| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alvino
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 6:53 pm    

Alvino- if you are on the wire tonight, I just wanted to say I enjoyed the ph. conversation this afternoon, but did not want to keep you long due to your laryngitis. I will be looking forward to your cassettes, CD's, and book. I also have a call in for your arranger, Alan Oldfield. By the way, I'm pleased to report that over a dozen University Jazz Radio stations are playing my CD now; I hear several tracks a week from WUMR 91.7, Univ. of Mfs. through my office speakers. Thanks again; your friend, Hugh
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 11:49 am    

Hugh-I hope he is going to be ok.

A lot of younger players don't know this but his chord style of playing ,led the way for all of us , and that includes Curly, Buddy, and Reece.

Fortunately he is in the Steel Guitar Hall of fame, the same as Jerry Byrd....al
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 7:34 pm    

To Al Marcus- right Al. He seems to have a problem with chronic laryngitis, but always manages to come out ok. Yes, he has laid down some beautiful chord progressions; I've listened to him since I was about 14 y/o. Best, HJ
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 9:30 pm    

There are those who don't care for Alvino Rey's steel guitar styling....I am definitely NOT one of them. I have admired this man since the mid-forties when he was in his prime with his big band. His "Rose Room" is a gem as are so many of his recordings which have now become steel guitar classics. ("Tiger Rag" ... wow!)

He inspired another great steel guitarist/big band leader, (the late) Paul Martin who played a very smooth big chord steel similar to that of Alvino.

I recall a chance meeting with Alvino at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie. He was working the gate counting patrons as they passed through the turnstile. When I saw him, I knew in an instant who he was! We had a delightful converstaion. He's a very fine gentleman, the #1 pioneer of the (pedal) steel guitar. His tone was his own...one only needed to hear a few notes to know it was the genius of Alvino Rey.

And who can forget his "I Want My Mama" talking steel guitar ? What an inovator! He is now in his nineties. My wish for this great man is for many more years with God's Blessings shining daily upon him.
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 6:43 pm    

Amen to that , George..

I used to listen to Paul Martin on the radio late night from California, and I was in Ohio.

He and Alvino and I had 3 of the Original Gibson Electra-Harps with the birdseye maple cabinet.

Pres. of Gibson, Ted McCarty told me that they only built 7 of them . That was before WW11.....al
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 9:01 pm    

Hi Al Marcus:

"He and Alvino and I had 3 of the Original Gibson Electra-Harps with the birdseye maple cabinet.

Pres. of Gibson, Ted McCarty told me that they only built 7 of them . That was before WW11....."

Were all the 1st generation Gibson Electraharps (made before World War II) set up with the birdseye maple cabinets or were their other cabinet versions available from Gibson of this pedal steel guitar?

If there was only this version and only 7 were made, does anyone know the current owners of these pedal steel guitars?

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1956),
Fender PS 210 (1971) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820 (1960)
Al's Photographs and "Photos of the Day" at http://www.alsphotographs.com

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 30 August 2002 at 10:01 PM.]

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 11:01 pm    

He was also experimenting with solid body electric spanish guitars in the mid '30s, years before Les Paul.
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2002 6:32 pm    

Hi Al Gershen- Yes, those full cabinet 6 pedal 8 string Electra-Harps, were all built BEFORE WWII, and DISCONTINUED!

They had a legal battle with Multi-Kord over the patent on the changer.

Besides Alvino Rey, Paul Martin and me, There was another owner, Howard Hawkes, who had an article in the PSGA newsletter many years ago. I sold mine to a Music teacher named Moore in Ohio. He might have been one of the original inventors.

I found a couple of pictures, but I am playing the guitar and you can see just one corner of the top with the tone and volume controls. I took the cabinet off and put it on a pipe stand. It was easier to transport that way and the people could see the pedals.

On looking back, I probably never should have sold mine, but I got a D12 MSA with 10 pedals and 7 knee levers in 1968 and never looked back....al

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 5:07 am    

I remember seeing one of the original pre-war Electra-Harps at the Country Music Hall of Fame when the Gibson Guitar Company exhibit was there...two or three years ago, if I recall. I don't know if the guitar was on loan or if Gibson actually owns it. Such a beautiful instrument!
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 6:42 am    

Alvino's first "console" steel guitar is on display at the Smithsonian in D.C., encased in glass. It was designed and built by Alvino and a machinist (named Mason? I think). I played around with the E Harp when it first came out, but did'nt buy one; I later bought a Multi-Kord which I still have; I never use it; it's a T-Model compared to my present axe. HJ
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 11:15 am    

Alvino took his Electra-Harp off of the beautiful cabinet and had the top installed on what looked like a Vibrophone stand with big wheels to roll around and lock nuts on the wheels. He had a big metal cover that completely covered if for shipping. Dick Morgan , his guitar player, checked the tuning before the job..ah memories...al
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 10:24 pm    

I am truly amazed with Dr. Hugh Jeffreys steel guitar dexteritry! He uses no picks, plays with all 5 fingers, and man, what a sound! Visit his site and hear it for yourself. Awesome!

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 02 September 2002 at 11:25 PM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 8:05 am    

Could you post the link, please?
Thx!
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 2:44 pm    

Thanks for the kind words George!! Pete---here goes: www.steelguitarbyhughjeffreys.com --Hugh
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 3:47 pm    

I have the Dr.'s Cd and you never heard steel guitar played like this.

Very innovative , all the way....al