| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mich Steel Jam Report
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2001 10:29 pm    

I'm happy to report that the Steel Jam in Trufant MI was a rousing success. Attendance was down this year though and a number of our favorite players were not in attendance, but those who did attend played very well. Although this is basically a "round robin" jam, there was no playing on top of others' playing this year and the sound was great. Just a couple of highlights: Bob Cole from Indian River played a pristine version of Lily Dale which impressed me immensely. The venerable Al Marcus was having trouble with his new guitar, so he sat down to Clayton Lyon's LeGrande II and played several jazz/big band numbers with rich chordal harmonies which we all greatly enjoyed. Gene Calkins has a new modified C6th tuning on the inside neck of his triple Stringmaster which is also capable of producing some huge fat chords, as he aptly demonstrated throughout the afternoon. The backup band was real good and featured three new players this year. We enjoyed the chow and the fellowship. It was just a great afternoon of music all the way around.

Tim R.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 10:27 am    

Hi Tim, glad you got back home ok. I really enjoyed all the great pickers there, YOU included along with Bob Wright, and As you mentioned Bob Cole, Clayton Lyon, and Skeeter. All played great!

Pete Domier had a good tone on that old Fender 3 pedal 1 knee lever.

And the Gene Calkins is really somethin on that triple neck fender. He certaintly showed that you don't need pedals . That's about as good as non-pedal playing that I have heard in a long time.

It's too bad that it is only once a year , we should do that maybe every 6 months. What is so much fun is instead of a staged show, we all get to play, no matter whether we are beginner or advanced......al

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 12 June 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 3:08 pm    

Tim and Al-

Nice to have met both of you. Maybe I can make it up for another one, possibly bring my guitar. The sound was good in there, with the high ceiling and wood floor. Clayton was nice enough to let me play his Emmons Legrande for a little while. That was fun.

Jeff
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 6:11 pm    

Hi Jeff,

It was indeed a pleasure to meet and talk with you. Yes, please do come back and bring your steel. We have a couple of other annual things going on here with the Michigan Steel Guitar Club, such as a great picnic at Harrison with live steel guitar music and a major steel guitar show in Grand Rapids. There are some super steel players in this state, and you live close enough to the state line that we could probably consider you a Michigander for steel guitar purposes. Please feel welcome to come back and join in the music and fellowship.

Tim R.
Bob Cole

Indian River, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2001 5:47 am    

Tim, Thanks for the kudo on "Lily Dale"! This was my first time at that jam and I was very surprised at how well it went. There was none of the clashing that I was warned to expect. I'll definately go again next year and as Al said too bad it's only once a year.
BTW, Is it true you're going to get a backup power supply for your amp?
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2001 8:47 pm    

Yes Bob, that would be a good idea! I no more finished that chorus on "Night Life" and suddenly no power. Fortunately you swung right in there and grabbed the lead without missing a beat! Meanwhile Bill was scrambling around behind me trying to find a live outlet, then Skeeter started crawling around back there, those two put on quite a show themselves. They finally got me some power right about the end of the tune as I recall. It was humorous to say the least. I like humor, don't you? Seriously, you did a very fine job in bailing me out. You're right, next year I guess I will need to have my own portable generator out in the yard and run an extension cord in the window. If my power goes out all I'll need to do is run out and pour in a little more gasoline and pull the rope! Too late I now realize that I should have listened to my mother's advice and taken up harmonica or trombone or piano (secretly I have always wished I could play @ccordi@n or b@njo). Oh well...

Tim R.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 3:30 pm    

Clayton Lyons called me with the details.
I'm sorry I missed the jam, had to babysit my niece and get my lungs back from the previous nite's gig. I must be getting old, the second-hand smokes gives me a hangover!

Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 4:05 pm    

We missed you too, Drew. That Trufant air is so pure it would have cleaned out your lungs.
..........al
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2001 12:34 pm    

Dont forget Sunday Dec. 9, Harrison , Mich. Dinner and Jam, Michigan Steel Guitar club. It's about a three hour drive from Cedar Springs and my son has offered to go up there with me.....al
Al Marcus

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 9:55 am    

Don't forget the Picnic and Jam at Harrison this sat. June 16.

MY family is getting together at my home, for Fathers Day, so I am sorry that I can't make it. But you all have fun....al