| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  input on a fender triple 8
Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 2:31 pm    

hey fellas, i've seen a fender triple 8 on craigslist and the price seems reasonable. supposed to be early 50's ish since i'm a rookie i was just wonderin about issues to look for, type of sound (i really like don helms' sound), other options, etc. any info would be appreciated.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 2:53 pm    

The first is a Custom with one trapezoid pickup per neck:

The second is a Stringmaster with two pickups per neck---this model came out in '53 and the Custom (and its one & two neck brothers, the Deluxe and the Dual Professional) were discontinued shortly thereafter.

Both are wonderful guitars. At the risk of getting into word wars regarding sound descriptions, the Stringmaster is a twang monster. The Custom is probably closer to the Helms sound---a bit fatter and richer. In the right hands they both can do whatever job you want. Helms, btw, played a Gibson.
Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 3:08 pm     fender steel

hey jon, thanks for the info! the forum strikes again. (i like your avatar btw)
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 3:18 pm    

BTW---the things to look for in a used Fender are that all the pickups work, the output on all of them is reasonably evenly matched, and that all the tuning machines work well. Bad pickups can be pulled and fixed but the tuners are a notorious issue and can cause you some grief. IMO the presence of either problem should be a significant price reducer. Much more so than, for instance, rough finish.
Do you know which model you have there on Craig's?
Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 3:24 pm     fender steel

hey jon, thanks again. it's a custom triple 8. if you google fender steel guitar craigslist, it's the first link. check it out if you'd like. i emailed about the tuners and other issues...still waiting on a reply.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 3:57 pm    

Found it. I just bought it.

Kidding!

Sure looks nice and although I'm out of touch with current pricing it does sound like a good price. Hopefully someone here who is better versed in the market prices will give a more educated assessment of that.
Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 4:03 pm     fender steel

yeah, just based on what i've seen here on the forum it seems reasonable. we'll see what happens from there Very Happy
thanks again for the input
Michael Misetich

Irving, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 6:16 pm    

"Helms, btw, played a Gibson"

Just a note, Helms played a 1947 (or 1948) Fender Dual Professional on ET's "Letters Have No Arms" session and on the 1/9/1950 Hank Williams session that produced the hits "Why don't you love me", and "Long gone lonesome blues".

He used the Gibson on all of the subsequent Williams' sessions.

IMHO, its very difficult to distinguish Helm's work on the Fender from the Gibson. Again proving its the artist not the equipment that makes the difference.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 10:44 pm    

There is a triple neck Stringmaster on Ebay, which is advertised as a pedal steel guitar. There are no pedals on this guitar. I do not believe the date is correct on the advertising either. False advertising Laughing

Here is the Stringmaster
Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 8:13 pm     fender triple 8

cheers guys...the seller decided to sell locally, so i'll just keep lookin!
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 10:02 pm    

I looked at the T-8 on ebay , and was sort of surprised that it went for only 1275 bucks. It appeared to be in nice shape, and the case looked good too.
I suppose many sellers don't know a pedal steel from a banjo Very Happy
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 4:38 am     Sheeeshhh...

Bill Creller wrote:
I looked at the T-8 on ebay , and was sort of surprised that it went for only 1275 bucks. It appeared to be in nice shape, and the case looked good too.
I suppose many sellers don't know a pedal steel from a banjo Very Happy

Yeah, somebody got a TRIPLE for $1,275. From the looks of it, it's a 60's model, but still - a T8 vintage Stringmaster for only $625/neck. Not a bad deal.

I guess now is not the time for me sell any of my Stringmasters (not that I would, jus' sayin'...)

Oh Well
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 8:24 am     question

I know this is a stupid question,.....but, I have to ask..........since I only play a lap or dobro...and that is only one neck........with "3 necks"...what are the tunings.........is it standard....does it vary.......what are the fav tunings.....do you use them all in the same song...or in diff songs....
so much to learn......so little time...

GUESS THIS IS NOT REALLY A QUESTION..
BUT MANY QUESTIONS.. Very Happy
Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2008 9:41 pm    

Carroll,

Not a stupid question at all. There are lots of different tunings. Some of the most "classic" being:

C6
C6/A7
E7
A6
E6
E13
E9
B11
D9

with numerous variations within each tuning. For instance, some people prefer E for the high string on C6 with a low F while others prefer a high G and a low A.

Many eight string players prefer a 6th tuning for there main neck.

Some players play a double or triple neck guitar and just play one main tuning 95% of the time while others will hop from neck to neck within a single solo, so there really is no rule as far as that goes.

You could tune your double neck to E6 and B11, or you could tune your triple neck to A6, C6 and E13. Whatever suits your needs. Some players learn two or three tunings and just stick with that their whole lives, while others will experiment with new tunings constantly.

Pedal steel is much more standardized, with a vast majority of players using E9 on the ouside neck and C6 on the inside with a fairly standard set of pedal changes.

Hope that helps!

CS