| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Perkins with Jim Lauderdale, James Burton & Ronnie Tu
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2008 9:49 pm    

I was just talking with Al. He will playing with Jim Lauderdale and the Dream Players on 3/19 on Letterman. The Dream Players include James Burton and Ronnie Tutt. He told me that he will be playing one of his 11 string ZB's (gotta get cases to him). Interesting combination. Jim Lauderdale has this team on his new album "Honey Songs".
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 5:17 pm    

This deserves to go to the top to see Al & his ZB (although I wish he was playing his Anapeg!)
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 5:19 pm    

'Loved Ron Tutt with the JGB!
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2008 6:27 am    

I believe it's the Leno show as opposed to the Letterman show....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2008 9:14 pm    

bump, and I checked nbc.com, Jim Lauderdale is on Leno 3/19 Wednesday
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 7:13 am    

I watched this last night,Couldn't read the label on Al's guitar it was dark on his part of the stage.The mix was weird it seemed like the steel was just coming thru the reverb send in the studio board?It was still cool seeing those guys on T.V.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Chris Buchanan

Macomb, IL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 7:51 am    

James Burton was way out front, with Al mixed well behind. It should have been the other way around, since Al was carrying the song while James did fills, but hey...James Burton, right? Great performance by all, though. One heck of a team. Looked like James and Al were having fun.

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 10:43 am    

I caught that last night on Leno. Al was playing an Anapeg and it did sound a bit thin and dare I say it - out of tune. Also the drummer was the great David Raven - one of the best singing drummers in L.A. Check him out here. He fronts this band and writes the tunes. http://cdbaby.com/cd/mojomonkeys
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 10:55 am    

Al was playing his Anapeg-though the nameplate was impossible to read on my non-high definition TV. I downloaded the album today & the mix on the album is similar- I thought the steel cut right through on Leno-but it is more pronounced on the CD. I was really glad to get a recording with his Anapeg-similar to Brumley's sound, but different. I didn't really think it was thin-he was mostly playing above the 12th fret & it was a nice contrast to Burton's great licks. Those guys should tour-I'd love to see James Burton & Al together. I'll try to post a link to the show-the performance is 40 minutes in.http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/video/episodes.shtml
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 10:59 am    

Michael,I agree something was out of tune,It sounded like the legendary James Burton to me,I could be wrong my TV's a piece of crap. Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 11:12 am    

Thanks Tom for the link to NBC, it came through crystal clean on my computer speakers and screen. I love Jim L. and I thought the song was very good and he kept alot of room in it for Al and James to accompany. Overall I thought for TV the sound was fine.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 6:20 pm    

As well as Al, James & Dave, Dusty Wakeman was on bass, and it looked like Doug Pettibone on 2nd gtr.
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 8:45 pm    

My DVR cut off the recording in the middle of the song. I could never hear the steel. I also saw Al with Michael Martin Murphy about three years ago, and there was no steel in the mix there, either. Can this Al guy even really play?Wink
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 8:41 pm    

You bet Al Perkins can play! He's been at it a long time, back to the days of Gram Parsons. He had a couple of cuts on the Pacific Steel Company album years ago (with Brumley, Rhodes, Maness, and Sneaky Pete). He has played with some greats over the years. At one time he played a Fender 1000, and used a ZB for years too. Not only is he great on steel, he plays a mean Dobro too. I think he played Dobro with Emmy Lou's band, the Nash Ramblers.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 1:48 am     The Great Al Perkins!

Hey Jason , Dig up Gram Parson' Grevious Angel album & listen to the interplay ,between AP & J Burton. Hearts on fire , Las Vegas , Hickory Wind ,Love Hurts. Or Buddy Millers early work ,Al does some sweet stuff as does Steve Fishell. Keep in mind that this band backed Elvis ,John Denver ,The Muppets ,Emmy Lou. YES he can play , If you would like a few of my favorite tracks let me know , You gotta hear Dear John "we sent your saddle home" on John Prines recent CD of duets , on more than one occasion he shares the steel work with Buddy Emmons ,no slouch either, Al is my Favorite. Billy Lee Fraser

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 4:44 am    

Jason Stillwell wrote:
Can this Al guy even really play?Wink

Do your homework and find out for yourself. A little steel guitar history lesson would be to your benefit Jason. Your question shows a huge lack of respect.

JP
Bill Cutright

Akron, OH
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 6:38 am    

Something's definitely out of tune between James and Al. And the song he chose: really, just a monotone of the Maj7 note in G (F#) - that coupled with the fact that JL isn't too strong of a singer...it was nails on the blackboardish, for me.

Jim, IMHO, has never been able to duplicate the artistic level of his first album, "Planet of Love".

But, the silver lining was learning I can review the Leno show, after the fact... waycool. Is there a similar site for the others (Letterman, Conan, etc.)?
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 6:55 am    

I agree James.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 7:15 am    

I liked the song they did on Conan last month (Feb 19th). Both James and Al had solos on it, and Al was playing a stand-up non-pedal.

Also Conan introduced the group as "Jim Lauderdale with legendary pickers James Burton and Al Perkins."
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 10:52 am    

I think Jason's wink Wink was there for a reason and not a true questioning of Al's abilty.

Russ
Stephanie Carta

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 4:15 pm    

Loved it! Very Happy I've got to pick up the album. Jim Lauderdale has such an authentically country voice.. like the old days, and works with the best country musicians ever. IMHO

Also, the fourth FBB record with Al Perkins has been reissued by Sierra Records.

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 4:30 pm    

Russ Tkac wrote:
I think Jason's wink Wink was there for a reason and not a true questioning of Al's abilty.

Russ

I read the post that way too. In fact, I would hazard a guess that Jason is an Al Perkins fan, as am I.

Thanks for the heads up about the show.
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 6:50 pm    

Wink Wink Wink Wink

Russ, you got it, bud! No disrespect intended (except for possibly the man behind the soundboard at MMM's show.) I'm not as look as I dumb in my avatar. (wink, wink)
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 9:04 pm     Perkins On Dwight Yoakum Tune

There is a Dwight Yoakum tune called, "It Only Hurts Me When I Cry," which has Al Playing a pedal steel part on a non pedal rig...what I am getting at is the unique sound he gets by imitating and implying but not using a pedal steel...in my opinion a brilliant piece of work...He doesn't actually take a solo in the song but he makes his point; a truly well styled sound for the song....Peter
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 9:13 pm    

Peter, I'm pretty sure that's Tom Brumley on that cut...but you may be right.

I used to play gigs with Al out here in LA, and he is a monster on no-pedals steel. He used to play a double neck ZB that didn't have pedals for the back neck - A6, I think - and he would just burn it up big time.

edit...
OK, so my memory's not that good. I dug out the LP and gave it a listen, and you're absolutely right...that's Al, playing a perfect non pedal part to the tune.