| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Barcus Berry Magnetic Reso Pickup?
David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 9:19 am    

I know they don't make these any more and some people really like them.

I have one and was wondering what makes it desirable by players and the value ?

I often feel it can give my reso more electric qualities(overtones and sustain) than acoustic . Sometimes thats cool but not always . Its Better thru an Acoustic amp

I was thinking about getting the new Fishman and possibly having both as an option to blend

Any thought or info would be really appreciated

-Dave
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 5:03 pm    

I have a Barcus-Berry mounted on one of my reso guitars. I installed it for the infrequent times that I was in a session with electric guitars. At that time, it was a question of either being heard, or not sitting in at all. Attempts to control the feed-back in a loud situation were too frustrating. Tone was not a consideration.

For attempting to create an acoustic tone from the reso, I mounted a piezo on the spider. This piezo certainly gives a more acoustic tone, along with a good preamp, than the Barcus-berry does, but the piezo has a point where feedback problems arise.

More recently, after Barcus-Berry pickups had been out of production for awhile, I mounted an inexpensive jazz guitar humbucker on an inexpensive acoustic, purely for playing through a modeling amp.

As you stated, David, there is a time when the electric properties seem cool. It sounds to me that you want all of the different tones, and to me, that means more than one pickup for the guitar.

I've gone the route of using a stereo output receptacle, with a special cord for the signal coming from the ring portion of the receptacle, and I've also used two receptacles for two pickups. I prefer two receptacles because I can use normal guitar cords in each. I never blend the pickups. I am looking for one type of sound or the other.
David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 9:28 am    

Thanks for the reply

I think your idea is probably what I am leaning toward . Having More options

When recording I have had some cool results with playing the a reso with a Barcus Berry thru my Mesa Boogie and then micing the amp and the guitar separately . Then in mixing them both together.

Even overdriving the amp and blending it with the acoustic sounded really interesting.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 9:20 am    

David, I have one of the Barcus-Berry pickups on one of my Dobros for loud playing situations. You'd be surprised how you can enhance your reso sound with one of these if you put it through a good quality phase shifter. It seems to bring back some of the "nasal" qualities of resonator guitars.......JH in Va.