| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian steel venue up-dates - Oahu
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2008 12:05 pm    

www.hawaiitheatre.com/event_calendar.html
The upcoming 'Lei of Stars' program again does not mention a steel guitarist, but in the past, Jeff Au Hoy has provided his touch to this excellant evening of superb Hawaiian music.

April 26th has Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawaii w/Paul Kim on steel as the headliners at the 5th annual Legends of Hawaiian Music celebration, put on bt the Enchanted Lakes Elementary school PTA, in the school's auditorium, from 5 to 9pm.
This is another of the best kept secrets today when it comes to top shelf Hawaiian entertainment. Previous shows have been all-star hoe-downs to be remembered.
Besides Eddie Kamae, steelers Ron Johnson and Eddie Palama will be there, along with Nickie Hines, Benny Chong, and many more fine performers.

The month of May has some HSGA sponsered events on Oahu at Kapiolani Park, the Waikiki library, and probably the hotel, but info is still 'iffy' at this point. Check in at www.hsga.org for the scoop.

The Pacific Marina Inn hotel's - Canoe Hut - has good old Hawaiian music w/steel on Fri/Sat nites, 10-2am. 808-836-1131 ext.?

The new Hawaii Music Supply store in Wahiawa has a little coffee room for local music in the rear of the complex. Higher Ground Coffee. The store actually sells steels, and has a qualified teacher giving lessons. The steel guitar should be seen/heard on at least a semi regular basis at this locale. 808-622-8000

More info can be found at www.hwnsge.5u.com

Last edited by Ron Whitfield on 19 Apr 2008 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2008 4:13 pm     I wish I could be there.................

Ron: THANKS for the hot new leads!
It's great of YOU to share this kind of info' with those of us here on the Forum.
It's so good to see you finally becoming so active. You're a great asset to all of us, particularly those of us that love Hawaiian Music.

PLEASE, keep up the good work!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2008 5:12 pm     Wish you wuz!

No sweat, Ray, thanx.
Things are looking up for your McArtur like return, as these new clubs look to be just the ticket for you to sit in with and enjoy the kind of music you rarely find any where these day's.
You otta hook up with that Canadian geezer, King Keoki Kam'awana'lei'u Lake and come on over together and jam with the other best players around.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2008 9:57 pm    

King Keoki Kam'awana'lei'u Lake ... who dat buggah ?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2008 12:32 am     Who da guy?

Hey King Kool, you got some new digs to check out, hurry over!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 8:09 am     Info up-date

Thanx to Wally Pfieffer, one of the great and un-heralded HSGA volunteers, here's the info you won't find anywhere else (except www.hwnsge.5u.com ) -

May 1 - Kapiolani Park 2-4pm, near the bandstand

May 3 - Waikiki Library 1-2:30, on Kapahulu Ave.

May 11 - Shorebird 2-4 in the Outrigger hotel

There may be more HSGA events schedualed - TBA
Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 10:43 am    

I was in Princeville Kauai last week. I was told there was a small group with a steel at the Hanalea bay resort( however you spell that) on Tuesday. I'm not sure if it's a weekly thing.

I was staying at a brand new resort. It wasn't even finished yet so I got a good deal and there was almost no one there. The employees were bored and would ask me what I was playing as I was sitting by the pool. They were all locals, obviously. I had brough a stringmaster to practice with while the kids were in the pool. None of the them had any idea what a steel guitar was! I expect that at home. I guess I thought that since they hear it so often they would know what it was. I guess steel isn't really part of modern Hawian life.

I was just surprised.

Thanks Ron for the email about who to look for on the islands.

Steve
Phil Sikes

Greenbank, WA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 12:29 pm    

I sure wish I had seen this before I went over the Oahu. I just got back home today to snow on the ground out on Whidbey Island, WA. Not much time for seeking out music this time but we are going back again in November for my son-in-laws retirement from the Navy and hope to be there long enough to catch some shows. Anything planned that far in advance?

Phil

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 3:21 pm    

Phil, just keep an eye on www.hwnsge.5u.com and that should keep you up to date as much as possible for when you return.

Steve, I'll check out the Hanalei Bay resort to see if the have a site up and music schedualed, and who's on steel. Thanx for that info.
On far away Kauai, it's not all that surprising that the steel would be a curiosity, because that's not what they hear all the time. They listen to what's on the radio, junk, and what steel they do hear, they don't relate to it, and rarely know that it's part of their heritage.
Sad.