| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestions? - String "sizzle"/buzz at the bridge
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 5:08 am    

A couple of my older steels have developed a problem. I haven't seen it mentioned before, although it probably has been somewhere. That is, some of the unwound strings start to have a slight "sizzle" or high-end buzz along with or part of the fundamental note. I am sure that is because the contact point where the string loops over the bridge finger has become worn or slightly grooved. That sound, although slight, drives me crazy. To "fix" that, I put a small bit of paper between the string and finger. That works, although (and it's no big deal) it looks kind of funky. Any other solutions that someone can suggest? Thanks.
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 6:34 am    

I too have the same problem on my 70's Shobud Professional. I have used emery cloth to smooth the grooves out but I still have the "sitar" buzz. It's not real pronounced but very annoying. It's on the E string on C6 and the G# on E9. I,too, have used paper and it helps sometimes but is not satisfactory. I thought it might be the long twist but I don't think that's it in this case
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:47 am    

I've had to fix this a couple of times in the last year or two.

I used a drimmel tool set at 15K and some simicrome on a small polishing pad. Once you start DO NOT dwell in one place but keep a smooth consistant motion following the radius of the finger.

Clean the finger and repeat this a few times until the groove disappears.

Be sure to keep the guitar covered as the simicrome polish will splatter all over the place.

You'll need a good pair of reading glasses to see the groove clearly and how you're progressing.

It took me maybe 10 minutes and the buzz was gone.

Also check that the string has a short twist as the longer twist will sometimes cause the string to ride slightly above the radius.

I got a buzz with the long twist and it went away when I switch to the short twist.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 8:12 am    

Some models of the Sho-Bud's tended to have that problem on certain strings. One "quick fix" is to wrap the string around the post the opposite way from the usual way. That puts more pressure on the roller nut and tends to eliminate the buzz.

Also, make sure the rollers are lubricated and that there are no "flat spots" on the rollers. I had buzz on my Franklin on the 3rd string and it turned out there was a very slight flat spot on the roller and that was causing it. I swapped it with the 9th string roller (the Franklin's are not gauged) and that stopped it until I got a new set of Rollers (It was 25 years old at the time and I figured at 25 years of heavy use it was time).

One thing Paul Franklin, SR, told me about the Sho-Bud's was that he did a lot of investigation into the buzzing problem and came up with the one gauge rollers (He told me what gauge but I don't remember) that fixed the problem. He said eventually Sho-Bud went to the one gauge and they didn't have any more complaints of buzzing.
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 10:19 am     short twist?

Dick Wood, I didn't know that you could get plain strings with a short twist. What brand has them, I'd like to try them out myself.

Geo
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 11:11 am    

Jagwires have a shorter twist than most which lets the string lay on the radius unlike a string like GHS.

Strings with a long twist will typically have a small couple of turns where the string wraps back around itself.

This causes it to ride slightly higher on the radius causing the string have a small gap at the top of the radius where it will vibrate against the finger.

Sometimes it will buzz with no pedal movement and then sometimes it will start to buzz just as you begin pushing the pedal down.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 11:30 am    

Thanks, everyone. Great info and suggestions. As one of you mentioned, the problem makes the note sound like it was played on a sitar. It really bothers my ears.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 12:06 pm    

A quick fix on a gig is to cut a small piece out of a beer or soft drink can, bend it over the finger
and put the string back on top. It will get you thru the night.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 2:27 pm    

an even quicker fix is just move the string over, slightly off center of the changer finger.
Bill Duve

Limestone .New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 11:17 pm    

I tore my BMI completely apart for this reason figuring wear (though not visible) on the shaft and 3rd finger and moved the axle over about 1/8" sideways, problem solved ! forever I hope.