| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saluda SC Convention
Buddy Walker

Johnston, SC, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 6:15 pm    

Southern Steel Guitar Convention will be 8-11-02 wirh Hal Rugg, Chuck Lettes, Herby Wallace Chuck Lettes will have seminar on 8-10-02 9am intill 1pm, Informal Jam session with tracks 1intill 7pm then jam session with band 7pm untill This makes 62nd convention. It is held in Saluda Shrine Club Saluda SC Thanks Buddy Walker

------------------
Buddy Walker
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 2:56 pm    

Hi Buddy, Me and Wash are coming down Sun if everything goes OK. See you there Skip
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 10:22 am    

I will definitely be there for this one.

------------------
John

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 7:23 pm    

Great to see John Floyd is back. heck of a picker and he knows Sound....man.

------------------
CJC

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 8:30 am    

Hello Buddy,
I'm looking forward to my visit to Saluda. I will be presenting a steel seminar on Saturday, 8/10. Part of the focus of my E9th seminar involves some techniques for creating steel guitar arrangements of traditional sheet music, using the song's melody and chord structure. I will use various tunes from country, popular music and gospel music as examples of this technique. In addition, I will also focus on some ideas that I have developed to help make practice time more productive. I will provide the music, steel guitar tablature and some CDs with rhythm tracks and instruction to help follow some of the points that we cover. Of course, you are welcome to bring your steel and amplifier/headphones since I will make time to work with some of the players individually. The cost for my seminar is $60. Please let either me (303-797-1134) or Jack Burnside (706-650-8279) know if you are going to attend. That way I will be sure to have enough Cds and music for all of the steel guitarists who participate. I am looking forward to my visit to the Southern Steel Guitar Convention.
Chuck
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 7:05 am    

Thanks for the kind words Joe, Wish you could make this one, I'm bringing an Assistant? (Jerry Hayes) with me this time to Help out with the Sound. I suspect he wants to pick more than assist me with the sound duties.

This will be a great one folks!! Don't come no better than Hal, Herby and Chuck.

The Shriners will have some Great Food there as usual.

Buddy Walker and Charles Reese are a class act when it comes to putting on a steel Show.

The Georgia Gang will be there,If the mule lives, bunch of great pickers for the staff band and some great artists too.

------------------
John

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 5:57 pm    

I'll be riding down with John Floyd and am looking forward to a great time. I've never been to one of the Saluda shows yet. I'll try to keep John awake so he gets the sound right for everyone............

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 6:28 am    

John, I got me a new mule and I will be there Saturday and Sunday for another Great weekend
Larry
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 12:22 pm    

Next page
Sam white

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 26 July 2002 at 01:33 PM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 12:26 pm    

Hi John Floyd I have not heard from you since I moved to N.C. from Vermont. I also joined the Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Assoc. and I will be at The Steel show in Mountain city Tomorrow and sunday . Are you going I'm leaving at 5:00 o clock in the morning.Good to see your name on the computer.I will more than likely make the Saluda Convention and may even go to the seminar as I have never been to a seminar and hopefully it will help me.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 26 July 2002 at 01:32 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2002 10:18 am    

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2002 11:57 am    

This Weekend.

Don't Miss this one, Always a great Show.

To the Georgia Gang, If you are car pooling again , go easy on the mule.

------------------
John

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2002 3:50 pm    

Hi John,

Regrettfully I nor Wayne Stowers will be there on Sunday. Previous engagements for both (but not together)

I know the show will be great even without my picking and MCing (Ha)

Yall have a great time and good Lord willing, we'll see you in November.

This is only 4 I have missed in 10 years.
So don't fire me Buddy.

Bill
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2002 4:26 pm    

Hey John, you mad?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2002 10:59 am    

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 09 August 2002 at 12:00 PM.]

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2002 12:23 pm    

John, where the hell you been.
Richard
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2002 4:13 am    

Bill...don't miss another one or else! If you change your mind, we'll let you sleep all the way over and back.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 9:24 am    

Richard I spoke with john the brief time he was on the net a week or so back..He will be back on soon It's been kinda boring sometimes without him. He got caught up in the Gov. cutbacks and was unemployed for a spell. But Hee'sss Baaaaaccccccck.

