| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First time out with the "White Knight"
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:17 am    

Took the new MSA Studio Pro to church last weekend and played it with the band, and it worked and sounded great. This guitar seems to have more sustain than any of my other guitars. I don't know if it is the longer scale, the Tonealigner pickups, or the Tribo Tone bar that is causing this, but I'm having to change my volume pedal technique slightly to smooth out the notes. Also, I changed to Truetone pickups for the second set, and although I really liked the Truetones on my Legend and Millennium, I think the Tonealigner sounds better, at least on this guitar. It will be interesting to see how the T/T, and the T/A compare on my other MSA's.

Kyle and the guys at MSA hit another home run with this guitar, and Frank Carter did a good job setting it up. And Bob Hofnar is making a real winner of a pickup.

Here's pictures in case you missed them before.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:35 am    

I have to agree about the ToneAligners. Recently I had the opportunity to A/B them with about 5 other pickups of the usual fare- and the cool thing about the MSA quick change pickups is that an instant comparison can be accomplished without the usual string changing, soldering, screwing, etc.(by the time you're done with that it is difficult to remember what the other one sounded like). To my ears the ToneAligner was the clear favorite for what I like to hear.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 9:30 am    

Darvin, do you have any trouble switching back and forth between the 24 and the 24&1/4 inch fretboards?

It seems that it would be easier to intonate on the longer fretboard. Have you found this to be true?
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 1:10 pm    

Lets hear it Darvin! Can you post something so we can hear it. It's extremely good looking!!! Greg
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 6:14 pm    

Mike, I really can't tell any difference with the longer scale, it's only 1/4" anyway, which would only be a few thousandths per fret. I have a 24 1/4" scale Fessenden also, and I've never had any problem switching to it.

Greg, I'll probably have something I can post in a week or two.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:04 pm    

Darvin, what's the other 2 effects you use on your pedalboard besides the phaser,and chorus? Very Happy
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 8:09 pm    

Darvin,White fretboards??? Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 9:11 am    

Well Stu, I didn't think about white fretboard inserts, I think Kyle was pretty tired of white anyway by the time he got through with this one. Maybe on my next one Wink

Kenny, I use a ProCo Rat for distortion, patched between the guitar and volume pedal, a EH Phase shifter, a Boss chorus ensemble and a Boss RV3 for reverb or delay or both. I usually play through an Eden bass amp which doesn't have any effects built in of course. I was doing my yearly checkout of my Session 500 when I took these pictures.
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 11:28 am     MSA

That Is a Beauty I Can only Imagine How Good It Sounds. Randy.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 12:30 pm    

gee...with a fuzz, phase shifter and chorus, it shouldn't really matter what steel you play.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 12:40 pm     Re: First time out with the "White Knight"

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
This guitar seems to have more sustain than any of my other guitars. I don't know if it is the longer scale, the Tonealigner pickups, or the Tribo Tone bar that is causing this

It might be the wood. Kyle told me that the studio pro is made from different wood with a tighter grain than the Legend. He also said it's not particularly attractive visually, which is why they paint them in opaque colors instead of using a lacquer finish.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 12:56 pm    

Chris, I don't use all of those effects all of the time of course, but I play with a contemporary praise band, so we don't play very many songs that a straight, cryin' steel guitar sound fits. The steel guitar is a lot more versatile than a lot of folks give it credit for. We may play a country style song about twice a year, which is fine with me, I'm not a country music fan anyway.