| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I handled the Internet Mix
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 3:06 pm    

Well we are home and pretty darn tired. Wearing headphones for 4 days in a live room is tough.

I know that the mix we provided was not perfect and never will be in a live room, but I have listened to some of my CD's made from the mix (can you believe while traveling home), and I feel we did a fine job. I want to thank the other members of my crew, Dr. Jim Stewart and Graham Bland for their tireless help in providing you, the internet audience, with the ISGC live.

Someone had mentioned on another post, that we sometimes did not have the mix to their satisfaction. Believe me, it was not intentional to drop anyone from the mix. However, when mixing 24 channels in a live environment through headphones, mistakes will be made. Maybe some of you don't realize, that every player change, also meant a complete new mix "off the cuff".

I apologize if we missed some, but overall I feel good about what we did.

Now if you heard a complete dropout (many times) of everything, we were experiencing power loss from the hotel distrubition box. Sometimes the voltage would drop to 105v, and my mixer (as I think any mixer would) goes into compression for a second or two.

I would like to hear comments about what we did either on the forum or directly by email.
bferguson9@aol.com

thanks to Scotty for allowing me to provide this service for the convention.

Bill Ferguson
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 3:11 pm    

Bill--I listened to a total of a few hours Fri. & Sat. It was mostly quite excellent. There were some internet issues, some radio DJ issues and the aforementioned Tom Brumley issue---let's face it, we all have the occasional big clam and that set was one. Hey, it happens. No criticism intended. But congratulations on a real fine job. Sincerely.
Austin A. Preston

Haines City, Florida USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 6:37 pm    

Hey Bill,
Austin from Haines City, Florida. I met you a year and a half ago when we played the Plant City show. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the show this weekend. I've not been able to make it to St. Louis but thanks to you guys, I could close my eyes and pretend. The sound was great in spite of the many challenges you all had to deal with. My hats off to ya'll. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Emmons S12, Peavey Nashville 400, Talent: Jesus Christ
www.geocities.com/rt_hawker
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 8:27 pm    

Bill,
You abd your crew did a fantastic job as usual. I didn't get to Go to RAMsville, but sitting infront of my computer with my great speakers..was almost like being there..HAL & Buddy E were like Tony the Tiger...greeeeeaaat!!.The sound was just Fantazhia...Why don't you try to get up to the MASGA jam/show at the end of the month!!!
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 10:58 pm    

Bill,

I thought that the mix of music from the stage was great, but when they cut to an interview or something, the volume would go way up. In contrast, the patter from the stage between songs was too low.

I wonder if having a compressor/limiter somewhere in the loop would have helped. I was literally afraid to put on headphones, as I was already reaching for the volume control a lot.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 11:29 pm    

Hi Bill, you and Graham and Jim did a great job and it was great to see you all again.
Take care, your friend RED www.redkilby.com

By the way I sure am glad that Guy with Mooney, finally turned down that guitar of his it sounded horrible in his 1st set.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 3:37 am    

Thanks for the kind words.

Bob, We did have a compressor at our end, but you have to understand that after the sound left our board, it went to the radio station and they controled the volume of what you heard.
So far as the chatter between, we had a hard time hearing that, even live. The guys were not speaking into microphones most of the time and we just had to crank up a mic near them.

I guess you have to be there to get everything, but the way I see it, anything we get over the internet is a plus.

Thanks
Bill