------------------
CJC

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 1:32 pm    

At this very moment, I guess Hal or Herby(or both) are tearing it up, and I'm getting ready to go to work. Buddy, love you and Charles, but could you please consult me about my work schedule before the next show?
Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 6:26 pm    

You all missed it!! What a treat to hear and fellowship with such great musicians. Thanks, Buddy for letting me a part of Saluda's shows. Sincerly, Bob
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 8:58 am    

Bob...It was great to see you again Sunday, and yes, for those that missed it, they missed a good one. Just to show 'em what they missed, here is the list of players:Wayne Williams,Jerry Hayes, Bob Strum, Earnet Tuttle, Larry Moore, Roger Crawford, Charles Reece, Jimmie Miller, Tommy Dodd along with his entire band "Timeless Highway", Chuck Lettes, Herby Wallace and Hal Rugg. As always, the staff band was up to the task. They are Woody Ledford & Johnnie Thomas on guitar, Wayne Smith on bass, the Hartley brothers & Jerry Reece on drums (they even let me sneak in there for a couple of players!). Rob Parker was on hand to do his usual excellent job on vocals and John Floyd had the sound great for the entire day. Chuck Lettes, all the way from Denver CO. conducted a seminar Saturday and gave us all a display Sunday as to the many styles of music that can be played on steel guitar. Once again, Herby and Hal proved why they are HOF members. Buddy...thanks for another great show. I'm already looking forward to November when Joan & Johnnie Cox will be back!

[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 12 August 2002 at 09:59 AM.]

[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 12 August 2002 at 10:26 AM.]

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 10:02 am    

I also had a great time at the Saluda Convention. I enjoyed meeting the steelers who attended my E9th seminar. I can tell that many of these musicians (Jonathan, Jack, Wayne, etc.) are all fairly advanced in their playing. The various steel guitarists in concert were especially solid. I enjoyed working with the great backup band for my set, and the jam session with Hal Rugg on Saturday was amazing. All of the steelers had good ideas and great tone, especailly Joe Turner and many of the other strong local players. I liked Hal Rugg's set, as well as Charlie Reese's smooth style. Thanks to Buddy and Charlie for putting the show together and to my hosts, Jack and Charlene Burnside. I'm looking forward to next August's concert.
Chuck
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2002 9:58 am    

To Roger and all who paid me such nice compliments this past weekend, thank you very much. Its nice to know that I was missed and I will definitely be back in november with a trailer load of sound and recording equipment. This show was great and Herbie was super, Herbie doesn't just play pretty, he plays beautiful when he gets into the slow moody type material. His show was a little different this year and for those who missed it, you missed a super event. Can't leave without saying a few words about the staff band, they are second to none, especially one of my guitar heroes, Woody Ledford. What a picker.

Just when you think Hal Rugg has peaked and can't get any better, he does.

For the regulars who missed this event and went to Fayetteville, Shame on you.

For all steelers who played the show, I will have CD's of your show for you in November.

and Thanks a million Buddy Walker

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 14 August 2002 at 10:59 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2002 10:36 am    

I'd like to thank Buddy for letting me play a set. It was a great experience and one that I won't do again until I practice a bunch. John Floyd just dropped off a copy of my set at my office and I just listened to it. Man, it was totally horrible to say the least! I was out of tune, bad tone, poor execution, etc. I'll say I played better 20 years ago when I was playing full time. I'm going right home after work today and practice for a couple of hours. Whoever said that the secret is practice, practice, practice is so right!! I haven't practiced on my steel for many years and take it out occasionally to play a gig. I now know why I haven't been gigging too much on the steel. I play 2 or three nights a week on lead guitar so I don't have to practice on that but I'm going to start anyway. For all who heard the mess, I apologize to you for the crap you heard coming out of my amp and I'll be working hard to flush any remainder of what was in it out of it.
All in all though, the weekend was wonderful and I will be back to enjoy it again. Herby was great as usual. What can you say about Hal Rugg which hasn't been said before. He's one of a kind and sounds like him and no one else. Tommy Dodd brought his whole band with him and IMHO they take a back seat to no one in the industry. There wasn't a weak link in the chain. They were well rehearsed, tight, and in tune. The bass player looked like he was 12 years old but sang and played as good as any I've heard in all my years. I especially liked their rendition of the old Orleans tune "Dance With Me". They gave it their own special touch and it really cooked.
The two staff lead guitars were nothing short of sensational. I liked the guy who played with the thumbpick though 'cause that's the way you're supposed to play. They had two drummers and both of them could really cut it. The guy who impressed me a lot also was the bass man. I forgot his name but he played dang near the whole show without a relief and nailed everything they threw at him. Yeah, it was a great show and if you haven't been to it you should make the time and get to one of these. Have a good 'un.......

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 14 August 2002 at 11:38 AM.]

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2002 9:17 pm    

Jerry,
The Bass player's name is Wayne Smith from the Atlanta area. Wayne is a Steel player best friend.
I have known him for about 35 years. I would not be afraid to try anything with him behind me.
As for the 2 Guitar players, Woody Ledford and Johnny Thomas are right own. The drumers were Roger Crawford, Jerry Reece, Jim Hardley, and Jim's brother We all have a good weekend together. Saluda is always has Great Show
Your Pal,
Larry