
True that you may have to retune pending temperature changes.
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 9:40 am    

Jordon,

The best thing to do is to head on down to the next Aloha International Steel Convention on July 17-19th in Winchester, Indiana; or the HSGA convention in Joliet, Illinois in October.

There, you'll get the opertunity hear many different brands of steels and take in the good Hawaiian music at the same time. Most members would be kind enough to let you try their instrument so you could get a feel of it.

Also, at both conventions, they have a table where members sell steel guitars, and I've seen some good deals come by.

This years guests for Winchester will be Hawaii's Paul Kim and Eddie Palama - and Hawaii's Steve Cheney at Joliet.
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 9:50 am    

Stephan Miller wrote:
The T-Logo looks great, Jordan, and probably sounds terrific as well-- read this first, though:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=115179

The Ricky Model 59s (stamped steel instead of bakelite) on the other hand, are very under-rated guitars. I have one...no temperature/tuning issues, plays and sounds great, with a full mellow tone that's a nice match for Hawaiian tunes. Also,these can be had for a grand less than the one you're considering.

plus one on Model 59s. I was lucky enought to find one. the tone turns heads in the crowd. so well balanced.