| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Let's take a vote
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 1:59 pm    

Well with the ISGC over, I've heard many good comments about the internet broadcast and a few gripes.

Since we all know that there is absolutely no way to mix a live show of this caliber without errors, here's my question.

Would you rather have access to an internet broadcast equal to what we did, or would you rather NOT have an internet broadcast AT ALL.

Now, don't be afraid to answer, because it may determine whether I am involved next year.

Bill

------------------
http://www.steelpicker.com/pictures/Carter-Peavey.jpg

Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 2:21 pm    

Bill,

I can't express how much I appreciate having been able to access this via the internet!! I have a cable modem, so connectivity was not a problem for me. I would say I listened to over half of the show and absolutely loved every minute of it... Had it not been for some previous responsibilities I would have listened to it all. I think what you were able to accomplish given the circumstances was nothing short of miraculous!

Thank you sooo much for the effort put forth by you and your team!

For what it's worth I would be willing to make a contribution for a service such as this.

Respectfully,

------------------

Dave Burr
Remington Sustainmaster SD-10 3x4

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 2:34 pm    

count me in i loved it
thanks
wayne
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 2:51 pm    

Bill;

This year I attended, so it didn't really matter to me "this year".

However, when I couldn't be there it was a fantastic thing. Just put on headphones, close your eyes and imagine that you're there.

The only downside I can see is my still having a dial-up connection. It would drop out from time to time. Although, Charter did just add high speed internet to my area, so we'll have to see about that, too.

All in all I think it's something that should be done. Not everybody can get there in person.

Thanks for taking the time to do it in the first place!!

That's my two cents...

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 3:18 pm    

Bill, I appreciated more than I can tell you being able to listen on the net. I have cable connection and the quality of the sound was excellent. I had a hard time getting set up when I came in from playing Friday night and by the time I downloaded server that would pick it up I got the very last note of Jerry Brightman's set which I very much had looked forward to hearing. That was my only disappointment. Please do it for us next year. If need be, I would send money.
Thank you so very much for the job you did.
Jerry Roller
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 3:25 pm    

I never plan to listen to it because I always plan to be there. Knowing that that won't always be possible I vote to keep it going. I know it will only get better.

I told Michael Scott what a great idea it was and how great it was that those not in attendance could listen in.

Major KUDOS!

------------------
HagFan

Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 3:58 pm    

Bill please keep it coming!!! I had to leave late saturday due to an illness so I listened to it Sunday & got to hear what I had paid for & missed. Being a sound man & a Bass player in countless bands you can only do the best job you can do. I thought it was great, for a live performance . So please keep up the good work

ps. without it I would of never heard Smileys' version of green onions & I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

------------------
JIM
"Carter SD10" "73" MSA S10, "74" LTD & NASHVILLE 400, Profex II "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz

[This message was edited by Jim Whitaker on 04 September 2002 at 07:57 PM.]

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 4:19 pm    

Thank you for those that have responded so quickly.
Please know that I would NEVER take money for what I do. I do not want it to become a job.

I play steel guitar (sortof) and I love it. Yep it makes me some $$.

I have a sound company and I love it. It also makes me some $$.

I have the equipment and the right people to help provide a service to the steel guitar world at the ISGC. I just love it to, but not for $$.

Bill
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 4:51 pm    

I didn't find out that it was on the internet until Saturday Night, and then, it was too late to listen to anything. I had to get up and go to play in church the next morning.

My point is this:

This is a great idea. It's a great use of technology, and I think, from what I've heard, the buffering was great! I do have one suggestion. Maybe we can promote it better. I mean, hey, this is too good to not let people know about what they're missing. Maybe I'm thinking unrealistic here, but, If scotty put out a sheet on the internet which you could print a copy, and go make 100 copies at at kinkos, everyone could help out with the advertising about the internet broadcast. If anyone is worried about the future of this instrument like I am, they would do the same. I usually don't have good ideas, due to my unrealistic thinking, but, hey, why not give it a try? I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I think it's a great idea, but it was too little too late for me.

Mr. Ferguson, I do respect you very much for caring so much to put in the time and put together a broadcast that apparently was very successful. Ya da Man!
Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 5:52 pm    

I could only attend Fri. nite so I was happy to be able to listen from home Sat. nite.
Problem came late Sat. nite when my applet reported that the server was too busy.
Never could get it back...
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 6:10 pm    

Bill,
I already voiced my kudos in a post yesterday. I also have a cacle modem..so my audio was studio perfect. Almost like being there..now if had also been televised with something such as a vidiocam..wow..but maybe there is something about live vidio copyrights....or something.. But I suport you're efforst compleatly. I'm just amazed at the lack of ovewhelming suport. Come on formites!!!cast your positive votes for Bill's excelent service and I might add Bob's Service of providing this forum.
Grouchyvet
Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 6:25 pm    

