| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter starter upgrade
Rick Vizzi

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 6:25 pm    

I acquired a nice used Carter Starter and am impressed by its tone and intonation for being an inexpensive guitar. I have some minor issue with one of the knees, but I can do a little work on it if it persists.
Anyway, after starting to get used to a Williams SD10 with 4+5, I miss being able to raise the 2nd string and a couple other things. Can I add any raises or lowers to this guitar, i.e., are there rods,etc. available, and if so, how much can I add? I've tried emailing the contact at the Carter Starter website, but never got a reply. What is the maximum capability of this guitar?
James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 7:02 pm    

I've got one, and you can change it up, but there are some limitations. For instance, the bellcranks are welded, so those will never line up straight, unless you replace shafts, etc. and the changer lowers are fixed. You can do whatever raises you want. An easy workaround for lowers is to take the stopbar off the lower half and take a dremel, or something else and cut the rest of the slots in. Then you need springs for every finger, though. Haven't tried it myself, bcause I'm almost due for an upgrade. Can't keep the lkl form feeling spongy, though- if that was the kl problem!

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 6:27 pm    

Hi James, thanks for your input. Well, I know I could do some machine work on it, but my real question was, and I emailed Carter about it and never got a reply for some reason, do they sell extra rods or whatever parts are necessary to upgrade? Thanks!
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 8:25 pm    

They will not sell any upgrade parts for Starters and will tell you so. I have up-graded two Starters in the past and it isn't difficult. The Starter can be switched from the Emmons setup to the Day fairly easily by switching shafts around. The E changes can be moved to the right knee from the left also. The lowers are fixed, but as mentioned above, careful slotting of the stop bar and the addition of comparable springs will solve that. Carter does not want upgrades or additions done on these guitars as they would rather the owner switch to one of their pro models instead when the player is ready for that. The flip-flop changer in a Starter is very similar in design to very early Shot Jackson retro-fits and very early Sho Bud's of the era. The changer works well. If you want to add pedals or knees, you'll simply have to make the parts yourself or find a second guitar from which to pilfer parts. But they CAN be altered if you want.
PRR
Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2009 9:03 am    

Can someone please tell me if its relatively easy to change a half step pull to a whole?

I'm thinking of getting a used "starter" to leave at the rehearsal space but I would really want string one to pull to a G# not a G.

The Carter website would lead you to believe nothing can deviate from the preset copedent. Ever.

Thanks

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2009 10:19 am    

Just wondering,I'm sure there are some repair guys out there that could do just about anything,but why spend the money and time on a Starter or Mavrick,when you could spend it on a pro guitar.[just my opinion] don't beat me up.about a year ago I was thinking about the Starter to use at some small gigs because of the weight,I play 74 MSA d-10 classic,I ran into a guy [a newbe] that bought a new Starter,he asked me if I would help him set it up,Glad I did,changed my mind in a HURRY. DYKBC.

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2009 12:06 pm    

Well -I wouldn't want to get into making parts for this thing. Typically it should be as simple as adjusting the travel of the pull, but since I've never seen one up close I don't know if that is possible.

The reason I'd consider this for a second guitar is the price. I've seen some used for about $500.

For the simple convenience of no set up and tear down for practice every week, its worth it to me.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2009 12:51 am    

If you slot out the restricted bar at the bottom of the changer so that all 'lowers' can be obtained on an all 10 of its strings, then add a comparable balance spring to hold each blade in place, the Starter can do ANYTHING!!! It is intentionally restricted to the confines of its factory setup, but its potential is endless. It contains a well-engineered 'flip-flop' changer that do anything you want it to do. Why bother? The guitar is feather-light, doesn't exhibit a horrendous amount of cabinet drop for its overall design, and you won't have to re-mortgage your house to buy one. True, there are areas that could be drastically improved upon, but the owner didn't pay out five grand for it.
The bellcranks are permanently affixed to their respective shafts, so I, personally, would make up a new set of shafts and cranks which can be installed anywhere. That's just me...others would move on.
The guitar has the potential...it's all in whether the owner wants to go that far.
PRR
Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 7:03 am    

Thats good news Paul - -some people would think its silly, but for me, who already has a good guitar and is looking for a second guitar, it makes sense to spend $500 and put a few hours of work into it to set it up how I like it.

Spending $1500 for the next level up is just not possible right now. Seems like all the student model guitars are either crippled in some way, or offer pull/release changers which aren't as easy or flexible to change around. If the Zum stage one had an all pull changer I'd be all over it!

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 3:13 pm    

you have to buy a chain to chain it to the floor lol reminds me of a old GE washer I had once you leave the room and come back and it walked out to the end of the hoses lol that thing was alive