| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans SE-200
Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2008 4:08 am    

Question: Do all Evans SE-200s use 8 ohm speakers?
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 4:10 am     SE-200

Yes Bill, As far as I know Evans only uses 8ohm speakers in the SE-200.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 5:20 am     SE-200

Thanks, Alan.
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 11:36 am    

FWIW
I can't speak for all of them, but mine has an 8 ohm also.
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 2:56 pm    

There was another post about this awhile back. I'm not certain, but my Evans came with an 8 ohm speaker, but the amp is designed to run two 8 ohm speakers, making the amp 4 ohm? The ohm rating is not marked on the back of the amp. I'd like to know for certain too.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 3:05 am     speakers

I can answer this one for you but please feel free to call Scott over at Evans for the "official" story.

When Evans developed the new style steel amp,
(SE 200) they started experimenting with several different speakers in order to acheive the "right" or best sound.

As well known, there are very few manufactuers that offer a 4 ohm version when it comes to 15" speakers.

I talked to Scott several times concerning this issue and he and his father both made the statements that an 8 ohm speaker is still very efficient, even when driven by an amp set up for maximum output at 4 ohms. I am not an electronic wiz but I always liked having the amp matched up and running at full power. I think thats why many players switch the 8 ohm Evans / Eminence, Fane or whichever speaker was being installed at that time over to a Peavey 1501-4 BW. Not many players use an extension cabinet when using a combo amp so this way they reach the amps full output with the single 4 ohm speaker.

* Please be aware that switching an original "Evans" speaker out for something different can lead to a little cabinet modification. I have installed
different speakers in Evans FET 500's and the speaker "opening" has to be opened up slightly as it seems the original Eminence speaker frame was smaller.

The bottom line is that Evans does install all 8 ohm speakers as they are a small company and it costs alot to have a special 4 ohm speaker designed and manufactured for very limited quanities.

Eminence finally started making a 4 ohm 15" speaker for over the counter sales. Its the Commonwealth series that is a spin off of the speaker installed in the Fender Steel King. There is a real draw back to this speaker though as it weighs in at around 23 pounds and today, everyone is looking for light weight amps.

Peaveys new lighter weight neo magnet for use on a 1501-4 basket is probably going to be very popular in the future. I have been told that it saves some weight plus increase the power handling capability of a 1501.

I have one on order now to try out as I still have a couple of combo amps that could use a "weight reduction".

Hope this helps.

Ray DeVoe
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 10:48 am    

Thanks for the info Ray. I installed a Fender/Eminence speaker out of my Twin Custom 15 into my SE200 without having to modify the cabinet. Sounded big and strong, but like you said it adds about 15 pounds to the Evans.