Bill, if you consider the numbers that we kept hearing, over 500,000 connects then the few complaints are not even a blip on the radar scope. My vote is KEEP IT COMING I was very grateful to get the chance to listen to the show. Also consider this, if you don't continue then those that have complained will not be able to listen to anything to complain about. So you see, you have provided a very valuable service to all. If the heat gets too much let me know, as a retired firefighter maybe I can round up a set of turnout gear. That will take care of the heat and those little fires don't burn very long anyway. My hat is off to you and your crew for a good job and my only chance to know and hear what was going on.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 6:34 pm    

Bill-I thought it was great considering the Mammouth job you had to do. A lot of it came in clear as a bell and I really enjoyed. I can't make it down to St.Louis anymore, so I really appreciated it. Thanks.....al
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 7:03 pm    

Bill,
I vote yes. I don't know what if anything can be done about the drop outs or time delays but in my opinion that was the only thing wrong. A few of the interviews were placed badly but the quality of sound and mix were very acceptable from here. Thanks for your effort.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 7:35 pm    

Bill,
I have voiced my thanks and support in a previous post to Tim Wallis...but I will take this opportunity to tell you personally you have my complete support and my deepest appreciation for your time,talents,and your expertise and use of your equipment to bring to all who could and would listen ,the radio broadcast...
I would rather have a broadcast that,at times may be not the best,but at least it was something to listen to...than NOT have any broadcast at all...
I can not understand attitudes that say 'if it isn't toe sucking good' they don't want to have it...or won't listen...
I wish these complainers would rethink their bitches and understand the huge amount of work that was done to help deliver the braodcast to them...and give them some music to listen to, they would otherwise have missed out on completely...
...Thanks again to you and your crew,Tim and his crew,and to Scotty and Mike Scott for their efforts...
With over 500,000 listeners,somebody liked it...plus it had so many hits one night,it jammed the server and you could not get on...plus over 55 countries ,verified,that was on line listening...

RP 'come on in'...

[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 04 September 2002 at 08:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 04 September 2002 at 08:39 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 8:21 pm    

I think the ISGC broadcast is great as well. I was at the show this year, but last year spent most of the weekend glued to my computer.

Others and I have asked some questions that still have not been addressed. Maybe these could be taken as suggestions for future broadcasts.

1) Why was it necessary to create your own broadcast mix instead of just using the mix from the main PA?

2) Why was it not possible to tape the interviews and play them during the breaks between performances?

Using the main PA mix would free up at least one of the crew members to handle taping of the interviews for broadcast during the dead spots while players are switching out.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 9:27 pm    

Hi Bill,
Having spoken with you before, I know you are a thinker, and "continuous improvement" is what you're about.
So no matter what you are involved in, I know "more of the same" is simply out of the question.

You're already making plans on how it will be better next year, aren't you!

Lay it on us!

Your Friend,
Pete Burak

ps
Maybe you can testfire the next Rev at the Chattanooga Show!
(Can you link in the live video of the players hands?!)

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 3:49 am    

Keep up the broadcast, it is the only connection 500,000 people had to this great event who could not attend. Great job, we love it.

Larry Behm
Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 4:02 am    

I didn't even know it was happening on the net.

Maybe my heard is stuck in the sand, but l would have been real happy to have listened since l could not be there.

How do l find out how things like this are happening?????

Charles Tilley
Bullard, Texas
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 5:34 am    

BTW, When is the Re-Broadcast?!
(For us folks who need 2nd dose )
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 9:13 am    

i appreciated the broadcast.
Unfortunatly, i have a 56k modem; and either it buffered a lot or the server was Full Up
i'm in for a rebroadcast...
Thanx again
Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 9:34 am    

Bill,
I was unable to attend this year due to my Mom,s illness so I did the next best thing...
I listened to the show on the internet.Keep it coming.!
Bill
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 9:47 am    

Keep it on the internet.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 11:07 am    

Bill,
I can´t express how glad I am to have been able to listen to at least part of the Convention thanks to internet radio and your efforts. I really feel like I witnessed a part of steel guitar history here, some performances were about the greatest playing I´ve ever heard (you know, I haven´t been at it for a very long time and here in Europe you don´t get to hear too much steel anyway). I´m still not over it yet. So, please keep it going, even though I plan to attend in person next year, it´s a great thing for those who are far away or just can´t go for various reasons. And I´d also rather put up with a few drop-outs and re-buffering than have no broadcast at all.

Sincerely, Joe H.

[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 05 September 2002 at 12:21 PM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 12:51 pm    

The broadcast is a great thing. If anyone complained about the quality of the broadcast this year then just make a list and try to make it better next year. This live streaming internet thing is new technology and I'm sure it'll only get smoother as time goes on. Bill is a very dedicated guy and it's obvious how hard he works at getting the job done. Wow, half a million people tuning in to hear steel guitar, whodathunk? With the opportunity to raise the awareness of steel guitar music and let people anywhere in the world listen to the big show live, it's just gotta continue!

Keep it up!!!

Brad Sarno
Angelfish Mastering
St. Louis, MO