| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Central Oklahoma Pedal Steel Guitar Asso MEETING SAT.APRIL 5
Lorren White

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 1:46 pm    

THIS NOTICE IS FOR ALL STEEL PLAYERS IN AN AROUND OKLA. CITY AND POINTS BEYOND!!FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS OUR CLUB HAS BEEN MEETING DEL CITY 3945 SE 15TH STREET. THIS LOCATION IS EASY TO GET TO EXIT SUNNYLANE OFF I-40 GO SOUTH TO SE 15TH TURN RIGHT AND JUST THREE SPOTS DOWN ON RIGHT IS THE LOCATION. THANKS TO KEN HOYT, WHO HAS OFFERED HIS OFFICE LOCATION "HIS LITTLE SCHOOL HOUSE" WHICH IF LAST MONTH IS ANY INDICATION WE MAY SOON OUT GROW. ANOTHER LOCATION HAS BEEN ARRANGED WHEN THIS HAPPENS. WILL HAVE THE SAME BAND AS LAST MONTH. THANKS TO KEN COLLINS HIS INTRUCTION WILL START AT 10:00 AM AND THE BAND STARTS AT 12:00. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LOG IN IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 3:39 pm    

Hi Lorren, Glad Ken's jam is doing well. However, the Central Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association has been dissolved, as of March 1st of 2008. The last official meeting of the COPSGC was the last Saturday of October, 2007. Nothing personal, but you were one of the officers, and were notified of this. This was also made public and posted here under "Events" under the thread: "COPSGC at Tuttle, Oklahoma is disolved-------------------" This was posted March 1st, 2008 at 9:25 am. Here's the link.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1123585&highlight=#1123585

Perhaps you'd like to explain this discrepancy? Are you usurping the old club? The club name?

So, to set the record straight, the last official meeting that the COPSGC had was October of 2007. It has not met since then. and is actually dissolved, the remaining funds returned to the originator of this club, as per my instructions as President of COPSGC. Lorren?
Ernie Dunlap

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 6:34 pm     COPSA-NAME

The name really doesn't mean anything. Its the atmosphere and the spirit that surounds the people
giving their time to help someone else. Call it what
you want to, its the fellowship and everyone feeling that they have a place waiting for them. Everyone is
welcome. James, everyone was looking forward to you being there. That was the first question asked when I arrived. Where is James. You most of all have spent countless hours teaching and sharing tring to help someone learn to be a better steel player and I respected that most of all. There are some that need
the social gathering and the music is icing on the cake. Its also mentally and physicaly stimulating
for some of our older players it give them something to look forward to. If everyone can leave the meeting and feel they are taking something home with them wheather its music related or from personal contact with another musician its healthy and fun.

LORREN-I will be there Saturday thanks for all the good work you have done.

Your Friend

Ernie Dunlap
James Morehead

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 7:25 pm    

Hey Ernie!! You have always had the kindest words, and now is no different. Thankyou, my friend for your warm words.

It's about setting the record straight, really to avoid any sort of confusion. COPSGC is dissolved. Read the above link. The last attended meeting was October. I was the only steeler to show up, and three or four others. The last weekend of February was the next officially scheduled meeting. And though interest was solicited for the meeting, there was zero responce. Thereby it was decided the club would be disolved, Thus it's announcement on March 1st.

Although a few of the former COPSGC members have been getting together with some other musicians for a few weeks, does not mean that COPSGC has been meeting all this time. There are new people in charge of the goings on now, (or there should be by now). This info means much to those who have a mind to come from afar, as to what is realy happening or not happening---this is quite confusing to outsiders. It remains to be seen if the jam will evolve back into a club. Anything is possible. If it does, it should warrant some type of an official announcement.

It's Ken Hoyt's jam. Ken, perhaps you can enlighten the folks here what your deal is all about, your goals, accomplishments, ect. Last we talked, you were just going to keep it as an occasional jam session?

At any rate, this contradictory thread Lorren started is probably an oversite, and a little miscommunication. That thread was closed pretty quickly, and perhaps some here didn't get to see it. There was a big long lull in interest and participation in the club, thus it's demise. So it seems the jam at Dell City is picking up the slack, and as Ernie says, that's great. Hang in there, boys, it may blossom yet!!
Jett Cornett

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 7:36 pm    

Monthly Oklahoma City Area Pedal Steel Jam April 5th is how this was posted early this week. I just added kens email to the post so others could see. I don't belive there is any name for the Jam, but maybe some will notice that members of ther club are attending. I think that was Lorren's intent.

