| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting A pedal 1/2 depressed using A pedal and Lever
Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 10:11 am    

I've got a newbie question. I'm working on a tune that calls for the A pedal to be depressed halfway.
I've got a lever that will lower the B string a half step. I'm thinking if I push the A pedal fully down (raising the B a full step) and then engage the Lever (lowering the B string a half step) I should get a raise on the B string by a half step ( same as pushing the A half way down). When I try this, it's close but it's not quite in tune. Is this something I should be able to do, or should I just work on getting the A pedal half way down. The A pedal and the lever are both working fine and are in tune. Thanks.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 10:32 am    

Hi Gerald,

In order to do what you want you need to have a "split tuning" for that combination. What you said logically makes sense, but it does not work.

There are two ways to achieve what you are looking for depending on the the type of guitar you have. Do a search for split tunings. There was a recent post on this and it should take care of all your questions.

Regards,

Mark T.

Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AZE III, Fender FRFR 12
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 10:49 am    

Gerald,

Pushing the A pedal 1/2 gives you one sound or phrasing because the note slowly comes to pitch.

Pushing the A pedal all the way down in combination with the knee lever will give you the same end result as far as a chord goes but the phrasing changes because now the note doesn't slowly pull to pitch.

Playing 1/2 pedal moves isn't easy because it's all about your ear and foot working together smoothly and accurately.

Lastly,if your pedal/knee lever combination isn't tuned properly,it will sound off to you compared to using only the A pedal only.

You must get the 6th string lower and A pedal tuned together so they come to the correct pitch when used together.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 1:05 pm    

Gerald, I thought about other ways to achieve the same result same as you because the "half way down A pedal trick" seemed so hard at first, but I opted for tryin to learn this technique and you'll be surprised how quickly it starts to fall into place with a little practice. Stay with it.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 3:07 pm    

The 1/2 A pedal is something you will grow into. I know you think it is tough now but your ear will tell you what is going on. I like it on Together Again. A pedal down, up 1/2, up all the way then lower the B's with the LKV.
You will get it and be using it in a ton of songs. Smile

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 5:23 pm    

One way to get the half-step raise on string 5 is to move a half step down (flat) from the no pedal position and press the A and B pedals with the E to F knee lever. It's more work than using the half pedal, but at least you know it's in tune....

Gabriel
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 5:06 am    

Gerald, it's really nice to be able to get the 1/2 tone raise using the A pedal and Bb (A#) knee lever so here's a couple of ways to do it. You can try a different string gauge and it might work. On my old ShoBud I used an .018 on string 5 and it worked perfectly. When I got my BMI it wouldn't come in tune but with a .017 it does. Also if it's slightly out of tune another thing you can do is experiment with the position of the pull rod on the bellcrank, that might make a difference too..........JH in Va.

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 9:12 am    

On some guitars splits are precisely tuned by the installation of extra rods that work in what seems a very counterintuitive manner. This is the usual way to do it accurately, as I found out through lots of playing with string gages and other stuff (the string gage method does work on some guitars, but I've seen it drift out of tune as the strings age).

On my GFI (which is not in E9, but a unique B6) there are 4 splits - two are 1/2 step raise,two are 1/2 step lowers. With string gages I could not get them dialed-in...they were off just enough to sound a touch out-of-tune. But with the additional rods (which should be easy to install assuming you have unused raise holes in the changer for the string you need to "split") they are perfectly in tune.

The "split" rods are always, from my understanding, installed on the raise part of the changer but the LOWER bellcrank. From there, the tuning method varies depending on the guitar (from what I've been told).

The manufacturer of your steel should be able to get you the rods you need and tell you how to install them. I hadn't gotten that deep into a rodded guitar when I did it to my GFI, and they figured out exactly what I needed and supplied me with the correct rods, nylon tuners, bellcrank attachment parts and clear instructions. I'd think any other current manufacturer should be able to do the same thing. If the maker is out-of-business, You could contact Bobbe Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville or Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County - either one should be able to get the parts and instructions for you IF your guitar is capable of adding the parts.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 10:35 am     Old Fender 1000 pedals !!

When I used to play some pedal steel my Fender 1000 would lower the B 1/2 to Bb and when I raised the B to C# then hit the off pedal it would drop to C and give that nice aug. chord !! And was pretty much in tune O.K. !! I don't know anything about new modern systems but this worked for me back when !! Eddie "C: ( the old non-pedal geezer )
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 10:53 am    

When I got my GFI about a year ago it was first experience with the B lower lever and I use it quite often in combination with the B pedal. For a minor chord with A and B depressed and for a descending line starting with the minor with just the B pedal then lowering to the minor chord with major 7th by lowering the same string with the B string lower pedal then to open for the minor 7th. It works for me. If you're playing an ascending line then playing 1/2 pedal would be the way to go. I'm certainly no expert on the mechanics of a pedal steel, so I don't know if this works with other guitars, I just play what works for me.
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 11:22 am    

Gerald, I had the same problem about 12 yrs. ago. I was told to keep at it and I'd get the hang of it after a while. Well, I could nail it 8 out of 10 times, but it seemed those 2 that I missed were when I needed it the most. I solved the problem by putting the half-raise on me inside left knee. I lower me E's with my inside right knee. Jeff Newman told me I was wasting a knee lever, but I have found more beautiful chords using the two knees along with the B pedal. It's a tough choice,but for me it was well worth it. I would never go back to the old set-up.
Fred
Eddy Scheepers

Belgium, Europe
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 1:18 pm     A pedal and LKV used together

I use the A pedal down and LKV up all the time. It works perfectly on my Carter. Doesn't have split tuning on the 5th string though . On the 6th yes, but not on the 5th. As I said: it works great. Just another feather on Bud Carter's cap... Very Happy

Eddy