1939 Gibson Lap Steel

Peavey LTD 400

I am A new player but will do what it takes to be the best steel player I can. With your help of course because I can't do it on my own
Jett Cornett

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 11:24 am     A Message from Ken Hoyt

A Message from Ken Hoyt

I have learned there is an individual who wishes me to enlighten folks on the forum about the Jam Session that goes on monthly in Del City, Oklahoma.

Well let me begin like this: The late Leonard Bernstein, composer and famed conductor of the world-renowned New York Philharmonic, was asked what he believed to be the most difficult instrument in the orchestra to play. He responded, “Second Fiddle!”

When you examine the life of any great individual, you soon discover an entire section of second-fiddlers, support people if you will, gifted in their own rights, but content to play their parts seated in the second chair.

Let me name of few who faithfully attend our “jam session.

Leroy Woods: In reality, a “First Chair” individual as well as steel player. Quietly works behind the scenes helping others learn to play the Pedal Steel; encouraging others to participate and enjoy the fellowship.

Lorren White: Another “First Chair” person who diligently works behind the scene helping to build the gathering into a cohesive group. A man that all you have to do is ask and he responds with positive action. A man who perceives action needs to be taken and takes appropriate positive action.

Bob Stewart: An ole driver like me who has been down the road and back only Bob knows how to play the instrument and willingly helps those of us trying to learn. What a guy- couldn’t ask for a better friend.

Gene Jones: A real “Professional”. Has played with the best (Conway Twitty), yet he doesn’t strive to show off or give the impression that he’s the best- rather provides a sense of comradeship that makes you proud to listen and learn from the master.

Let me highlight Ken Collins: What can you say about this professional that has not already been said by others. This artist takes time out of his busy schedule, shows up early, gives us amateur’s lessons as well as provides a strong catalyst for the group.

Ernie Dunlap: Another individual who works behind the scene encouraging others and takes the time to play for us when we are having lessons as well as during the Jam. Boy what a first class individual this guy is and can he ever play the lead guitar.

I could go on and name the drummer, the bass player, the vocalist, and a dozen more. But it doesn’t matter. Each of these guys is making a difference yet none are competing for “First Chair”.

Each and every attendee, when you examine their lives could probably be called a leader, one who, at a crucial juncture, stepped into our lives, fed our souls and met a particular need.

We often think of these great souls as loners, soloists, who step onto the scene, make a huge contribution, then disappear into the sunset. You know what I mean, like one of those guys out of a Zane Grey novel – grim-faced gunfighter who rides into town covered in dust, with a long-barreled six-shooter strapped to his side. And after single-handedly clearing the town of undesirables, he hops back on his horse and gallops toward the horizon.

On the contrary, all the individuals in our group whether “First or Second Chair” players, are enjoying the jam session immensely, having great fellowship, and building lasting memories. And every one of them contributes in their own way with their own talents.

So… want to have a wonderful time, come to the group jam. Doesn’t make a lick of difference what we call the group- it’s just a group without a leader, it is a group of respectful players diligently serving as back-up to those first-chair heroes.

Watch the forum, one of these great guys will let you know when the next jam session will be conducted. We don’t have a set day each month because we need to adjust to the schedules of those attending. Until then, have a great time steeling and hope to see you soon.

1939 Gibson Lap Steel

Peavey LTD 400

I am A new player but will do what it takes to be the best steel player I can. With your help of course because I can't do it on my own
James Morehead

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 7:59 pm     Re: A Message from Ken Hoyt

Jett Cornett wrote:

So… want to have a wonderful time, come to the group jam. Doesn’t make a lick of difference what we call the group- it’s just a group without a leader, it is a group of respectful players diligently serving as back-up to those first-chair heroes.

Well said Jett, Thanx for the courage to stand up and explain things. Not many would "bother".

That keeps things in the open. It would be a shame for someone to travel a long ways, for instance, just to find it's not what they expected.

Though "whatever name" does not matter to those that were at the jam today, it IS important to show respect for those--in the fore front as well as behind the scenes, who tried so hard to serve and please the COPSGC crowd. The name AND the experience of being involved with the COPSGC, IS sacred to some who served and attended.

Glad ya'll had a great time. Hang in there, and most of all, don't forget to have fun!! Smile
Jett Cornett

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2008 12:49 pm     That last message was from Ken Hoyt

That last message was from Ken Hoyt to clear up any misunderstanding. He used my forum name because his forum fees and password are not yet delivered and processed due to him sending his application through the mail.

1939 Gibson Lap Steel

Peavey LTD 400

James Morehead

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2008 5:28 pm    

Doesn't matter to me, Jett, my message stands. I guess you can pass the compliment to Ken, then. Whoa! Laughing